1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thinking about going from Lifted to Lowered Possible

Discussion in 'Street Trucks' started by roverTx, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Mar 10, 2013 at 9:14 AM
    roverTx

roverTx [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Biloxi, MS
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 Silver/Black
    3" Lift, Thrush Muffler, Two 10" Subs, JVC Head Unit, Halo Projector Head Lights
    I am looking for some advice and information on driving a lowered tacoma. I have an 06 Double Cab Pre-Runner that is lifted 3". I am possibly considering going back the other way and lowering it because I just recently bought a 2013 Honda Rancher 420 4x4 so the need for offroad capabilities is not needed on my truck. I am wondering what is the mpg change on lowered trucks and what are the pros and cons of it. Also what is the difference between slammed and bagged and what's better. Thank you in advance.

2. Mar 10, 2013 at 9:28 AM
    Supra TT

Supra TT Supercharged Lifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2000 SAS D60 F/R Supercharged
    Supercharged on One Tons
    There really isn't any benefit in gas mileage. Unless you are running larger tires right now than stock. Lift really doesn't affect mileage. Just bring it back to stock, that will be the best mpg it can achieve.

3. Mar 10, 2013 at 9:30 AM
    roverTx

roverTx [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Biloxi, MS
    Vehicle:
    3" Lift, Thrush Muffler, Two 10" Subs, JVC Head Unit, Halo Projector Head Lights
    Currently I have 33 inch a/t on it. I was thinking that maybe street tires would raise the mpg as well.

4. Mar 10, 2013 at 9:34 AM
    Supra TT

Supra TT Supercharged Lifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2000 SAS D60 F/R Supercharged
    Supercharged on One Tons
    The MPG difference will be made by the weight of the tires. Check out how much difference they weigh. Lighter... better :cool:

5. Mar 10, 2013 at 10:42 AM
    roverTx

roverTx [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Biloxi, MS
    Vehicle:
    What would I need to bag it? That way I could ride at stock height as well as lowered

6. Mar 10, 2013 at 10:58 AM
    roverTx

roverTx [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Biloxi, MS
    Vehicle:
    I was just stating I don't need a lifted truck anymore because I have a rancher now.

7. Mar 10, 2013 at 11:02 AM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    Lower will certainly help mpg. I can't seem to find the Cd coefficient of drag numbers but at one time I found them and the difference between a 5-lug at 4 inches lower than 4x4/prerunner was significant.

8. Mar 10, 2013 at 11:04 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    There's a reason Le Mans cars try to hide as much of the wheel from the surrounding atmosphere as possible. It creates wicked drag. Lowering in and of itself will give you better MPG based on drag.

9. Mar 10, 2013 at 7:53 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    if you lower it, shed the weight of 4x4 shit, get smaller and lighter tires I will bet you see a 2-3 mpg gain over stock.

Now as far as bagging and slamming it...for the love of god don't do that to save mpg. Especially bagging it. Are you really going to hack into your frame and delete all of your suspension parts to fab a fully bagged truck? Not to mention properly bagging a truck is big bucks, so you would lose any money saved by lowering it and shedding weight bagging it.

On top of that all you can really get out of your pre runner is about 3" of drop, until you want to fully rebuild the front suspension and to a leaf flip out back. There is a lowered pre runner on here, I forget his name...but thats what you got. If you want better mpg....sell the truck. If you want better mpgs and want to keep the truck to use it...return it to stock to save the most money. If you have money to blow for the sake of spending it and you like the look and stiffer ride of a lowered truck then go ahead and do a 2-3" drop.

Products Discussed in

To Top