Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Strut Bar Removal ... front end damage posing a problem

Old 07-02-2010, 07:24 PM   #1
seligman will become famous soon enoughseligman will become famous soon enough
seligman's Tacoma Gallery
Strut Bar Removal ... front end damage posing a problem

I need to remove a strut bar on my 96 2WD Tacoma. As you'll see in the photo, I have a problem removing it.

Front end damage bent the front side of the bracket which holds the bushing.

Any suggestions on bending the front side frontward again would be most appreciated.

Here's why I need to remove the strut bar. The bracket on the opposite end is broken. Another possibility here is to separate the bolt from the bracket and strut bar (underneath the bracket). The bolts are pressed into the bracket and as you can see, the left one already came loose.

In case you're wondering, I'm planning to weld the broken piece to the bracket again. All I need is for the bracket to separate from the strut bar.

Attached Thumbnails
Strut Bar Removal ... front end damage posing a problem-strutbar_stuck.jpg   Strut Bar Removal ... front end damage posing a problem-strutbar_broken.jpg  
Old 07-02-2010, 10:15 PM   #2
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Big pry-bar?
Old 07-03-2010, 12:24 AM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdeserted View Post
Big pry-bar?
Tried that, no success. Also tried hitting it with a small sledge hammer. In both cases I'm not sure if we did it from the proper angle. I thought about putting a metal wedge on a floor jack, just inside the bent bracket, then lifting the jack with the wheels on the ground. The wedge would have to be milled and positioned properly.

Hopefully somebody else has a better idea. Oh yeah, in case anybody asks, I don't have a torch hot enough to bend that kind of steel.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:37 PM   #6
Thought about the chain and tree possibility. I'm afraid that will bend it outward too much.

Needs to be bent in a controlled fashion, because the bracket can't be destroyed and I want to re-use the strut bar after fixing the other end.