Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

camper suspension?

Old 07-03-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
silvercedar is on a distinguished road
silvercedar's Tacoma Gallery
camper suspension?

What is a good way to beef up the suspension to support a camper on a 4x4 Tacoma? Do I need to also consider the front suspension? I haven't actually purchased the truck yet. I want to purchaseTacoma 4x4, V6, 2005 or later. Is air lift a good way to go? Or extra leaf springs?
Thanks! Stephen
Old 07-03-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
We need to know the type/weight of the camper before really going any further.

You can beef up springs and support all you want but the truck is still only rated to a certain weight. Above that you'll have issues with axle seals, oil degradation, etc etc. After the weight you'll need to tow it as a trailer instead of bed mounting it (which is the impression I got)
Old 07-03-2010, 02:12 PM   #3
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercedar View Post
What is a good way to beef up the suspension to support a camper on a 4x4 Tacoma? Do I need to also consider the front suspension? I haven't actually purchased the truck yet. I want to purchaseTacoma 4x4, V6, 2005 or later. Is air lift a good way to go? Or extra leaf springs?
Thanks! Stephen
Airlift would be good. You might want to also look into a whole new leafpack depending on weigh/usage of the camper. There are also "helper springs" but I'm not sure about Tacoma applications.

For the front: it depends on how heavy the camper is. Normally I'd say you can skip upgrading the front as long as the rear adequately suports the weight.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:01 PM   #4
I'm not sure of the weight of this camper? A friend has it in another part of the state and will give it to me if and when I get the truck. It is built for smaller trucks with a six foot bed. The pictures show it to look like a standard metal shell camper. I have heard that they are pretty heavy and will demand some real suspension additions. I want to put it in the bed, not tow it. I have seen a few Toyota small pickups with campers. Sounds like it will be very hard on the truck as you say axle seals, and other problems may occur. I will only use it when my wife accompanies me on trips. Once or twice a year for a few weeks. Otherwise I'll Just put a canopy on it. Others have told me that you shouldn't put a camper on such a small truck as a Tacoma.?
Old 07-04-2010, 10:24 PM   #5
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercedar View Post
I'm not sure of the weight of this camper? A friend has it in another part of the state and will give it to me if and when I get the truck. It is built for smaller trucks with a six foot bed. The pictures show it to look like a standard metal shell camper. I have heard that they are pretty heavy and will demand some real suspension additions. I want to put it in the bed, not tow it. I have seen a few Toyota small pickups with campers. Sounds like it will be very hard on the truck as you say axle seals, and other problems may occur. I will only use it when my wife accompanies me on trips. Once or twice a year for a few weeks. Otherwise I'll Just put a canopy on it. Others have told me that you shouldn't put a camper on such a small truck as a Tacoma.?
I've seen plenty of Tacos with big 'ol campers on them driving around... what they've done to the suspension I don't know, but they looked fine to me.

Anything is possible. Beefing up rear suspension is easy. You'll want to check the details: change to load E tires probably, possible brake upgrades, etc. Trip planning: big water tank? cna you fill it at the destination, etc. Packing: Leave the piano at home etc.

This is all just a maybe. I think you could just do one upgrade to the springs in the rear and be good.

If you're set on a camper, real concerned with weight, and have a briefcase full of cash, thay make som real nice light-weight pop up campers that are super nice.:: http://www.fourwheelcampers.com/ranger2.html
Old 07-06-2010, 11:06 AM   #6
Thanks for the replies.
Those super light fold up campers are sure nice. But like you say ya need a briefcase full of cash. 10K to start with. That weighs 600 pounds. I' wondering how much the free one I can get will weigh. Probably 8 or 9 hundred puunds I'd imagine. I decided I definately want a Tacoma though and not a Tundra or larger truck. I'll just get airbags installed and go from there. Tacoma looks like the perfect size truck to me. I'll just have to make it work somehow. Any more tips would be, of course, very appreciated. Thanks, Stephen
Old 07-06-2010, 11:11 AM   #7
Watching Chris4x4 o.O
borderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Navy: Leading seaman, Electrical Technician, CFFS(E), Pacific Fleet
Name: Jeremy
borderbrat's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely upgrade the P rated tires to a LT tire D would be more than enough. As for suspension you're in the states, so get the spring TSB you might be able to work that out before you even take delivery. If you are not looking for lift just better load handling not necessarily higher payload invest in a set of airbags. Firestone is one good name I know of for airbags. Low/no pressure for everyday driving pump them up for when the camper is in the bed.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:14 PM   #8
4th MAW
ETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: MASS 6 El Toro
ETAV8R's Tacoma Gallery
What kind of camper are you thinking about getting?
Have you checked out Flippac?
Old 07-11-2010, 10:18 PM   #9
campers on Tacomas

Not very many campers around to even look at. They are super expensive for the tinny, cheesy, pressboard things they are. $8,800 for a used one. will keep looking.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:58 PM   #10
Crankey Old Yacht Jockey
Timber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant future

Name: Tim
Timber's Tacoma Gallery
One of the lifeguards that parks at work here has a pretty good sized pop up type of camper. The company he bought it from rebuilt the stock leafs. Looks like they swapped out one of the two leafs with a real heavy one and added an extra leaf on top of the overload as well. Next time I see the truck I will try to take some pics.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:50 PM   #11
4th MAW
ETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: MASS 6 El Toro
ETAV8R's Tacoma Gallery
www.flippac.com

I am gonna order one soon. They are local to you and I in riverside. Priced with cabside dropdown window, windoors (ARE) on both sides, rainfly, non-color matched exterior (white) it will be just over 5k. These things are very cool for camping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dlRq7B1ayQ
Old 10-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #12
eformo is on a distinguished road
eformo's Tacoma Gallery
I recommend a few simple/cheap upgrades.