1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Slammed Pickups... WHY?

Discussion in 'Street Trucks' started by DGXR, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Sep 18, 2009 at 12:01 PM
    DGXR

DGXR [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    Honestly, I think it's funny to see slammed pickups with custom wheels and loud exhaust... I just think, "You should've bought a sports car." Yes, yes, I know it's a "style" but I just don't get it. It seems more like the latest trend than a true style. These are trucks, made for hauling materials and gear and stuff. Doesn't slamming them seriously reduce the load capacity? It seems that everyone is forgetting about the vehicles designed to be low-slung and sporty and noisy from the factory. They are called sports cars.

Maybe some of you can resist the urge to flame me and just educate me about the appeal of a slammed street truck vs. a true sports car. "It's different" does not count because slammed pickups are very common.

2. Sep 18, 2009 at 12:04 PM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    well it has been a style that people have liked for a long time its not a latest trend. its just personal opinion, you wouldnt do it and thats your opinion, which happens to be same as mine. but they want to do it and its their opinion.

3. Sep 18, 2009 at 12:35 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    There is no "educating you" Your style isn't to slam a truck and drive around on bags...so be it. Don't do it.

I'm sure you like to dress a certain way and eat certain foods- and there are lots of folks who don't want to do the same. No talking you OR them into changing...so why bother?? Let the dropped trucks be dropped and do whatever you please with yours...

4. Sep 18, 2009 at 12:37 PM
    dud122

dud122 rabble rabble rabble

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Riverdale Park, MD
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DC
    OME up front, Dakar in the back, Elite front bumper, Warn winch, Tactical rear bumper with tire swing/jerry cans/hi lift, Revenge Fab. sliders, Tundra brakes, Camburg UCA's, Safari Snorkle, FJ TRD wheels, Lights, CB, Switches, skids, LED's... OH MY!
    if you read the OP like Jerry Seinfeld was telling a joke its funny...

so whats with these slammed trucks, i don't get it...

otherwise its a waste of time

5. Sep 18, 2009 at 12:44 PM
    XR-Ace

XR-Ace //TRD

Member:
    O.C. California
    Vehicle:
    08 SWB X-Runner aka "BLUE BEAST"
    Evo Mod// Eagle Eye Halo Projectors// Magnaflow Exhaust// Yellow Foggies// Trd Badge
    ahem the x-runner is not "slammed" you can still haul stuff.. the x-runner is a merge between a sports car and a truck..the best of both worlds i guess. But i agree with op i personally am not a fan of "slammed" trucks.

6. Sep 18, 2009 at 12:46 PM
    dud122

dud122 rabble rabble rabble

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Riverdale Park, MD
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DC
    OME up front, Dakar in the back, Elite front bumper, Warn winch, Tactical rear bumper with tire swing/jerry cans/hi lift, Revenge Fab. sliders, Tundra brakes, Camburg UCA's, Safari Snorkle, FJ TRD wheels, Lights, CB, Switches, skids, LED's... OH MY!

how do you educate someone on how something appeals to someone else??

7. Sep 18, 2009 at 12:53 PM
    SManZ

SManZ Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    Vehicle preference is a very social aspect of people's lives so its easiest to see the point when you put it in these terms. Whether you're hetero or homo, christian or atheist (or whatever), you probably have a hard time grasping how the other side can think what they think. Its just like that.

And no, I'm definitely not saying people with slammed trucks are homo atheists.

8. Sep 18, 2009 at 1:03 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    you are retarded....

lowered trucks have been around since the 80's.....

and i bet you everyone on here that has 'slammed' trucks are not flaming....

schooled:cool::rolleyes:

9. Sep 18, 2009 at 1:07 PM
    86ceeten

86ceeten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    NW Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road PreRunner
    Limo tint, 18x10 Diamo Karat, Toyo 285-60's, Rear TSB, 5100's all around, front at 2.5", Debadged, Sound System (evolving)
    I love em'. I have a slammed 86 C-10. Planning on dropping it a few more inches soon. It's all a personal opinion. If I wanted a sports car I would buy one. I'm sure most of the lowered trucks you see are not used for hauling "materials, gear and stuff", although most of the properly lowered ones will do just fine.

10. Sep 18, 2009 at 1:08 PM
    Anthony999

Anthony999 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Glendale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    MB Seven X Wheels, Hankook Optima Tires, Billet Grille, Blacked out headlights tailights and third brake light, LEER 700 Series tonneau cover, Blacked out emblems, Wolo air horn, Sony Xplod stereo, 8" Bazooka subwoofer, painted to match bumpers, leather arm rests.
    Im a fan of both lowered and lifted. Its just personal preference. My truck is stock height right now but if I had the money it would be bagged. If you dont offroad and have no intention of towing, but still like the look of a truck, then its perfect. Especially if you want something custom.

11. Sep 18, 2009 at 1:20 PM
    Jsword

Jsword I want a taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Julio
    Oahu
    Slammed Pickups... WHY?

why not?

12. Sep 18, 2009 at 1:21 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    BAM!

i like that

13. Sep 18, 2009 at 1:21 PM
    Anthony999

Anthony999 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Glendale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    MB Seven X Wheels, Hankook Optima Tires, Billet Grille, Blacked out headlights tailights and third brake light, LEER 700 Series tonneau cover, Blacked out emblems, Wolo air horn, Sony Xplod stereo, 8" Bazooka subwoofer, painted to match bumpers, leather arm rests.
    :thumbsup:

14. Sep 18, 2009 at 1:24 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    you never saw a slammed dually with a 5th wheel?? each bag can hold 2500lbs. alot of my friends rock body dropped trucks and bust my chops and i do the same to them. its still the love for trucks wether its dropped,raised,or a 800 hp 1/4 truck.
    here is a link to a billion slammed trucks that will out haul 10 times over and still look sick
    http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&um=1&q=slammed+dually&sa=N&start=0&ndsp=20
    even a slammed s10 can hold more wood,dirt,large tv than a sports car.

this your not hauling crap in but kinda cool.different
    http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/attachment.php%3Fattachmentid%3D432124%26stc%3D1%26d%3D1234993938&imgrefurl=http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php%3Ft%3D329472&usg=___8ovxf7F-krKQND-HcBU_tbGhKw=&h=482&w=642&sz=28&hl=en&start=23&um=1&tbnid=v1ZQuncIx4FeZM:&tbnh=103&tbnw=137&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dslammed%2Bdually%26ndsp%3D20%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26start%3D20%26um%3D1

edit: i dont get the prerunner. my reason is here in jersey we get killed in the winter so 4wd is a must for me.
    i dont get a lifted prerunner on 44s. there is no reason for that. :)

15. Sep 18, 2009 at 1:27 PM
    BluTaco08

BluTaco08 I LiKe TaCos

Member:
    To each their own..and whatever "style" is yours, good for you. I'm a fan of lifted trucks, but just because it's a truck doesn't mean it has to be lifted.

As long the owner is happy with it, it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks because it's not theirs to have an opinion about.

16. Sep 18, 2009 at 1:57 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    well personally, i dont think its really great. but i think in certain applications if done right, it looks really good. i thought about dropping mine bu tim jsut gonna keep it at stock height and get bigger rims.

17. Sep 18, 2009 at 2:04 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Not my style but there's nothing wrong with it. It's different....
    They're 'enthusiasts' just like we are - just in a different format.

It's GREAT that people can take one truck and do sooo many things with it.

This was taken back in 2000 @ Carlisle All-Truck nationals.
    [​IMG]

It's funny to see them draggin & flying sparks.... or when they put hydraulics in 'em and make 'em jump around.

This was funny.... we were at another Carlisle All-truck Nationals in 2002. We had an RTI ramp there that we were all taking turns playing on. This low-rider truck drove by and we were cheering for him to get on the ramp. :D
    [​IMG]

The fact the guy had a good attitude enough to do it....It was pretty cool. You had to be there!

18. Sep 18, 2009 at 2:59 PM
    jspadaro

jspadaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    Personally I'm in agreement with the OP... I like to purchase things for their intended purpose, because that's what they'll do best. I buy a pickup for offroading, hauling, towing, or something similar. I buy a jeep to go offroad with. I buy a sports car for the track, and I buy a muscle car to win in a 1/4 mile.
    I never understood slamming trucks, because it serves no purpose to me. The result is not fast, and while it may roll less, it still will not perform to the level of a true track car.

It isn't even "about the look" because it looks retarded.

People can do what they want, but slammed mini trucks isn't something I'll ever understand or appreciate, beyond the mechanical skill required to properly augment the suspension, which I'll admit is considerable.

19. Sep 18, 2009 at 3:04 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    so you do not mod your truck just to make it look better and to make it your own?not everybody has the money to buy 10 trucks/cars and use each one for one certain thing.

20. Sep 18, 2009 at 3:07 PM
    jspadaro

jspadaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    No, actually, I refuse to mod my truck in a fashion that actually _reduces_ what I can do with it, because it's stupid. It's like putting a bodykit on a civic, which I also refuse to do.

Upgrading suspension, tire size, etc within reason, I like the look of (i think overly jacked up trucks are just as retarded as slammed ones), but when I do it to my truck I'll be doing it for offroad purposes.

There's a reason I'm not going to get a non-functional bull bar and am instead looking at other options. Non-function BS is stupid. And so is lowering your truck to make it useless for its intended purpose to the point that you can't clear a speedbump.

And to clear this up: I only own my tacoma. I just meant that I wouldn't buy something (a truck) to try to make it something else (a sports car). I would just buy the correct item for what I wanted to do with it in the first place.

Products Discussed in

To Top