Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Rear Bilstein 5100 question

Old 07-13-2010, 06:18 PM   #1
All Beef Taco is a name known to allAll Beef Taco is a name known to allAll Beef Taco is a name known to allAll Beef Taco is a name known to allAll Beef Taco is a name known to allAll Beef Taco is a name known to all

Name: Joe
All Beef Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Rear Bilstein 5100 question

I just got my rear 5100's after a long wait for my backorder to come through. There is a set of hardware included with each shock and I'm not sure about how to properly arrange it. Specifically, there are a 2 rubber bushings and 2 steel washers along with 2 rubber washers and a nut-- do I have to use all of them and in what order? The nut is obvious but I wasn't sure if all the other hardware is needed or what. I didn't see this part covered in any of the installation threads. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-13-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
you put washer and a rubber bottom and a rubber then a washer on top
hope thats helps
Old 07-13-2010, 07:04 PM   #3
All Beef Taco is a name known to allAll Beef Taco is a name known to allAll Beef Taco is a name known to allAll Beef Taco is a name known to allAll Beef Taco is a name known to allAll Beef Taco is a name known to all

looking more closely it's actually 3 metal washers-- 2 stainless and one plain steel which I thought was a rubber washer.... not sure where that plain steel one should go.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:25 AM   #4
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Beef Taco View Post
looking more closely it's actually 3 metal washers-- 2 stainless and one plain steel which I thought was a rubber washer.... not sure where that plain steel one should go.
From the bottom of the stem. Large Washer, Bushings, Small washer with lip up, That goes through frame mount. Then on other side Bushing, Large washer, Nut.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:27 AM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
dont want to thread jack but dont want to start a new thread either.

my question is does anyone know off hand what the diameter of the front 5100's is? also does anyone off hand know the travel on them and the extended and stuffed lengths are? thanks in advance

i think the travel is 8" but just wanting to make sure
They are 2" in diameter, and have a 3.8" stroke. Not sure on the overall length.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:53 AM   #6
Rusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rusty White Taco's Tacoma Gallery
The big question (for me) is, where did you get the 5100's? I've been searching and calling almost daily and nobody seems to have them for 1st gen or 2nd gen Tacos...
Old 07-14-2010, 10:55 AM   #7
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
downsouthmotorsports.com
wheelersoffroad.com
toyteclifts.com
Old 07-14-2010, 11:57 AM   #8

I got mine from shockwarehouse.com, but it was about a 2 month wait for the backorder.

Dan, thanks for the help! One more question... the two thick washers-- one is black, the other is stainless. Does it matter which goes where?
Old 07-14-2010, 12:03 PM   #9
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Quote:
I got mine from shockwarehouse.com, but it was about a 2 month wait for the backorder.

Dan, thanks for the help! One more question... the two thick washers-- one is black, the other is stainless. Does it matter which goes where?
That's how long mine took from them too
Old 07-14-2010, 12:41 PM   #10

Found a customer service number on the installation kit bag so I gave them a call and a nice fellow over in their tech department was able to describe them and tell me the proper order. So to any others out there, for future reference/if anyone else ever wonders:

From bottom up:

1) Stainless thick washer (has a small inset indentation along the radius of the hole) goes on first, against the shock boot.
2) Bushing
3) Thin stainless washer (has a small lip along the radius of the hole) goes on the underside of the frame
4) Bushing
5) Black steel washer
6) Nut
Old 07-14-2010, 01:24 PM   #11

Here are some pics... as you can see, there are three unique washers. A thick stainless one with a groove along the radius of the hole, a thin stainless one with a lip, and a black washer.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:29 PM   #12
Devildoc is a splendid one to beholdDevildoc is a splendid one to beholdDevildoc is a splendid one to beholdDevildoc is a splendid one to beholdDevildoc is a splendid one to beholdDevildoc is a splendid one to beholdDevildoc is a splendid one to behold
Navy: 2/4 5th REG, 1st Mar Div
Devildoc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Here are some pics... as you can see, there are three unique washers. A thick stainless one with a groove along the radius of the hole, a thin stainless one with a lip, and a black washer.

What a good info to know! I just had my rear spring tsb done and I am going to install the rear 5100 next. Was wondering the same thing. Thanks for the info. Do we need to get it align after after the install? May be there is no need.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:57 PM   #13

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
What a good info to know! I just had my rear spring tsb done and I am going to install the rear 5100 next. Was wondering the same thing. Thanks for the info. Do we need to get it align after after the install? May be there is no need.
No, not if you are just doing the rears.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:02 PM   #14
Devildoc is a splendid one to beholdDevildoc is a splendid one to beholdDevildoc is a splendid one to beholdDevildoc is a splendid one to beholdDevildoc is a splendid one to beholdDevildoc is a splendid one to beholdDevildoc is a splendid one to behold
Navy: 2/4 5th REG, 1st Mar Div
Devildoc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
No, not if you are just doing the rears.
thought so, thanks!