Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Street Trucks

Notices

Rear shocks question???

Old 02-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
Slammed or lifted.. ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN STOCK
Brendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: BRENDEN
Brendo Ballz808's Tacoma Gallery
Rear shocks question???

I bought my Tacoma with 2" blocks and this pass weekend i added in 4x4 leafs
Future plans is to notch the back and add 4" blocks

I took out the bumpstop and put in low pros but i bottom like crazy!

I wanted to know any recommendations for rear shocks to stiffen the ride

QA1's are out of the question at the moment but will probably be in the future

The truck is an 05 Base and prolly has the original shocks on em

Mahalo
Attached Thumbnails
Rear shocks question???-imag0253.jpg   Rear shocks question???-imag0245.jpg  
Old 02-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #2
Hot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Hot Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Did you measure how much drop you have in the rear (compared to OEM)? I'm assuming that with the 4x4 leafs and 2" blocks, the rear drop is about 3"?

A better solution than using shocks to resolve your temporary bottom-out issue would be to put in air bags. The cheapest route would be to install the kit and use a bike pump or the like to adjust the pressure, as opposed to buying an on-board compressor. Shocks are not designed to prevent your vehicle from bottoming-out, they're there to stabilize the leaf springs.

Even so, QA-1's are your only option for adjustable shocks as far as I know. There might be air shocks that fit the Tacoma, but I can't imagine they're any cheaper than the QA-1s and I wouldn't recommend them.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:49 PM   #3
Brendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yeah I think it's about a 3-3.5 drop in the back
Seems like the 4x4 leafs are actually softer but that's just me
I'll prolly run some air shocks if my old ones from my other truck fit as a temporary
Try a save up for the djm kit with the notch

Thanks tho
Old 02-19-2013, 10:34 PM   #4
NoelsMyKuya is on a distinguished road
Name: Aaron
NoelsMyKuya's Tacoma Gallery
Very clean taco you got there! Nice wheel choice too.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoelsMyKuya View Post
Very clean taco you got there! Nice wheel choice too.

Thanks bro

I bought the truck with the wheels
Im looking to change the tires however
Currently running 255/50/19 Toyo's
its to tall for a drop though
Old 02-24-2013, 08:12 PM   #6
Dafuq
Who Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ricky
Who Dat Popcorn's Tacoma Gallery
Why are QA1's out of the question?
Old 02-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #7
MIAtaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Brian
MIAtaco's Tacoma Gallery
i would contact djm and see what they recommend
Old 02-25-2013, 10:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dat Popcorn View Post
Why are QA1's out of the question?
Only for the moment
eventually when I'm finish with the whole drop they will be apart of my kit if not just the Calmax rears
I'm just gonna save to buy everything one time
Old 02-25-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
Kavik
Kavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rylan
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendo Ballz808 View Post
I bought my Tacoma with 2" blocks and this pass weekend i added in 4x4 leafs
Future plans is to notch the back and add 4" blocks

I took out the bumpstop and put in low pros but i bottom like crazy!

I wanted to know any recommendations for rear shocks to stiffen the ride

QA1's are out of the question at the moment but will probably be in the future

The truck is an 05 Base and prolly has the original shocks on em

Mahalo
This looks familiar...
Old 02-26-2013, 12:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavik View Post
This looks familiar...

haha almost like braddahs
btw love your build

are you djm up front?
Old 02-26-2013, 06:54 AM   #11
Kavik
Kavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rylan
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
haha almost like braddahs
btw love your build

are you djm up front?
Not yet, currently just 3 inch drop blocks and QA1s.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavik View Post
Not yet, currently just 3 inch drop blocks and QA1s.

It would be nice if it didn't cost and arm and a leg
I miss how easy my other trucks were to drop just torsions and blocks haha
it will sit real nice when you do it though!
Old 04-28-2013, 08:30 AM   #13
Mr.Schertz is on a distinguished road

Mr.Schertz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It would be nice if it didn't cost and arm and a leg
I miss how easy my other trucks were to drop just torsions and blocks haha
it will sit real nice when you do it though!
What tires and wheel combo do you have? How much did it set u back? Im trying to decide what to get
Old 04-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Schertz View Post
What tires and wheel combo do you have? How much did it set u back? Im trying to decide what to get
The 20s I got I bout em for $800 with tires but they go for $3000 brand new

20x9 up front +20 mm offset
20x10 put back +35 mm offset

The front and rear both sat flush to the fender at stock height when I dropped it the front wheels came in a bit
Was running 245/35/20 up front and 275/30/20 out back

I'm not gonna run those wheels I'm gonna be running 18x9.5 +22 all around on 225/45/18 all around should sit flush to the fender