Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Street Trucks

Notices

Comprehensive 5-lug 2nd gen lowering info.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:42 AM   #21
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) USS La Jolla (SSN 701) Veteran
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Schertz View Post
so if I want a minimal drop but a little added performance on handling go with bilstien shocks and struts for a .5 in drop?
Yes.

Night and day difference from XR suspension and base model suspension.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #22
Kavik
Kavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rylan
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Alright I found the QA1 on paradise racing but I am unsure of which ones to get. Is there a specific part number I can search?
Old 11-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #23
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjboutin View Post
QA1 adjustable rear shocks.

TS703 - 18 way adjustable shocks are desirable for any drop.
I choose to order from Luis at Paradise Racing because they are the cheapest, give him a call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavik View Post
Alright I found the QA1 on paradise racing but I am unsure of which ones to get. Is there a specific part number I can search?
TS703 for 18 way.

TS701 (I think) for 12 way.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:14 AM   #24
Kavik
Kavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rylan
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

TS703 for 18 way.

TS701 (I think) for 12 way.
Hmm, I searched the site with that part number and it didn't pull up anything, I will try again or maybe I will just call up after I get off work.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #25
Mob parking lots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavik View Post
Hmm, I searched the site with that part number and it didn't pull up anything, I will try again or maybe I will just call up after I get off work.
Yeah, it's best to just call and ask for Luis.

Tell him you have a lowered Tacoma, and he'll take care of the rest.

Sometimes it can be difficult to get ahold of him because he does race internationally.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #26
Mr.Schertz is on a distinguished road

Mr.Schertz's Tacoma Gallery
wheres the best place to get the bilstiens? Are they easy to install?
Old 11-22-2012, 12:03 PM   #27
Mob parking lots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Schertz View Post
wheres the best place to get the bilstiens? Are they easy to install?
www.magauto.com

They're easy if you've ever replaced a shock. lol
Old 11-25-2012, 06:17 PM   #28
Peanut butter mini time
Phil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
Phil Dammit's Tacoma Gallery
Nice reference hell of a coverage of the dropping method. If anyone needs drop spacers let me know.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #29
Hot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Hot Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Some info that might be helpful to add to the already super-helpful 1st post in this thread...

The part number for the MOOG ball joints for a 2005-2011 base model Tacoma is as follows. I'm assuming nothing has changed for 2012-2013?:DJM now sells their lowering kits with the ball joints already pressed in. I don't know what brand they use, but the photos show that they are grease-able. Considering DJM only charges <$100 more for kits that include the ball joints, that's a money and time saver if you're not going to use your OEM ball joints:I'd so like to go the route of getting the front control arm kit with the joints already pressed-in, but I'm thinking that having the control arms sand blasted and powder coated might be a good idea since the DJM finish has a tendency to flake-off pretty quickly (in my experience).
Old 12-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #30
Peanut butter mini time
Phil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
Phil Dammit's Tacoma Gallery
Big thread on xru about powder flaking and 1st gen fatigue/failure on the calmax arms. Just got my set, plan on beefing them up and repowder coating them.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #31
Hot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
-0.5" (base) or 0" (XR) Bilstein shocks.

The taller one is the driver's side to accommodate the weight of the gas tank.
This is why the infamous "Taco lean" is not overly prevalent on 2nd gens.

I'm a little confused here... why would a truck see a 0.5" drop due to shocks? Why would a shock help correct the "Tacoma lean"? The weight of the truck is resting on the leaf springs, not the shocks. Am I missing something?

I would think that in order to correct the lean, one would have to use different sized lowering blocks.

I'm guessing the one shock is longer than the other to help the shock better control the heavier side of the vehicle (gas tank and driver), but I don't think it has much to do with ride height.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:30 PM   #32
Mob parking lots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Taco View Post
I'm a little confused here... why would a truck see a 0.5" drop due to shocks? Why would a shock help correct the "Tacoma lean"? The weight of the truck is resting on the leaf springs, not the shocks. Am I missing something?

I would think that in order to correct the lean, one would have to use different sized lowering blocks.

I'm guessing the one shock is longer than the other to help the shock better control the heavier side of the vehicle (gas tank and driver), but I don't think it has much to do with ride height.
The longer shock compensates for the driver's side due to driver's weight and gas tank, correct.

The Billies are shorter than the base model Tokico black shocks, that's why you'll have a difference in ride height.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #33
Mob parking lots.

Quote:
Some info that might be helpful to add to the already super-helpful 1st post in this thread...

The part number for the MOOG ball joints for a 2005-2011 base model Tacoma is as follows. I'm assuming nothing has changed for 2012-2013?:DJM now sells their lowering kits with the ball joints already pressed in. I don't know what brand they use, but the photos show that they are grease-able. Considering DJM only charges <$100 more for kits that include the ball joints, that's a money and time saver if you're not going to use your OEM ball joints:I'd so like to go the route of getting the front control arm kit with the joints already pressed-in, but I'm thinking that having the control arms sand blasted and powder coated might be a good idea since the DJM finish has a tendency to flake-off pretty quickly (in my experience).
Pasted to first post.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:26 PM   #34
Bizarroterl is a splendid one to beholdBizarroterl is a splendid one to beholdBizarroterl is a splendid one to beholdBizarroterl is a splendid one to beholdBizarroterl is a splendid one to beholdBizarroterl is a splendid one to beholdBizarroterl is a splendid one to behold
Bizarroterl's Tacoma Gallery
You forgot the Hellwig rear sway bars.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:29 PM   #35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizarroterl View Post
You forgot the Hellwig rear sway bars.
Swaybars don't have much to do with lowering a truck "Suspension performance modifications" would probably be another topic.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:36 PM   #36
Bizarroterl is a splendid one to beholdBizarroterl is a splendid one to beholdBizarroterl is a splendid one to beholdBizarroterl is a splendid one to beholdBizarroterl is a splendid one to beholdBizarroterl is a splendid one to beholdBizarroterl is a splendid one to behold
Bizarroterl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Swaybars don't have much to do with lowering a truck "Suspension performance modifications" would probably be another topic.
Reread Ryan's posts.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:41 PM   #37
Ah... I see... he ventured into the performance area in his own post by mentioning the XII Performance sway bars. Gotcha.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:11 PM   #38
NoelsMyKuya is on a distinguished road
Name: Aaron
NoelsMyKuya's Tacoma Gallery
I have the QA1s installed and my rear driver's side is slightly higher than the passenger's at about an inch. Is that because they are both the same in length? BTW, where can I find the part number on these shocks?
Old 01-31-2013, 06:24 PM   #39
Mob parking lots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoelsMyKuya View Post
I have the QA1s installed and my rear driver's side is slightly higher than the passenger's at about an inch. Is that because they are both the same in length? BTW, where can I find the part number on these shocks?
Turn the shocks all the way down, jump up & down in the bed, then turn them back up. This kind of distributes the fluid through the valves and evens things out.
Take note of how many clicks it takes to turn down. If they differ, that's why you had the height difference.

18 way adjustable that we use is TS703 or TS704. As far I can tell from the QA1 site, the only difference is price.

I don't recall the 12 way adjustable part number.