Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Installing a diff drop

Old 07-20-2010, 01:57 PM   #1
Professional Amateur
JDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
JDMcompliant's Tacoma Gallery
Installing a diff drop

Hey all,

I'm thinking about installing a diff drop on my truck. Hard turns cause a loud POP from the front wheels and it's very concerning. Is this a difficult install?
Old 07-20-2010, 01:59 PM   #2
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Don't bother. It does virtually nothing.

If you're hearing a pop then your CVs might already be shot. How much lift are you running?
Old 07-20-2010, 02:00 PM   #3
Professional Amateur
JDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dammit. haha.

installers set my front coils at 3.5".
Old 07-20-2010, 02:01 PM   #4
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
^x2 on the pop... since you are running more than 3" of lift I suspect your cvs are going if you routinely hear a pop
Old 07-20-2010, 02:02 PM   #5
Professional Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by solus694 View Post
^x2 on the pop... since you are running more than 3" of lift I suspect your cvs are going if you routinely hear a pop
damn...it only happens when my wheel is turned completely one way or the other. any way i can tell if they're shot?
Old 07-20-2010, 02:13 PM   #6
Master of War
shitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud of

Name: Ant
shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
reach under the truck and grab the axle,try to move it,there shouldnt be any play in it
Old 07-20-2010, 02:26 PM   #7
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
x2 on diff drops being worthless. However, if you insist on giving away the money, please send it to me.

Lower your Coilovers and replace the CVs if needed. IIRC, angles are best at ~ 2.5" of lift.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:30 PM   #8
JasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
JasoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
Don't bother. It does virtually nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunctnlretard View Post
x2 on diff drops being worthless. However, if you insist on giving away the money, please send it to me.

Lower your Coilovers and replace the CVs if needed. IIRC, angles are best at ~ 2.5" of lift.

Why would a diff drop be worthless?
Old 07-20-2010, 02:32 PM   #9
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shitroc View Post
reach under the truck and grab the axle,try to move it,there shouldnt be any play in it
agreed
Old 07-20-2010, 02:32 PM   #10
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMcompliant View Post
damn...it only happens when my wheel is turned completely one way or the other. any way i can tell if they're shot?
right, but does it always happen when you turn in this manner?
Old 07-20-2010, 02:32 PM   #11
Professional Amateur

Quote:
i stepped out of the office to try it, and it's weird...i wouldn't call it "play," because i couldn't feel any movement, but there was a sound i could identify whenever i rocked it back and forth. i don't know if this is normal or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunctnlretard View Post

haha, the DD was only $30 from toytec so i thought it would be an easy fix. looks like i'm gonna have to lower my coils?
Old 07-20-2010, 02:33 PM   #12
Professional Amateur

Quote:
right, but does it always happen when you turn in this manner?
yep, always. like, i know not to turn that much when i pull out of a spot. i turn less, back up, then complete the turn.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:34 PM   #13
Master of War
shitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud of

Name: Ant
shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
i dont think diff drops are worthless at all, they are not a hard install and they help your CV angles
Old 07-20-2010, 02:35 PM   #14
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i stepped out of the office to try it, and it's weird...i wouldn't call it "play," because i couldn't feel any movement, but there was a sound i could identify whenever i rocked it back and forth. i don't know if this is normal or not.

haha, the DD was only $30 from toytec so i thought it would be an easy fix. looks like i'm gonna have to lower my coils?
yeah it shouldn't make any sounds...and probably shouldnt move at all, maybe they are about to give out
Old 07-20-2010, 02:45 PM   #15
Professional Amateur

Quote:
i dont think diff drops are worthless at all, they are not a hard install and they help your CV angles
yeah, that's what i was thinking...so someone help me out here:

1. I have a 3.5" lift in front.
2. The recommended lift for the angle for the CV joint is 2.5"
3. The diff drop will lower the differential by 1"
4. 3.5" - 1" = 2.5" (the recommended lift height for proper angle)

Am i missing something?
Old 07-20-2010, 02:46 PM   #16
CRAZY 4WHEELER
desertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
desertdude59's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like the diff drop would help you. Bet the CVs have too much of an angle on them.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:49 PM   #18
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yeah, that's what i was thinking...so someone help me out here:

1. I have a 3.5" lift in front.
2. The recommended lift for the angle for the CV joint is 2.5"
3. The diff drop will lower the differential by 1"
4. 3.5" - 1" = 2.5" (the recommended lift height for proper angle)

Am i missing something?
well give it a try diff drops are cheap and relatively easy install
Old 07-20-2010, 02:57 PM   #19
Professional Amateur

Quote:
well give it a try diff drops are cheap and relatively easy install
yeah, i figure i'd give it a shot...i mean it's less than a tank of gas
Old 07-21-2010, 07:07 AM   #20
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Differential drops work on the pre-2005 Tacomas because they actually lower the differential.

The front diff on the 05+ trucks is mounted completely differently. Installing a diff drop on the new trucks only pivots the differential, increasing the front drivesahaft u-joint angles. More stress on the front driveshaft and many people have reported vibrations from it after installing a differential drop on their trucks.

A 1" spacer will lower the differential at the spot where the inner CVs insert by less than 1/2". A larger spacer would be needed to drop a full inch, but then you're dealing with even more stress on that front driveshaft and you start running the risk of hooking your diff on something when wheeling as the front mounts are now sticking way below the truck.

Pick and choose your battles. I'd rather lower the truck an inch than deal with the issues introduced by the drop spacers.