Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Street Trucks

Notices

ive got a question

Old 04-21-2010, 04:34 PM   #1
red neck toy is on a distinguished road
Name: earle
red neck toy's Tacoma Gallery
ive got a question

id like some good advice here guys. ik we're all tacoma guys on here but i dont want an ass chewing for askin a question about another vehicle.
im thinkin about selling my taco unfourtunately. i love the truck but need a full size. im thinking about a chevy duramax or a dodge cummins. anyone have any experience with these trucks? there reason i want a diesel is cuz thhey're better on fuel than the gas jobs. and im not limited to anything i can pull.
does anyone know if the cummins is better on fuel than the duramax.
also other pros and cons would be very appreciated.
thanks guys.
and sorry for bringing up a topic that doesnt have anything to do with toyota's or tacos. but if anyone has some info id appreciate it.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
id say the cummings over the duramax, no reason just because a kid i worked with a while back made his cummings diesel ridiculous!
Old 04-21-2010, 04:36 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I know the early Duramaxes would overheat and the new Cummins engines had emissions control issue. Basically the emissions crap would fail and cause the engine to fail. I'd still take the Cummins over the Duramax but everything that surrounds the Cummins engine sucks. By that I mean Dodge kinds sucks.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:38 PM   #4
98_mud_bug
98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

98_Mud_bug's Tacoma Gallery
get a lil older model cummins deisel. ive worked on too many duramax's
Old 04-21-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
yeah my problem with dodge is the engines are good but the front end and everything else is junk. if i got a cummins itd be the 5.9 straight six if that makes any difference. id get an older dodge but i dont want to down grade from my tacoma lol i want atleast an 03.
my dad has an 03 duramax with hypertech programmer, cai, and exhaust, id love that truck but he wont sell it to me lol.

i guess my main question is which truck overall is the best truck and which gets the best fuel mileage
Old 04-21-2010, 04:50 PM   #7
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
ok so its not about tacomas...so why did you post it in the 2nd gen folder?

as far as the question goes...have you test driven either? does one stick out as more favorable to you?

pd3 likes his duramax but i know a lot of guys who swear by their dodges
Old 04-21-2010, 04:50 PM   #8
I CANT SPELL SO DONT BITCH
mwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mwild's Tacoma Gallery
Definatly a cummins with a 6-speed. I have been trying to make an exuse to get one for years.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:51 PM   #9
If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.
blackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jay
blackwatertaco's Tacoma Gallery
If your gonna choose between a Cummins or a Dmax, Get the cummins hands down. The only weak spot on the cummins is the actual truck. IMHO dodges suck. When I was growing up, We had nothing but diesels. We had 5 Powerstrokes (my favorite BTW) 2 cummins, 1 Dmax (for about a month). The Cummins would tow our backhoe and trencher perfectly. But our 1999 cummins tranny gave out @ 60k miles. The other dodge a 2002 5.9 HO (six speed) was a nice truck, Laramie, But around 30k the dash was cracking, ate brakes like a fat man in a buffet line, And the Transfer case would never work right.

As for the Dmax, It was a 3500 Flat bed 4x4, It got totalled when towing the backhoe. So my dad went back to the Powerstroke.

Ok, I know you didn't post anything about the Powerstroke...IMHO, It's one of the best diesel engines out their...Besides the 6.0 AKA the 6leaker. The 7.3 (which is affordable but a dinosour) was a stout run forever engine. My High school truck was 1995 F250 Powerstroke xl 2wd 5spd...I bought it with 280k miles on it, ANd sold it with 330k miles, The only problem I had was the waterpump. I sold that truck and bought a 6.0 powerstroke. The 6.0 had lots of miles on it 150k when I bought it and 201k when I sold it for the Taco. But anyways, I never once had a problem. If you maintain these engines right they will last you a lifetime.

As for the 6.4 Powerstroke, My dads backhoe operator has one. F350 6.4 4x4. When he tows, It's just blows my mind how well it dose. It's totally stock, Besides the Toyo M/t's

The Dmax, Downfall is the IFS, It's truly a poor design, Why hasn't GM put a solid front axel in it place...IDK, They are stupid. But the Isuzu designed 6.6 Dmax is a great engine.

Becareful of the DPF filters if you get an truck built in the 2007+ years. They will clog up if you do alot of idle and will give you poor fuel economy on the highway. But their is an easy solution to that, DPF delet and a tuner.

If you have any more ??'s about diesels ask.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:52 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anathollo View Post
I'd def choose the cummins. Its more reliable then the Chevy and its quicker. I've rode in a chevy diesel and its slow! Also, its easier to get more HP out of the cummins and I'm pretty sure it gets better mpg stock. The only thing is the cummings interior sucks...but that's dodge for you.
yeah a guy i know has a straight 6 cummins and hes putting out more hp than most guys around here and hes getting around 18 mpg. but hes got an older dodge like a 95 - 98.

are the newer 5.9 cummins any good. for example 03-06
Old 04-21-2010, 04:53 PM   #11
Can you skin Grizz, pilgram?
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
tacomakid96's Tacoma Gallery
Cummins all the way, it has a reputation and is known for quality. The cons I know of are more $$ in maintnence and parts for a diesel are more expensive. I dont know if you are ever going to be in the below zero cold but if so make sure you have a block heater for easy starts.
And I would honestly stick with the older cummins imo
Old 04-21-2010, 04:54 PM   #12
Tillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Former Seargent
Name: Jeff
Tillers_Rule's Tacoma Gallery
I'd go with the Chevy. My brother has a few years old one and that thing is quicker than his Corvette. Has some stuff done to it but I think he still pulls 16-18 mpg.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:55 PM   #13
Banned
kilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to behold
kilgoja's Tacoma Gallery
the new cummins engines are awesome...alot quieter than normal diesels and tons of power
Old 04-21-2010, 04:56 PM   #14
im more leaning towards the dmax just cuz im a chevy guy. is a 05 dmax extended cab with 125,000 mi. worth 19,000? thats the one im lookin at now but that price sounds a little step. is 125,000 mi bad for a diesel. ik its better than on a gas but is it $19,000 better??
Old 04-21-2010, 04:58 PM   #15
You're my boy blue
Blue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Dylan
Blue's Tacoma Gallery
98 cummins 24 valve
Old 04-21-2010, 04:59 PM   #16
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

no 19k is to much, especially if its not a 4 door. 125,000 is nothing for a diesel its still a baby most people in my family have diesels and they all have a crap load of miles. My cousins cummins has 450,000 miles
Old 04-21-2010, 05:02 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomakid96 View Post
no 19k is to much, especially if its not a 4 door. 125,000 is nothing for a diesel its still a baby most people in my family have diesels and they all have a crap load of miles. My cousins cummins has 450,000 miles
its a extended cab but not full four door. but its an lt and full leather interior. and its black which i prefer
Old 04-21-2010, 05:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by red neck toy View Post
its a extended cab but not full four door. but its an lt and full leather interior. and its black which i prefer
Look it up on NADA and KBB and see if its in the range. If you have not looked at it then go check it out and drive it, then go drive the dodge you would want and see which one you like better. The dealership will let you take the truck home for a day just say you wanna see how it fits at your house and hook it up to whatever you want to tow. See if you can do the same with the duramax and whichever one you like better and if you can get it for a decent price get it.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:14 PM   #20
#1 Member
Tacofanatic05' has much to be proud ofTacofanatic05' has much to be proud ofTacofanatic05' has much to be proud ofTacofanatic05' has much to be proud ofTacofanatic05' has much to be proud ofTacofanatic05' has much to be proud ofTacofanatic05' has much to be proud ofTacofanatic05' has much to be proud ofTacofanatic05' has much to be proud ofTacofanatic05' has much to be proud of

Name: Hunter
Tacofanatic05''s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
id say the cummings over the duramax, no reason just because a kid i worked with a while back made his cummings diesel ridiculous!
x2!

My friend has a cummings and it is Insane!!! He stacked chips with a Smarty and his truck is haulin ass! He also straight piped it and it now sounds like a jet taking off! I love it