Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Street Trucks

Notices

Can you paint a billet grille?

Old 03-23-2009, 05:10 PM   #1
aoehrle11 is a splendid one to beholdaoehrle11 is a splendid one to beholdaoehrle11 is a splendid one to beholdaoehrle11 is a splendid one to beholdaoehrle11 is a splendid one to beholdaoehrle11 is a splendid one to beholdaoehrle11 is a splendid one to beholdaoehrle11 is a splendid one to behold
Air Force: Air Force Special Operations Command/ Air Force Space Command/ 5th Air Force
Name: Drew
aoehrle11's Tacoma Gallery
Can you paint a billet grille?

I have a chrome billet grille, and I was thinking about painting it black. Can I just sand it and paint it? Or is it best to have a pro do it?
Old 03-23-2009, 05:28 PM   #3
"The Dude"
El Duderino 480 is a glorious beacon of lightEl Duderino 480 is a glorious beacon of lightEl Duderino 480 is a glorious beacon of lightEl Duderino 480 is a glorious beacon of lightEl Duderino 480 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Jeremy
El Duderino 480's Tacoma Gallery
i am thinkin about doin that too, not too fond of chrome..06bluez did that to his, give him a PM
Old 03-23-2009, 05:55 PM   #4
Fire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fire931's Tacoma Gallery
i just did mine on sunday actually.. painted it with rustoleum satin black. it turned out really good. just sanded the polished surface and then painted..
Old 03-23-2009, 07:58 PM   #5
aoehrle11 is a splendid one to beholdaoehrle11 is a splendid one to beholdaoehrle11 is a splendid one to beholdaoehrle11 is a splendid one to beholdaoehrle11 is a splendid one to beholdaoehrle11 is a splendid one to beholdaoehrle11 is a splendid one to beholdaoehrle11 is a splendid one to behold
Air Force: Air Force Special Operations Command/ Air Force Space Command/ 5th Air Force
Name: Drew
aoehrle11's Tacoma Gallery
Did you guys just use regular spray paint?
Old 03-24-2009, 03:13 PM   #6
The StormTrooper
TightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TightShirts
TightShirts's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoehrle11 View Post
Did you guys just use regular spray paint?
yes, black gloss enamel... i recommend staying away from the $.99 cans from walmart... they suck! i usually buy the $6-7 cans from ACE hardware, it's worth it and will last you 6-7 times longer. just do what BrunesDoesTRD said and sand it a bit first, it will help the paint adhere to the metal better.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:16 PM   #7
"The Dude"
El Duderino 480 is a glorious beacon of lightEl Duderino 480 is a glorious beacon of lightEl Duderino 480 is a glorious beacon of lightEl Duderino 480 is a glorious beacon of lightEl Duderino 480 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Jeremy
El Duderino 480's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TightShirts View Post
yes, black gloss enamel... i recommend staying away from the $.99 cans from walmart... they suck! i usually buy the $6-7 cans from ACE hardware, it's worth it and will last you 6-7 times longer. just do what BrunesDoesTRD said and sand it a bit first, it will help the paint adhere to the metal better.

can i use the same paint we used on my hubs and use it on my grille??
Old 03-24-2009, 04:41 PM   #9
The StormTrooper
TightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino 480 View Post
can i use the same paint we used on my hubs and use it on my grille??
yep, just note that we used FLAT black on your hubs so it won't be glossy... for the grill you don't need high temperature paint, we just used that for your hubs since your brakes will get hot, but it will work

i also recommend removing the metal from the grill itself instead of masking off the front of the truck. then i usually use a metal shirt hanger to keep from touching it but anything such as string, wire, or zip ties can be attached to hang it for painting and drying. maybe this will be another video write-up i can make after i get done with the lift one.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:45 PM   #10
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
if you can look for Montana spraypaint. its paint for "aerosol art" (graffiti) and it lasts forever and its very fade resistant and wont chip. The only downside is its like $8.00 a can.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:15 PM   #11
The StormTrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Jerk View Post
and wont chip.
az is full of rocks tho, i've seen powder coated grills that have chips... imo for AZ it's not worth it to spend a lot of money on paint, go a bit cheaper and just repaint or use touch-up paint