Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Shocks - Is there a set that will give you any lift?

Old 07-08-2010, 06:39 PM   #1
AJYota is on a distinguished road
Name: AJ
AJYota's Tacoma Gallery
Shocks - Is there a set that will give you any lift?

My son has a 2007 Tacoma 4x4 with a 3 inch suspension life. He needs new shocks and we were wondering if there is a set that will give you any additional lift?

What is a good set of shocks for a 4x4 that will add look, perfromance without breaking dad's wallet?
Old 07-08-2010, 07:51 PM   #2
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
shocks in it of themselves do not give lift, they are simply dampers. springs give lift.

the silver bilstein 5100s are a great set of shocks that will give up to 2.5" lift (adjustable coil seat) up front. you can pick up a set of 4 shocks for ~$300 from sonny at downsouthmotorsports.com. hes a great guy to deal w/. mention TW and you'll get a little hookup.

also, dad's wallet?! make the kid pay for them himself...he's old enough to drive!!
Old 07-08-2010, 08:05 PM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
IF you want more than 3" of lift - you can't (shouldn't) do it with the suspension orientation that you currently have.

You need to do some research and find the 4" or 6" lifts that are available for the tacomas.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:06 PM   #4
1st gen > 2nd gen
Rucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosh2000 View Post
also, dad's wallet?! make the kid pay for them himself...he's old enough to drive!!
X2
Old 07-08-2010, 08:07 PM   #5
function > form
747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

747's Tacoma Gallery
^x3. Otherwise, billies.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:22 PM   #6
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosh2000 View Post
shocks in it of themselves do not give lift, they are simply dampers. springs give lift.

the silver bilstein 5100s are a great set of shocks that will give up to 2.5" lift (adjustable coil seat) up front. you can pick up a set of 4 shocks for ~$300 from sonny at downsouthmotorsports.com. hes a great guy to deal w/. mention TW and you'll get a little hookup.

Not true re shocks....I have, on two vehicles replaced stock shocks with high-pressure gas shocks and gotten noticeable lift. I didn't measure before/after because I wasn't expecting it.
I'd guess about 3/4".
The shocks, btw, were Edelbrocks, one set on a Jeep Gr Cherokee, the other on a 2002 Durango.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:14 PM   #7
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
you can't go any higher than 3" susp lift with out putting on a drop bracket. you cv angles and ball joints will be maxed out w/ anything over 3" and failure of said parts will be the result.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:36 PM   #8
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingman View Post
Not true re shocks....I have, on two vehicles replaced stock shocks with high-pressure gas shocks and gotten noticeable lift. I didn't measure before/after because I wasn't expecting it.
I'd guess about 3/4".
The shocks, btw, were Edelbrocks, one set on a Jeep Gr Cherokee, the other on a 2002 Durango.
whatever you say dude...i know that i could compress my bils by hand... there is no way they would ever give the taco lift...

why do you think you always have some sort of spring (coil, leaf, torsion rods) on a vehicle and then the shock?!