Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

just enough to fit 285's

Old 07-08-2010, 12:03 AM   #1
tacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacosupreme54's Tacoma Gallery
just enough to fit 285's

i'm early in the process of personalizing my truck and will take any advice offered. i have an 06 TRD Off Road double cab and am trying to figure out what i need to do to fit 285/75/16's. i don't plan on doing any off-roading or anything like that, so i don't need a huge or excess amount of room in the fender wells. i just want a tougher look with the 285's without much/any rubbing when fully locked. i already have a leveling spacer in the front and know that i will probably need an AAL or block in the back. i have read many threads about this and i am not completely sure about what to do because some people on here say you can run a 285/75/16 with the setup i have, even my tire and wheel guy said i probably could once i add something in the back. however, i have still heard a few people, just a few, that have said that you can't. they say you need to add wheel spacers. i'm new to this, so i don't know

if you have this setup and/or know from personal experience, just let me know the minimum i NEED to clear 285/75/16 or what you used to clear them. also, could anybody let me know whether i should go with the AAL or blocks (again, i'm not off-roading) and whether i can use my stock TRD Off Road wheels with these 285's???
Old 07-08-2010, 12:10 AM   #2
ChompsterTacoma is a glorious beacon of lightChompsterTacoma is a glorious beacon of lightChompsterTacoma is a glorious beacon of lightChompsterTacoma is a glorious beacon of lightChompsterTacoma is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Chompster
ChompsterTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
My neighbor has 285 on a two and half inch spacer up front and one and a half in the back with blocks. Only trimmed alittle on the inner liner where the mud flaps would be attached. No spacers on stock wheels.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:13 AM   #3
MASTER CHIEF
STR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Collin
STR8_BEAST's Tacoma Gallery
uh no if you run 285s on stock rims youre going to need wheel spacers. otherwise the tires will rub on your UCA because of the backspacing and offset of the stock rim
Old 07-08-2010, 12:17 AM   #4
tacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompsterTacoma View Post
My neighbor has 285 on a two and half inch spacer up front and one and a half in the back with blocks. Only trimmed alittle on the inner liner where the mud flaps would be attached. No spacers on stock wheels.
and he has no rubbing at all now?
Old 07-08-2010, 12:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8_BEAST View Post
uh no if you run 285s on stock rims youre going to need wheel spacers. otherwise the tires will rub on your UCA because of the backspacing and offset of the stock rim
oh, ok. but you can run a 285/75/16 on a stock TRD OR rim as long as you have the wheel spacer??
Old 07-08-2010, 12:23 AM   #6
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosupreme54 View Post
oh, ok. but you can run a 285/75/16 on a stock TRD OR rim as long as you have the wheel spacer??

That's right. I have a 2.5inch leveling kit on the front only. I run 285/75/17's on stock rims with a 1/4 wheel spacer. It still rubs a little at full lock, mostly when backing up. I removed my mudflaps too, helps a little more.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonTacoma View Post
That's right. I have a 2.5inch leveling kit on the front only. I run 285/75/17's on stock rims with a 1/4 wheel spacer. It still rubs a little at full lock, mostly when backing up. I removed my mudflaps too, helps a little more.
ok, so you have basically the same setup i do right now. i just need to look into getting wheel spacers when i get a bigger tire if i plan on using the same wheels. and you run a 285/75/17, that's essentially a 34, right? and it worked on a 2.5in leveling kit with nothing in the back?
Old 07-08-2010, 12:35 AM   #8
MASTER CHIEF
STR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Collin
STR8_BEAST's Tacoma Gallery
he means a 285/70/17, thats the same size as 285/75/16, a 33' tire
Old 07-08-2010, 12:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8_BEAST View Post
he means a 285/70/17, thats the same size as 285/75/16, a 33' tire
that's what i was thinking, because i don't know of anyone that makes a 34" tire. i just put 285/75/17 into the tire calculator and it came up to 34". i would like to have a 34" tire if somebody made it though.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:24 AM   #10
sanga700 will become famous soon enoughsanga700 will become famous soon enough
sanga700's Tacoma Gallery
Im new on this site too and still learnning .Can I ask where can I get the wheel spacers . Im currently run TRD sport wheels with 275/70/17 without wheel spacers no porblem at all , but Im thinking to get 285/70/17 off road tires but I don't know to get those spacers at please tell me . Thanks
Old 07-08-2010, 08:12 AM   #11
subhunter is on a distinguished road
Navy: Patrol squadron
subhunter's Tacoma Gallery
Get them from Spidertrax. I just ordered a set for the front and rear of my truck. They have one of the best reputations, however they are not the cheapest. I put a lift and level kit on and slapped a set of 285/70/17's on my factor rims, they rub on the upper arm, but the 1.25" spacers will kick them out about 2.5". it will stop the rubbing,I may need to trim some fender, and it will give the truck a more stable and aggressive stance.