Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Cant get drum off

Old 07-14-2010, 12:51 PM   #1
RoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
Cant get drum off

Wanna check the rear brakes, but neither drum will come off. Should just be able to take the wheel off and tap the drum off, right? Brakes are not on.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:56 PM   #2
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Usually you have to hit the drum with a hammer a few times to loosen everything up.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:59 PM   #3
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
get a bigger hammer
Old 07-14-2010, 01:03 PM   #4
larryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Vet: C-17 Avionics Engineer; Electrical Research Engineer
Name: Larry
larryde09's Tacoma Gallery
1. Make sure your parking brake (emergency brake) isn't on.

2. Try hitting it with a rubber mallet.

3. There is a thumb wheel on the backside of the cover (sorry, I don't have a pic) that will mechanically back the shoe off the drum. These automatically tighten over time as the drum and shoe wears down. Therefore, a small rim forms on the outside of the drum that prevents it from simply sliding off. If you find the thumb wheel on the backside of the drum, turning it should open it and allow the drum to come off. Once you've completed your brake service, you'll need to use the brakes while driving in reverse to get the automatically adjusting brakes to tighten back up against the drum.

Note: you may need to use a screwdriver, it's probably stuck/rusted/carroded, etc.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:08 PM   #5
Join the NRA! Protect your freedom!
NraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JT
NraFan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryde09 View Post
1. Make sure your parking brake (emergency brake) isn't on.

2. Try hitting it with a rubber mallet.

3. There is a thumb wheel on the backside of the cover (sorry, I don't have a pic) that will mechanically back the shoe off the drum. These automatically tighten over time as the drum and shoe wears down. Therefore, a small rim forms on the outside of the drum that prevents it from simply sliding off. If you find the thumb wheel on the backside of the drum, turning it should open it and allow the drum to come off. Once you've completed your brake service, you'll need to use the brakes while driving in reverse to get the automatically adjusting brakes to tighten back up against the drum.

Note: you may need to use a screwdriver, it's probably stuck/rusted/carroded, etc.
Good info. This is why I love this site so much!
Old 07-14-2010, 01:10 PM   #6
Tojo is on a distinguished road

Tojo's Tacoma Gallery
might try spraying a little liquid wrench where the rear axle flange and the brake drum mate. let it sit a few mins and while hitting drum with a big swatter, use your other hand to pull on the rear edge of the drum to remove it??
Old 07-14-2010, 01:15 PM   #7
larryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tojo View Post
might try spraying a little liquid wrench where the rear axle flange and the brake drum mate. let it sit a few mins and while hitting drum with a big swatter, use your other hand to pull on the rear edge of the drum to remove it??
If you do this, be sure you clean/dry the drum very well before reinstalling! PB blaster and such is petroleum base and will lubricate the drum and shoe effectively making them ineffective. Brake cleaner is always a good idea before buttoning up everything too.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:19 PM   #8
doubletaco is just really nicedoubletaco is just really nicedoubletaco is just really nicedoubletaco is just really nicedoubletaco is just really nice

doubletaco's Tacoma Gallery
I know on the older taco's the drums were tappered and you had to use a puller, or you could run two bolts in the treaded holes to back them off.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:22 PM   #9
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubletaco View Post
I know on the older taco's the drums were tappered and you had to use a puller, or you could run two bolts in the treaded holes to back them off.
I keep two bolts in my tool box for this purpose. They work well at getting the drum off, no pounding with a mallet the bolt just pushes the drum right off. Too bad I can't remember the thread size
Old 07-14-2010, 01:35 PM   #10
RoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
I tried the set screw and that didn't work. Been sitting with wd40 on it. Tried a big hammer. I'll try the bolt idea.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:40 PM   #11
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
Metric or sae bolt?
Old 07-14-2010, 01:41 PM   #12
wcm608 will become famous soon enoughwcm608 will become famous soon enough

wcm608's Tacoma Gallery
I believe the bolt size to buy is 8mm 1.25 pitch.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcm608 View Post
I believe the bolt size to buy is 8mm 1.25 pitch.
That sounds like the right size for the discs...is there a bolt hole for the drums too? I didn't know that...you learn something every day!
Old 07-14-2010, 01:46 PM   #14
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
I know I have one at home. I'm at work now with all sae stuff of course
Old 07-14-2010, 01:48 PM   #15
wcm608 will become famous soon enoughwcm608 will become famous soon enough

wcm608's Tacoma Gallery
Look through this thread

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...m-removal.html
Old 07-14-2010, 01:49 PM   #16
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryde09 View Post
That sounds like the right size for the discs...is there a bolt hole for the drums too? I didn't know that...you learn something every day!
Yep, there should be two holes if I remember correctly. Google turned up 8 mm x 1.25 is the right thread as someone else mentioned above.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:47 PM   #17
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
The bolts worked like a charm! Thanks guys. I tried the ones off the skid plate, but they were too tapered. I stole the ones off one of the tail gate latches and they worked great. Sure was dirty in there. Cleaned it up a bit and all was well.