1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Installed NWOR HD Leafs

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by LoudDog, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Jul 6, 2010 at 9:23 AM
    LoudDog

LoudDog [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab
    K&N CAI, NWOR HD Rear Leaf Springs
    On my 2005 Tacoma the rear leafs were shot. They were sitting on the overload leaf when the truck was empty and bottomed out frequently. I did not get the TSB under warranty.

After looking around at my options I liked NWOR's springs the best. I got the springs that are supposed to add about 3/4" lift and 700 lbs of load capacity. With new U-bolts, shipping and sales tax it was just under $700. The people I talked to there were helpful and knowledgable.

With an extra pair of hands install was easy and took 2-3 hours. The U-bolts were a little wider, but they didn't take much effort to muscle in. All and all, everything fit up nicely. I could have re-used the old U-bolts but there would be little to no thread protusion. When first installed they added 5" of lift! After jumping on the tailgate a bit and some driving it leveled off to about 3" of lift. My old springs were shot so I'm guessing I was 1-2" below stock to start, so 3" is about as advertised. The rake looks fine.

I've only put about 50 miles on them so far, but the ride is great. Slightly softer then the stock front (some bumps I only feel once) with about 100 pounds in the back and a cap. True test will come this weekend when I hook up the trailer.

The springs have a grease fitting but I'm runing them dry right now as I don't have the right fitting. I'll take care of that tonight.

All and all i am very pleased. A very good option if your springs are shot and the TSB is not an option. (note: Toyota quoted me $1800 to put in the TSB springs and a local shop wanted $600 to re-arch and add a leaf)

Also, once the old springs were off it was very easy to see how bad they were. The first and second spring were seperated. The overload leaf (the thick straight one on the bottom) had negative arch of almost and inch. I wonder how close they were to breaking!

2. Jul 6, 2010 at 10:40 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nice, do you have a link to where you bought them from, for those who are interested?

3. Jul 6, 2010 at 10:46 AM
    LoudDog

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
  4. Jul 6, 2010 at 1:46 PM
    BigRedToy

BigRedToy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab SR5 4x4
    Did you compare these to Deavers or Alcans?

5. Jul 6, 2010 at 2:15 PM
    badguybuster

badguybuster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
    New truck....so nothing yet
  6. Jul 6, 2010 at 2:17 PM
    LoudDog

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    Not extensively. I talked with someone from Alcan and they would custom make springs to what i wanted for about the same price, but delivery would have been 2-4 weeks compared to 2 days with NWOR. And, the NWOR was pretty much exactly what i wanted, 700 more pounds of capacity and only 3/4" of lift. And NWOR is a 2 hour drive from here so if I had problems...

7. Jul 6, 2010 at 2:23 PM
    LoudDog

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    I wish I would have thought to snap a photo of the worn out spring along side the new ones to show the difference... Pretty significant. The whole pack is 1/2 - 3/4" thicker. It has three leafs compared to two and a thicker over load leaf.

8. Nov 15, 2012 at 2:30 AM
    Tmill

Tmill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Florida Panhandle
    Vehicle:
    07 Sport Black DCLB
    LoudDog just wondering if you could update us with the long term results of these leaf springs??

Products Discussed in

To Top