Originally Posted by gobias
So after saving my sheckles for the past couple months I'm about to go ahead and buy the OME kit but I have just a couple questions first.
I'm looking at getting 881's on OME struts, rear OME shocks, no diff drop, and 2" Toytec
1. How much of a lift am I looking at getting with the 881's
2. I've read that a diff drop is not needed if it's less than a 3" lift. T or F?
3. Will my stock U bolts handle the AAL fine? My truck is from Cali and the U bolts look good as new right now. No rust. Just worried about the length.
Any other tips?
1. Not sure exactly, but I think the OME setup is a 2"er? I would definitely steer away from a heavier than recommended spring unless you're running a winch.
2. The diff drop seems to be more of a 'mental upgrade', if you think you need it, you'll feel better if you put one on; there are good arguements for it and without it. I chose to skip it, no regrets. With on: slightly better CV angles but also 1" less clearance there.
3. Your stock U-bolts should be long enough, you will only be adding 3/8" of thickness to your leafpack with the AAL. It is recommended that you use new U-bolts for the AAL but I've reused U-bolts many times in the past, no prob; just be careful of the threads when geting them out and in. (check out the AllPro
U-bolt flip kit. I just put one on and really like the added clearance and the smoother look underneath, about $50, requires a bit of mod to keep the stock bumpstops, easy if you have a cut wheel and a drill)
Also, depending on the look you like, lifting the rear about 1" less than the front will make the truck level: ie 2" front and 1" back will sit about level. 2" front and 2" back makes it about 1" ass-high.