Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Street Trucks

Notices

Shackle Mount Cross-member vs x-brace?

Old 12-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #1
Kavik
Kavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rylan
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Shackle Mount Cross-member vs x-brace?

I was looking for an x-brace but I ran across this Shackle Mount Cross-member, anybody have any opinion on these vs the x-brace?

Old 12-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavik View Post
I was looking for an x-brace but I ran across this Shackle Mount Cross-member, anybody have any opinion on these vs the x-brace?

Some opinion on the Defined product here

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...gineering.html
Old 12-15-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
I'm going that route over the x-brace when mine gets built up. Made more sense to me, not sure why.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:10 PM   #4
Kavik
Kavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
I see, look like it is very similar to the x-brace but I am not sure if I would like not running a spare. But this is another option as far as stiffening the rear a lil bit more.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
Kavik
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
I'm going that route over the x-brace when mine gets built up. Made more sense to me, not sure why.
Probably because finding an x-brace is ridiculous.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:28 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
What do you want it for? Adding frame rigidity? For what purpose?
Old 12-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #7
Kavik
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
What do you want it for? Adding frame rigidity? For what purpose?
I was just gonna see if it has any benefits to lowered trucks, but it looks like the main design application is for offroad trucks.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #8
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavik View Post
I was just gonna see if it has any benefits to lowered trucks, but it looks like the main design application is for offroad trucks.
There are a couple applications. It adds some rigidity to the rear of the frame (although not much), which is why the dropped guys like it...helps with suspension stability a bit. Honestly though, if beefin' the rear frame is what you want to do, I'd say either have it boxed/plated by your favorite fab guy, or have him whip up a custom crossmember. Or both.

Supposedly for the offroad guys it helps you keep from bending your leaf shackles, but that's the wrong way to solve that problem. The right way is to get rid of that bullshit shackle hanger that Toyota came up with altogether. Again, consult your favorite fabricator:

Old 12-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #9
Kavik
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
That is a lot of good information, I just wish I could find a fabricator that does decent work in the Fort Worth area.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:42 PM   #11
Kavik
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquez808 View Post
i just found an x brace here in hawaii for 200 SO STOKED. sorry to rub it in lol
Well it looks like it is kind of a gimmick from what I have read. It looks like its better to go with an aftermarket sway bar apparently.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:40 AM   #12
357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: dough boy
357sig's Tacoma Gallery
Was wondering about this as well. I have a x brace sitting in my garage
Old 02-11-2013, 04:48 PM   #13
Peanut butter mini time
Phil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
Phil Dammit's Tacoma Gallery
I plan on doing a sway bar from xii performance, thats the proper way to do it for us lowerdz guys.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #14
Kavik
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Dammit View Post
I plan on doing a sway bar from xii performance, thats the proper way to do it for us lowerdz guys.
Let me know how it goes!
Old 02-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #15
Peanut butter mini time
Phil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
Phil Dammit's Tacoma Gallery
This will probably happen in the summer, but ill keep you posted