Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Street Trucks

Notices

05+ 2WD extra cab 5-lug Drop

Old 06-20-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Beefed Taco's Tacoma Gallery
05+ 2WD extra cab 5-lug Drop

This is noelsmykuya's truck. (on CT) I did the fully boxed weld in c- notch, the rear drop blocks with offset pins, and will be doing the front DJM arms tomorrow. He has the 4x4 leafs already in there. Plans are to go with the Sittin Sic drop coils a little later, (and possibly those spacers) as well as some 20" wheels.

This wasn't just a slap n go project, I really spent some time getting the rear of this truck dialed in just right as far as the drive shaft goes and also the 3rd member and the stuff above it that it comes sooo close to at full compression.

I made custom blocks that have the leaf pin set back 3/4" to keep the drive shaft from pushing into the trans too far and putting stress on the rubber carrier bearing. I also flipped the carrier bearing since the angle of both shafts were pretty bad. This things drives like a Caddy on glass, even at 80mph on the freeway.

I'll have finished pics up after tomorrow.

In the sweat cave at stock height

virgin fame

c-notch

boxed (with a few drips I chose to leave for memories)

oops, a little too low

stock tab gets cut and re welded flat for more clearance above the diff

steel blocks with offset pins to keep driveshaft from pushing into trans

Old 06-21-2010, 06:28 AM   #3
bishes love my haircut
Gr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Gr8WhiteTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Gr8WhiteTaco
Sick work Brian!!!! Can't wait to see finished pics!!
Old 06-21-2010, 08:48 AM   #4
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05 X-Runner View Post
Awesome job
Thanks Brett.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8WhiteTaco View Post
Sick work Brian!!!! Can't wait to see finished pics!!
Thanks Aarn, I'll have some pics up when it's done. It'll really look good when he gets his tires and wheels on....a whole new truck.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:50 AM   #5
bishes love my haircut
Gr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Gr8WhiteTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Gr8WhiteTaco
Oh I'd say so! I'm trying to get me a 2wd pre-taco as a DD so might have ya throw me a drop together if I do.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:47 AM   #6
Taco Vending Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8WhiteTaco View Post
Oh I'd say so! I'm trying to get me a 2wd pre-taco as a DD so might have ya throw me a drop together if I do.
Oh that pretaco will grow on you quick...I really liked these a lot when I notched them....all except the power steering I'm used to. haha.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:07 PM   #7
Taco Vending Machine

Alright guys...he's officially low. Nothing leaves the shop unless it's pushing the limits.

Final setup, DJM arms in front and Beefed parts in back in the way of custom welded and boxed c-notch and tapered steel 3-1/4" x 2-7/8" blocks (so they're a true 3" in the center) with offset pins, flipped carrier bearing and 4x4 leafs. Front shocks are stock and rears are QA1. Ridin' ass low until he gets his Sittin' Sic coils, but I like this look in a lowered truck. I almost prefer it.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:29 PM   #9
Htnswches is on a distinguished road

Name: E
Htnswches's Tacoma Gallery
question? why not just air bag it?
Old 06-21-2010, 11:36 PM   #11
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) veteran.
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Grrr. Brian, check your inbox on CT.

Good work though. I remember you relocating the diff tabs as one of the first things you did on mine.

Did his drive shaft dust cover rub at all the first time you dropped it, or were the off-set pin blocks doing their job even at that low ass height?
Old 06-21-2010, 11:54 PM   #12
Taco Vending Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedlesbrmstkbass View Post
that back end is LOW! looking good!
Yep, as low as you can go without crossmember notch and bed ridge trim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htnswches View Post
question? why not just air bag it?
Money I'm sure, plus it's his DD, and I had it for 4 days.

Quote:
bags need more maintenance, more expensive to build and more complex to do it right. STATIC FTW. lol unless u got the money.
pretty much

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjboutin View Post
Grrr. Brian, check your inbox on CT.

Good work though. I remember you relocating the diff tabs as one of the first things you did on mine.

Did his drive shaft dust cover rub at all the first time you dropped it, or were the off-set pin blocks doing their job even at that low ass height?
I made his 3" blocks with the pins moved back because I remembered how yours was, and it worked perfect. Then when I didn't think the 3" blocks were going to workout and I swapped the 2"ers in, I had those made already and the pins were centered. I decided to install them, and yep, the driveshaft was pushed in too far like yours was. It *may* have worked, but at 1/8" gap, it was a risk., plus when they're like that, the rubber in the carrier bearing has too much tension on it and my thoughts were it could wear prematurely. (something you don't have to worry about on your std cab) So I redid the blocks by filling the hole and redrilling it forward 3/4" to push the DS back, it worked great. Then today I put the 3"ers back because I was curious if he could do the 3"ers and wanted to see it lower...thank God it's over! Lotsa work on the rear of this biatch.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:55 PM   #13
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
Old 06-22-2010, 06:59 PM   #14
SHHHH, this is interesting
07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

07TacoRidah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
bags need more maintenance, more expensive to build and more complex to do it right. STATIC FTW. lol unless u got the money.
imo, the rear would be the most if you are going the conventional route. As for me, I may be doing something very expensive (hybrid hydraulic/airbag set up).
Old 06-22-2010, 07:01 PM   #15
07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefed Taco View Post
Alright guys...he's officially low. Nothing leaves the shop unless it's pushing the limits.

Final setup, DJM arms in front and Beefed parts in back in the way of custom welded and boxed c-notch and tapered steel 3-1/4" x 2-7/8" blocks (so they're a true 3" in the center) with offset pins, flipped carrier bearing and 4x4 leafs. Front shocks are stock and rears are QA1. Ridin' ass low until he gets his Sittin' Sic coils, but I like this look in a lowered truck. I almost prefer it.

Damn Beefy, NEVER a disappointment. GREAT job
Old 06-23-2010, 12:18 AM   #16
Taco Vending Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07TacoRidah View Post
Damn Beefy, NEVER a disappointment. GREAT job
Hey thanks! Here's a better pic. It'll look super schweet when he gets his 20's on there, and gets the roll pan & removes that boat anchor of a hitch on back.

Attached Thumbnails
05+ 2WD extra cab 5-lug Drop-nmk1.jpg  
Old 06-23-2010, 12:43 AM   #17
Hoogie boogie!
Stupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
Stupid hurts.'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Stupid hurts.
Quote:
Hey thanks! Here's a better pic. It'll look super schweet when he gets his 20's on there, and gets the roll pan & removes that boat anchor of a hitch on back.

Looking good, love the stance, and great work as always.

Hey, let me know when he plans on getting rid of that hitch. I'd love to take it off his hands.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:03 AM   #18
Taco Vending Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid hurts. View Post
Looking good, love the stance, and great work as always.

Hey, let me know when he plans on getting rid of that hitch. I'd love to take it off his hands.
Yeah he's gonna ditch it. I told him he'd probably have real good luck selling it here on TW. You have first dibbs Steven. We really have to get your sliders on your truck soon too. I think a lot of guys will like what I'm going to do to the kickout/step, since my first style hasn't gotten the attention my newest style has. They've been sitting here next to me for too long and keep looking at me with that stink eye.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:49 AM   #19

Quote:

LMAO I know right? the tow looks like some kind of turd putter coming out.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:02 AM   #20
81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
yuck. but if he likes it....