Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Could lift cause damage to front axles, axles seal, and therefore differential?

Old 07-14-2010, 03:45 PM   #1
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
Could lift cause damage to front axles, axles seal, and therefore differential?

So, as most of you may know... I have a leaking front drivers side axle seal. This is the second one in 6 months.

I brought the truck back to the local dealer yesterday morning.

According to the dealer, the reason for my failing axle seal is due to excess angle of the front driver's side axle. Probably from my lift. Which has caused excess play in the axle which has not only worn out the axle but also the front differential

I can't imagine this was caused by the RCD lift, since the cv angles are perfectly flat. Therefore the lift they are thinking of must be the previous lift 3" suspension lift. Has anyone heard of this happening?

So, now the truck is gonna be at the dealer til atleast friday getting...

a new front differential and front axles!

Anyone else experience front axle seal problems?
Old 07-14-2010, 03:47 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Never heard of a 3" lift wrecking an front diff.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:49 PM   #3
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Never heard of a 3" lift wrecking an front diff.
hmm... well they are replacing the front diff and the axles... this is what the service mechs said caused the problems... but I dunno, it sounded fishy, maybe the cv's but the front diff....

whatever it is... theaxle seal keeps failing, and they say this is due to excess play in the axle caused by the lift, and this has worn out the front diff.

I've only had the RCD for a month and the last seal failed with the 3" lift... so I can't imagine it is the RCD
Old 07-14-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pd3 View Post
I would have to agree with the puto! Have had 3" lift for just about 82K wheeled the piss out of it and never a leak from any seals, or damage to the FD?
probably not caused by the RCD lift though... the seal failed the first time about 6 months after my first lift, and failed this time about 6 months after that...

well I can't imagine any other way for the axles to have excess angle... I dunno, but all I know is that my axles are very flat right now with the RCD kit.

Maybe the dealer doesn't know whats up and this is a best guess... its probably a manufacturing issue with Toyota.

I have noticed that the front axle seals tend to fail quite often... I did a quick search and found about 5-6 thread about failed axle seals... so who knows.

The dealer is gonna replace the entire diff and axles so... whatever hopefully, this solves the problem.

while I love my Toyota... I have notice a severe inconsistencies in quality
Old 07-14-2010, 04:08 PM   #5
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Do you drive thu mud?
Old 07-14-2010, 04:11 PM   #6
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Do you drive thu mud?
yes, but not for about 5 months...twice since owning the truck and I pressure washed all the mud off afterwards... all with the previous 3" lift
Old 07-14-2010, 04:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by solus694 View Post
yes, but not for about 5 months...twice since owning the truck and I pressure washed all the mud off afterwards... all with the previous 3" lift
I responded in your other thread. As for the mud, Did you get right up there with the pressure washer and blast the mud out off the front diff and DS's?
Old 07-14-2010, 04:16 PM   #8
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I responded in your other thread. As for the mud, Did you get right up there with the pressure washer and blast the mud out off the front diff and DS's?
okay

I can't be sure that I got all that mud out but I was for sure washing the diff... I spent 2 hours pressure washing all the mud out from the engine and under the truck. matter of fact when I was recently inspecting the diff there was no mud on it.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:17 PM   #9

Quote:
okay

I can't be sure that I got all that mud out but I was for sure washing the diff... I spent 2 hours pressure washing all the mud out from the engine and under the truck. matter of fact when I was recently inspecting the diff there was no mud on it.
Welp...If you got that close, odds are, you blew the mud into the seal.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:19 PM   #10
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Welp...If you got that close, odds are, you blew the mud into the seal.
but, after having it replaced by toyota once already I have not gone into mud and it failed again
Old 07-14-2010, 04:20 PM   #11

Quote:
but, after having it replaced by toyota once already I have not gone into mud and it failed again
Im guessing the tech didnt clean the seal surface very well, or it was scored.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:22 PM   #12
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Im guessing the tech didnt clean the seal surface very well, or it was scored.
well, I'm not saying the techs know everything... or always tell the truth, but they are the ones telling me the failure was caused by play in the axle which was in turn caused by the excess angle of the axles due to the lift.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:23 PM   #13

Quote:
well, I'm not saying the techs know everything... or always tell the truth, but they are the ones telling me the failure was caused by play in the axle which was in turn caused by the excess angle of the axles due to the lift.
If that were the case, and asuming you had your lift at 3", there would be a shit load of people with the same issues.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:27 PM   #14
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If that were the case, and asuming you had your lift at 3", there would be a shit load of people with the same issues.
true...

sending you a PM

thanks for the help
Old 07-16-2010, 09:32 PM   #15
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
got the truck back today... brand new front differential and driver's side axle... woot! $2500 worth of work and parts for $0 woot x2

now I need to tackle these tie rod ends
Old 08-16-2010, 12:53 PM   #16
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
tie rod ends fixed... everything is kosher now...

I still don't know how the axle seals kept burning up

Dealer: Lift, axles were at severe angle... damaged axle and front diff
Chris4x4: Bad seal, mud in seal (x2)

or damaged during RCD install...