LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Street Trucks

Notices

street Taco exhaust...

Old 12-24-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
street Taco exhaust...

I wanted a really unique street Taco exhaust, so I punched a hole in the rear bumper and had a custom exhaust shop guy with a mandrel bender fabricate a pipe to fit. This is the result...

I also installed the largest MagnaFlow muffler I could find (22" long 5"x11" oval). So it sounds really deep and mellow.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:20 AM   #2
Slammed or lifted.. ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN STOCK
Brendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: BRENDEN
Brendo Ballz808's Tacoma Gallery
That's pretty dayum sweet!!! I'm happy I ran my exhaust over my axle and go rid of the dump cuz due to it being too much drone but I hate the piping looks like shit!! The exhaust shop I took em to was the only ones open on that day and I just had em do it the sound is nice but the welds look like shit and it isn't mandrel it's just pipes bent and welded together I'd hate to do it again being the 3rd time doing it over by the end I will have spent more than a cutback cost hahah

But in the end that's pretty slick idea you did there I
Old 12-27-2013, 02:56 AM   #3
III is on a distinguished road
III's Tacoma Gallery
theres something about that i like... wouldnt really think i would... a dual somehow of that would be kinda cool too haha
Old 12-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #4
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendo Ballz808 View Post
That's pretty dayum sweet!!! I'm happy I ran my exhaust over my axle and go rid of the dump cuz due to it being too much drone but I hate the piping looks like shit!! The exhaust shop I took em to was the only ones open on that day and I just had em do it the sound is nice but the welds look like shit and it isn't mandrel it's just pipes bent and welded together I'd hate to do it again being the 3rd time doing it over by the end I will have spent more than a cutback cost hahah

But in the end that's pretty slick idea you did there I

It cost $400 to get it done just right. But for a totally custom one of a kind mandrel bent cat back system it was well worth it.
I also had mine dump behind the rear axle, and it was pretty quiet there as opposed to dumping in front of the rear axle.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:21 PM   #5
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by III View Post
theres something about that i like... wouldnt really think i would... a dual somehow of that would be kinda cool too haha

I thought about doing that because it would look really neat... but didn't want to give up the low end torque by opening up the exhaust system. What I like most is that absolutely none of the exhaust is hanging down below the truck body. Everything is tucked away snug and out of sight.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:14 AM   #7
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
If Toyota would do that from the factory it would be sweet.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:49 AM   #8
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquez808 View Post
Eh I thought u were sticking with the stock exhaust? Didn't u say u were losing low end torque with the magnaflow? You bought another?

Hey Jesse,

Yes I did lose low end, and this is how I addressed that issue.

Our Tacos use metric sized exhaust tubing which comes to 2 3/8" OD. So I had the muffler guy run smaller 2 1/4" OD mandrel bent exhaust tubing to compensate for it. He wanted to run 2 1/2" OD, but that would have opened up the exhaust too much. I actually could have done this with the first MagnaFlow, but the solution didn't occur to me at the time. I'm just glad it did now. The truck sounds great, while still retaining the low end pull. So if you ever get your rear pipe redone, use undersized 2 1/4" OD and it will work the same for your Taco.

Greg
Old 12-28-2013, 02:02 PM   #12
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
looks pretty dam good man!

i probably would have opted for duals though

I would have, too... except that would open up the exhaust system and kill the low end torque.

Greg
Old 12-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #13
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Cool idea btw. what did you use to make the clean circle. Hole saw? I'd love to get rid of that exit pipe hanging off the passenger side. Throws things off cosmetically imo.

I used a sharp 3 1/2" hole saw running at slow speed so that it wouldn't jump around and scratch the surrounding area.

If you feel on the inside of your bumper, you'll find a cross member will impinge on the bottom of the hole. So whoever does your pipe bending will have to be really good to slightly angle the exhaust pipe downward at the end so as to clear that member. A non critical lip on the rear frame also needed to be cut out. That rear pipe has a bunch of compound angle bends in it to snake it's way over and around everything including the spare tire. The guy who did mine bar none does the finest exhaust work I've ever seen in my life.

Greg
Old 12-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #14
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacolover55 View Post
If Toyota would do that from the factory it would be sweet.

They likely won't... because exhaust from the rear bumper could get sucked up and inside a camper shell. Behind the tailgate is a low pressure area when the truck is in motion.

Greg
Old 12-28-2013, 11:08 PM   #15
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ah I see! So just the piping after the muffler is where you used the 2-1/4? Cool when I finally get this this taken care of I will do that!

Yes... only the pipe between the muffler and the rear bumper is 2 1/4"OD.

I found out that it's ok to run a long tube header and a 2 1/2" core muffler, just as long as the end of the exhaust system is slightly reduced to compensate, because the end is the final determinant of flow.

Greg
Old 12-29-2013, 12:41 AM   #16
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
They likely won't... because exhaust from the rear bumper could get sucked up and inside a camper shell. Behind the tailgate is a low pressure area when the truck is in motion.

Greg
Did not know that but anyways it looks good man! I may now have to do this in future.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:50 PM   #18
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for the info Greg you fart smeller I mean smart feller!

It's my pleasure, Jess...
...and lots of fun experimenting just to find out what works.

Greg
Old 12-30-2013, 08:02 AM   #19
Peanut butter mini time
Phil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
Phil Dammit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post

Our Tacos use metric sized exhaust tubing which comes to 2 3/8" OD. So I had the muffler guy run smaller 2 1/4" OD mandrel bent exhaust tubing to compensate for it. He wanted to run 2 1/2" OD
Why do muffler shop guys always want to do this? After dicking around with 2.25" exhaust on the 2tr I went back to stock just for the sake of sanity. Nice and quite. Need to tweek the bend at the dump over the axle so it will clear it some more. Then I will replace the highflow kitty that is hollow at the moment and pop on the LCE header.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:25 AM   #20
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Dammit View Post
Why do muffler shop guys always want to do this?

Because most customers are looking to increase high rpm top end performance. Our slow turning 2tr's are not the norm. The muffler guy wasn't insistent. He just offered his opinion that he thought it would be better running 2.5". And I considered it, but decided on the smaller pipe. And now after driving the truck, I'm really glad I did. The combination of an oversized MagnaFlow and 2 1/4" pipe out the back is a pleasantly mellow compromise between stock and a loud performance exhaust. The engine pulls great at low rpms and it sounds nice.

Quote:
After dicking around with 2.25" exhaust on the 2tr I went back to stock just for the sake of sanity. Nice and quite. Need to tweek the bend at the dump over the axle so it will clear it some more. Then I will replace the highflow kitty that is hollow at the moment and pop on the LCE header.
You'll like the LCE. It's the best mod on my truck.