Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Street Trucks

Notices

Slammed Pickups... WHY?

Old 09-18-2009, 01:01 PM   #1
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
Slammed Pickups... WHY?

Honestly, I think it's funny to see slammed pickups with custom wheels and loud exhaust... I just think, "You should've bought a sports car." Yes, yes, I know it's a "style" but I just don't get it. It seems more like the latest trend than a true style. These are trucks, made for hauling materials and gear and stuff. Doesn't slamming them seriously reduce the load capacity? It seems that everyone is forgetting about the vehicles designed to be low-slung and sporty and noisy from the factory. They are called sports cars.

Maybe some of you can resist the urge to flame me and just educate me about the appeal of a slammed street truck vs. a true sports car. "It's different" does not count because slammed pickups are very common.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:04 PM   #2
mmmm tacos!
nad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
nad's Tacoma Gallery
well it has been a style that people have liked for a long time its not a latest trend. its just personal opinion, you wouldnt do it and thats your opinion, which happens to be same as mine. but they want to do it and its their opinion.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:35 PM   #3
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGXR View Post
Honestly, I think it's funny to see slammed pickups with custom wheels and loud exhaust... I just think, "You should've bought a sports car." Yes, yes, I know it's a "style" but I just don't get it. It seems more like the latest trend than a true style. These are trucks, made for hauling materials and gear and stuff. Doesn't slamming them seriously reduce the load capacity? It seems that everyone is forgetting about the vehicles designed to be low-slung and sporty and noisy from the factory. They are called sports cars.

Maybe some of you can resist the urge to flame me and just educate me about the appeal of a slammed street truck vs. a true sports car. "It's different" does not count because slammed pickups are very common.
There is no "educating you" Your style isn't to slam a truck and drive around on bags...so be it. Don't do it.

I'm sure you like to dress a certain way and eat certain foods- and there are lots of folks who don't want to do the same. No talking you OR them into changing...so why bother?? Let the dropped trucks be dropped and do whatever you please with yours...
Old 09-18-2009, 01:37 PM   #4
rabble rabble rabble
dud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Humane Officer
Name: Dan
dud122's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dud122
if you read the OP like Jerry Seinfeld was telling a joke its funny...

so whats with these slammed trucks, i don't get it...

otherwise its a waste of time
Old 09-18-2009, 01:44 PM   #5
//TRD
XR-Ace will become famous soon enough

XR-Ace's Tacoma Gallery
ahem the x-runner is not "slammed" you can still haul stuff.. the x-runner is a merge between a sports car and a truck..the best of both worlds i guess. But i agree with op i personally am not a fan of "slammed" trucks.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:46 PM   #6
rabble rabble rabble
dud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Humane Officer
Name: Dan
dud122's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dud122
Quote:

how do you educate someone on how something appeals to someone else??
Old 09-18-2009, 01:53 PM   #7
el tráfico más lento se queda derecha
SManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Vehicle preference is a very social aspect of people's lives so its easiest to see the point when you put it in these terms. Whether you're hetero or homo, christian or atheist (or whatever), you probably have a hard time grasping how the other side can think what they think. Its just like that.

And no, I'm definitely not saying people with slammed trucks are homo atheists.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:03 PM   #8
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

you are retarded....

lowered trucks have been around since the 80's.....

and i bet you everyone on here that has 'slammed' trucks are not flaming....

schooled
Old 09-18-2009, 02:07 PM   #9
86ceeten has a spectacular aura about86ceeten has a spectacular aura about

Name: Brian
86ceeten's Tacoma Gallery
I love em'. I have a slammed 86 C-10. Planning on dropping it a few more inches soon. It's all a personal opinion. If I wanted a sports car I would buy one. I'm sure most of the lowered trucks you see are not used for hauling "materials, gear and stuff", although most of the properly lowered ones will do just fine.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:08 PM   #10
Anthony999 is a jewel in the roughAnthony999 is a jewel in the roughAnthony999 is a jewel in the roughAnthony999 is a jewel in the rough

Anthony999's Tacoma Gallery
Im a fan of both lowered and lifted. Its just personal preference. My truck is stock height right now but if I had the money it would be bagged. If you dont offroad and have no intention of towing, but still like the look of a truck, then its perfect. Especially if you want something custom.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:20 PM   #11
I want a taco
Jsword is on a distinguished road

Army:
Name: Julio
Jsword's Tacoma Gallery
Slammed Pickups... WHY?

why not?
Old 09-18-2009, 02:21 PM   #12
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
BAM!

i like that
Old 09-18-2009, 02:21 PM   #13
Anthony999 is a jewel in the roughAnthony999 is a jewel in the roughAnthony999 is a jewel in the roughAnthony999 is a jewel in the rough

Anthony999's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsword View Post
Slammed Pickups... WHY?

why not?
Old 09-18-2009, 02:24 PM   #14
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
you never saw a slammed dually with a 5th wheel?? each bag can hold 2500lbs. alot of my friends rock body dropped trucks and bust my chops and i do the same to them. its still the love for trucks wether its dropped,raised,or a 800 hp 1/4 truck.
here is a link to a billion slammed trucks that will out haul 10 times over and still look sick
http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...tart=0&ndsp=20
even a slammed s10 can hold more wood,dirt,large tv than a sports car.

this your not hauling crap in but kinda cool.different
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3D20%26um%3D1

edit: i dont get the prerunner. my reason is here in jersey we get killed in the winter so 4wd is a must for me.
i dont get a lifted prerunner on 44s. there is no reason for that.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:27 PM   #15
I LiKe TaCos
BluTaco08 is just really niceBluTaco08 is just really niceBluTaco08 is just really niceBluTaco08 is just really nice

BluTaco08's Tacoma Gallery
To each their own..and whatever "style" is yours, good for you. I'm a fan of lifted trucks, but just because it's a truck doesn't mean it has to be lifted.

As long the owner is happy with it, it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks because it's not theirs to have an opinion about.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:57 PM   #16
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
well personally, i dont think its really great. but i think in certain applications if done right, it looks really good. i thought about dropping mine bu tim jsut gonna keep it at stock height and get bigger rims.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:04 PM   #17
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Not my style but there's nothing wrong with it. It's different....
They're 'enthusiasts' just like we are - just in a different format.

It's GREAT that people can take one truck and do sooo many things with it.

This was taken back in 2000 @ Carlisle All-Truck nationals.

It's funny to see them draggin & flying sparks.... or when they put hydraulics in 'em and make 'em jump around.

This was funny.... we were at another Carlisle All-truck Nationals in 2002. We had an RTI ramp there that we were all taking turns playing on. This low-rider truck drove by and we were cheering for him to get on the ramp.

The fact the guy had a good attitude enough to do it....It was pretty cool. You had to be there!
Old 09-18-2009, 03:59 PM   #18
jspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
jspadaro's Tacoma Gallery
Personally I'm in agreement with the OP... I like to purchase things for their intended purpose, because that's what they'll do best. I buy a pickup for offroading, hauling, towing, or something similar. I buy a jeep to go offroad with. I buy a sports car for the track, and I buy a muscle car to win in a 1/4 mile.
I never understood slamming trucks, because it serves no purpose to me. The result is not fast, and while it may roll less, it still will not perform to the level of a true track car.

It isn't even "about the look" because it looks retarded.

People can do what they want, but slammed mini trucks isn't something I'll ever understand or appreciate, beyond the mechanical skill required to properly augment the suspension, which I'll admit is considerable.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:04 PM   #19
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspadaro View Post
Personally I'm in agreement with the OP... I like to purchase things for their intended purpose, because that's what they'll do best. I buy a pickup for offroading, hauling, towing, or something similar. I buy a jeep to go offroad with. I buy a sports car for the track, and I buy a muscle car to win in a 1/4 mile.
I never understood slamming trucks, because it serves no purpose to me. The result is not fast, and while it may roll less, it still will not perform to the level of a true track car.

It isn't even "about the look" because it looks retarded.

People can do what they want, but slammed mini trucks isn't something I'll ever understand or appreciate, beyond the mechanical skill required to properly augment the suspension, which I'll admit is considerable.
so you do not mod your truck just to make it look better and to make it your own?not everybody has the money to buy 10 trucks/cars and use each one for one certain thing.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:07 PM   #20
jspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
jspadaro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdiddy View Post
so you do not mod your truck just to make it look better and to make it your own?not everybody has the money to buy 10 trucks/cars and use each one for one certain thing.
No, actually, I refuse to mod my truck in a fashion that actually _reduces_ what I can do with it, because it's stupid. It's like putting a bodykit on a civic, which I also refuse to do.

Upgrading suspension, tire size, etc within reason, I like the look of (i think overly jacked up trucks are just as retarded as slammed ones), but when I do it to my truck I'll be doing it for offroad purposes.

There's a reason I'm not going to get a non-functional bull bar and am instead looking at other options. Non-function BS is stupid. And so is lowering your truck to make it useless for its intended purpose to the point that you can't clear a speedbump.

And to clear this up: I only own my tacoma. I just meant that I wouldn't buy something (a truck) to try to make it something else (a sports car). I would just buy the correct item for what I wanted to do with it in the first place.