1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Questions about re-lifting a lowered taco

Discussion in 'Street Trucks' started by jrk, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Feb 15, 2012 at 7:07 PM
    jrk

jrk [OP] Active Member

Member:
    I bought this taco last week:

[​IMG]

The previous owner put eibach springs on the truck and he said it has been lowered 1 inch in the front and 3 inches in the back, using blocks.

I really like the way it drives but I was not really in the market for a street truck. I do not want to do any serious off roading but I want to put a boat in the back and drive on some rough roads to fishing holes.

I am planning on removing the blocks and putting some new wheels with smaller rims & larger tires on. If I raise the back up again will the lowered front have any adverse affects on the truck? If I kept it low, would I still be able to carry heavy loads in the bed?

I am also finding it pretty difficult to get a cheap set of wheels. Part of me thinks that for the money I am going to spend to get the truck back to stock, it might almost be worth selling it on to someone who appreciates street trucks and getting myself an older stock truck. As I said, I love the way it drives, I just don't feel confident taking it on anything but tarmac which was the primary reason I was getting a truck.

2. Feb 15, 2012 at 10:08 PM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    your honestly sitting at a pretty mild drop. the only thing holding you back from hauling alot are those 3" blocks. replace that with a 4x4 leaf pack and you'll loose a little drop but have the same or more capacity than stock. (just noticed you have an older 1st gen, so the effectiveness of this will be less)

if you revert back to your old leafs, the truck will sit VERY ass high and nose low. it looks pretty stupid/redneck honestly if there's that much of a difference.

better shocks all around will help as well with your load carrying abilities. some of the 1st gen guys might also have some better solutions for you.

3. Feb 16, 2012 at 8:49 AM
    jrk

jrk [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Thanks for the response...so are you saying he would have added new leafs with the lowering blocks? I was under the impression that he had the original leafs in place but had just used the blocks to lower it. I have next to no idea about any of this stuff though so forgive me if I sound like I have no clue (I don't).

I really didn't want to get into too much heavy modding on the truck which is why I thought just removing the blocks would bring it roughly back to stock, just with the 1 inch lower at the frot but I definitely don't want it to look janky and affect performance.

If I'm going to have to get a new leaf pack, I would consider wither selling it on and buying something more suited to my means or going whole hog and lifting the truck a few inches above stock.

4. Feb 16, 2012 at 9:01 AM
    jrider636

jrider636 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    justin
    tally,fl
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma prerunner
    you could take the blocks out and get some new springs for the front to get u back to stock specs....if u dont have the original springs. i had a lowered ranger and i pulled a 18ft bass boat. you'll be fine with throwing a dingy in the back unless u just want the truck higher.

5. Feb 16, 2012 at 1:03 PM
    jrk

jrk [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Unfortunately I don't have the original springs...I was hoping to leave the front 1 inch lower than stock and just remove the blocks to raise the back up so it doesn't look so low. I had a look at what goes in to changing the springs out and it looks like a pretty advanced process so I'll have to have a think.

1 inch lower in the front didn't seem like it would make much difference to me but if so I might keep it as it is...probably wouldn't look great lowered with stock wheels on though!

Products Discussed in

To Top