Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

bilstein 5100 alternative?

Old 07-18-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
bilstein 5100 alternative?

Because of the back order on Bilstein 5100's and the price tag on coil overs is it possible to run oem style shocks with toytec/eibach/ome springs without sacrificing ride quality?
Old 07-18-2010, 12:24 PM   #2
I CANT SPELL SO DONT BITCH
mwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mwild's Tacoma Gallery
I saw in a magazine that rancho now makes shocks that work just like 5100s to lift the front. I would check them out.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:36 PM   #4
What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?
moto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
moto932's Tacoma Gallery
i kind of like they have a tuning knob on them
Old 07-18-2010, 12:43 PM   #5
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Because of the back order on Bilstein 5100's and the price tag on coil overs is it possible to run oem style shocks with toytec/eibach/ome springs without sacrificing ride quality?
I would get OME shocks to go with the OME springs. I wouldn't use the Bilsteins.

As far as the Ranchos are concerned they didn't seem to be adjustable height wise and IIRC they cost more as well.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:10 PM   #6
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks for the help if i bilstein hasn't shipped out the 5100's in 3-5 weeks I might look into the rancho's more seriously (after some research of course)
Old 07-19-2010, 09:23 AM   #7
I've got the FUNK
dgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 91W - Medic
dgr540's Tacoma Gallery
Ranchos are like 160ish a shock. It is double the cost of the 5100's. I thinking about them too but went ahead a waited and called DSM and I bought a set of 5100's for all four corners. Put them in this week and.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:46 PM   #8
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgr540 View Post
Ranchos are like 160ish a shock. It is double the cost of the 5100's. I thinking about them too but went ahead a waited and called DSM and I bought a set of 5100's for all four corners. Put them in this week and.
there's a 100 debit card/rebate IF you buy two of the rancho fronts, plus two rancho 9000's for the back. they are similar to the bilstein's and will lift - at least level the truck.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:44 AM   #9

how long did it take to get your bilsteins? my rears were suppose to be here last wednesday and my fronts 3-5 weeks
Old 07-27-2010, 04:32 PM   #10

Looks like the 5100's wont be in till october and thats still not a sure deal . the shop that would install it is recommending that I just get some factory replacements and a spacer which i'm not really wanting to do. Would a eibach 3" spring/factory shock set up work? Of course coilovers would be awesome... but I'm really not willing to spend 1000 bucks just for the front MAYBE for the whole set up but theres a whole list of other things I would love to do
Old 07-27-2010, 04:38 PM   #12

man if only you were a first gen
Old 07-27-2010, 04:39 PM   #13
What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?
moto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
moto932's Tacoma Gallery
the op has a 1st gen. 1st and 2nd gens 5100 are different correct?

Edit: you beat me
Old 07-27-2010, 04:43 PM   #14
Firefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Josh
Firefighter160's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by malander View Post
Looks like the 5100's wont be in till october and thats still not a sure deal . the shop that would install it is recommending that I just get some factory replacements and a spacer which i'm not really wanting to do. Would a eibach 3" spring/factory shock set up work? Of course coilovers would be awesome... but I'm really not willing to spend 1000 bucks just for the front MAYBE for the whole set up but theres a whole list of other things I would love to do
Man just get a set of OME springs untill you want to spend more, I have the 880s on my stock shocks and they work great. They gave me bout 1.5'' on my 04 extra cab 4x4, they ride and handle much better then stock too. Plus they are only 170 for the set and install the same as spacers or bilsteins. Compress the springs pull of the top plate put the new springs in, compress and install top plates.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:14 PM   #15

thanks for the input I might put some more research into a set up like that. any mechanical issues with stock shocks and bigger springs though?
Old 07-27-2010, 05:24 PM   #16
Firefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
None with mine, I know if you get the heavy 882 and 883 springs they recommend ome shocks but with the 880 and 881s they don't.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:29 PM   #17

would any of those run around 2.5" of lift?
Old 07-27-2010, 06:22 PM   #18

Law Enforcement:
Maybe the 881s my 880s gave me 2'' but have settled to about 1.5''.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:21 PM   #19
whitetaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

whitetaco01's Tacoma Gallery
I've been looking at the rancho quicklift as well due to the backorder on the bilsteins. I've been trying to look around to get a review on these things from someone who actually has them. I wonder how they compare quality and performance wise to the bilsteins. I'm not to impressed with some of ranchos other products.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:08 AM   #20

I looked but I just can't bring myself to trust a product that has no reviews and is fairly new in the market. I think Bilstein factory replacements and some 881's will end up finding their way on my truck soon