1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

camper suspension?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by silvercedar, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Jul 3, 2010 at 11:19 AM
    silvercedar

silvercedar [OP] New Member

Member:
    What is a good way to beef up the suspension to support a camper on a 4x4 Tacoma? Do I need to also consider the front suspension? I haven't actually purchased the truck yet. I want to purchaseTacoma 4x4, V6, 2005 or later. Is air lift a good way to go? Or extra leaf springs?
    Thanks! Stephen

2. Jul 3, 2010 at 11:23 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    We need to know the type/weight of the camper before really going any further.

You can beef up springs and support all you want but the truck is still only rated to a certain weight. Above that you'll have issues with axle seals, oil degradation, etc etc. After the weight you'll need to tow it as a trailer instead of bed mounting it (which is the impression I got)

3. Jul 3, 2010 at 2:12 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    Airlift would be good. You might want to also look into a whole new leafpack depending on weigh/usage of the camper. There are also "helper springs" but I'm not sure about Tacoma applications.

For the front: it depends on how heavy the camper is. Normally I'd say you can skip upgrading the front as long as the rear adequately suports the weight.

4. Jul 4, 2010 at 12:01 PM
    silvercedar

Member:
    I'm not sure of the weight of this camper? A friend has it in another part of the state and will give it to me if and when I get the truck. It is built for smaller trucks with a six foot bed. The pictures show it to look like a standard metal shell camper. I have heard that they are pretty heavy and will demand some real suspension additions. I want to put it in the bed, not tow it. I have seen a few Toyota small pickups with campers. Sounds like it will be very hard on the truck as you say axle seals, and other problems may occur. I will only use it when my wife accompanies me on trips. Once or twice a year for a few weeks. Otherwise I'll Just put a canopy on it. Others have told me that you shouldn't put a camper on such a small truck as a Tacoma.?

5. Jul 4, 2010 at 10:24 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    I've seen plenty of Tacos with big 'ol campers on them driving around... what they've done to the suspension I don't know, but they looked fine to me.

Anything is possible. Beefing up rear suspension is easy. You'll want to check the details: change to load E tires probably, possible brake upgrades, etc. Trip planning: big water tank? cna you fill it at the destination, etc. Packing: Leave the piano at home etc.

This is all just a maybe. I think you could just do one upgrade to the springs in the rear and be good.

If you're set on a camper, real concerned with weight, and have a briefcase full of cash, thay make som real nice light-weight pop up campers that are super nice.:: http://www.fourwheelcampers.com/ranger2.html

6. Jul 6, 2010 at 11:06 AM
    silvercedar

Member:
    Thanks for the replies.
    Those super light fold up campers are sure nice. But like you say ya need a briefcase full of cash. 10K to start with. That weighs 600 pounds. I' wondering how much the free one I can get will weigh. Probably 8 or 9 hundred puunds I'd imagine. I decided I definately want a Tacoma though and not a Tundra or larger truck. I'll just get airbags installed and go from there. Tacoma looks like the perfect size truck to me. I'll just have to make it work somehow. Any more tips would be, of course, very appreciated. Thanks, Stephen

7. Jul 6, 2010 at 11:11 AM
    borderbrat

borderbrat Watching Chris4x4 o.O

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Victoria BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB, STOCK..But not for long
    (old truck 2008 AC ....PIAA fogs, led "puddle" lights, bed lights, in cab 115V, Toyota Devil emblem, Randy Ellis light bar with LED light bar, OME 885 and Dakar leaf springs OME shock all round, 2.5 Gal OBA system with air horns, iPod adapter, scangauge on blend mount, magnaflow catback, bike fork mounts, tinted 2009 tails.)
    Definitely upgrade the P rated tires to a LT tire D would be more than enough. As for suspension you're in the states, so get the spring TSB you might be able to work that out before you even take delivery. If you are not looking for lift just better load handling not necessarily higher payload invest in a set of airbags. Firestone is one good name I know of for airbags. Low/no pressure for everyday driving pump them up for when the camper is in the bed.

8. Jul 7, 2010 at 10:14 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    What kind of camper are you thinking about getting?
    Have you checked out Flippac?

9. Jul 11, 2010 at 10:18 PM
    silvercedar

Member:
    Not very many campers around to even look at. They are super expensive for the tinny, cheesy, pressboard things they are. $8,800 for a used one. will keep looking.

10. Jul 11, 2010 at 10:58 PM
    Timber

Timber Crankey Old Yacht Jockey

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    San Pedro Bay Ports
    just a couple comfort items.
    One of the lifeguards that parks at work here has a pretty good sized pop up type of camper. The company he bought it from rebuilt the stock leafs. Looks like they swapped out one of the two leafs with a real heavy one and added an extra leaf on top of the overload as well. Next time I see the truck I will try to take some pics.

11. Jul 11, 2010 at 11:50 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    www.flippac.com

I am gonna order one soon. They are local to you and I in riverside. Priced with cabside dropdown window, windoors (ARE) on both sides, rainfly, non-color matched exterior (white) it will be just over 5k. These things are very cool for camping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dlRq7B1ayQ

12. Oct 9, 2012 at 5:24 PM
    eformo

eformo New Member

Member:
    kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 4cyl 4x4
    rear air bags, camper tie downs

Products Discussed in

To Top