Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Need Help Fast! Wheeler's 3-Leaf AAL

Old 07-06-2010, 08:18 PM   #1
eltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud of
Army:
eltaco's Tacoma Gallery
Need Help Fast! Wheeler's 3-Leaf AAL

I'm actually installing the 3-Leaf AAL from Wheeler's right now, and Houston, we have a problem.

Has anyone installed this kit on a set of TSB leaf springs? The Wheeler's 3-Leaf kit contacts the "C" that holds the stock kit together, and I can't imagine that it's designed to do this. I've also noticed that the center bolt is extremely long for this application... perhaps the non-TSB springs are thicker?

Let me know ASAP... I think I may have to wrap it up and put the truck together without the 3-Leaf kit unless anyone has used these on a TSB pack.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:13 PM   #3
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
One of these days i'll get that thing removed.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:07 AM   #4
eltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud of
Army:
eltaco's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, that's exactly what I mean... that can't be right, is it?
Old 07-07-2010, 07:58 AM   #6
Army:
eltaco's Tacoma Gallery
So the 3-Leaf progressive kit is SUPPOSED to ride on the rivet from the factory leaf kit?!

Seems incorrect to me, but I'll hook it up and call it a day I guess...

Do you guys notice any squeaking from this setup?
Old 07-07-2010, 08:10 AM   #7
THE RED DRAGON!!
TexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
TexasIslandBoy's Tacoma Gallery
im pretty sure that the 3leaf aal isnt made for the tsb leaf pack you dont want to run it on that spring clip for long im sure that will ware out that spring pad quick
Old 07-07-2010, 08:38 AM   #8
Army:
eltaco's Tacoma Gallery
You guys who are running this on a TSB pack... how long have you had it on? Notice any issues? Squeaking? Wearing the leaf pad?

It doesn't look right, but if it's functional I may still hook it up and give it a try...
Old 07-07-2010, 08:46 AM   #9
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
If you have a grinder, You can cut the clamp off. Also, The center pin is always much longer than the OEM pin. You have to cut it to size. Do this AFTER its installed, and before you put the bump stops on.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:48 AM   #10
Army:
eltaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
If you have a grinder, You can cut the clamp off. Also, The center pin is always much longer than the OEM pin. You have to cut it to size. Do this AFTER its installed, and before you put the bump stops on.
Thanks, this seems most reasonable. I can't see why I would need two spring keepers on that location. I don't have a grinder right now, but I love having a reason to purchase new tooling!

Without the rivet in the way, this kit should function just as intended... or at least it looks like it would be fine. I'll probably give this a shot tonight and let you all know how it goes.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:18 AM   #11
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Yes, use a grinder and grind the rivet down smooth, then use a set of channel locks, or a pipe wrench and you can pop the whole stock C clamp off. The long Center pin is to help make assembly easier. Then after you have it tightened down, simple cut off the extra.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:26 PM   #12
Army:
eltaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaDan View Post
Yes, use a grinder and grind the rivet down smooth, then use a set of channel locks, or a pipe wrench and you can pop the whole stock C clamp off. The long Center pin is to help make assembly easier. Then after you have it tightened down, simple cut off the extra.
Thanks Dan,

Did just as you said... and installation was a cinch. Thanks for all of the help. This setup is straight-up amazing. I'm WAY stoked with the results!