Better Dessert leaf pack

View Poll Results: Which is better for desert
Deaver 2 28.57%
Alcan 1 14.29%
All-Pro 1 14.29%
Other...Please Specify in post 3 42.86%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-23-2010, 08:33 PM   #1
mnudo200827 is a splendid one to beholdmnudo200827 is a splendid one to beholdmnudo200827 is a splendid one to beholdmnudo200827 is a splendid one to beholdmnudo200827 is a splendid one to beholdmnudo200827 is a splendid one to beholdmnudo200827 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Michael
mnudo200827's Tacoma Gallery
Better Dessert leaf pack

Just wondering what would be a better dessert leaf pack for more higher speed stuff, i have only heard of deaver, alcan, and allpro. I am looking for about 3-4" of lift too. Does Deaver make a pack thats 3-4" or would i need a custom. I know i can get a custom one from alcan, and all pro doesnt offer a custom one but they have a 3" one. So for all you guys with experience with leaf pack which would you suggest. Thanks...Mike
Old 07-23-2010, 10:07 PM   #2
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
3 to 4 inch rear lift is high unless you are running 6 inches up front... in which case, you don't want to do any high speed desert wheeling with a drop bracket lift...

if long travel up front, then you could do a 3 or 4" rear lift and it will sit level...
Old 07-24-2010, 08:54 AM   #3
mnudo200827 is a splendid one to beholdmnudo200827 is a splendid one to beholdmnudo200827 is a splendid one to beholdmnudo200827 is a splendid one to beholdmnudo200827 is a splendid one to beholdmnudo200827 is a splendid one to beholdmnudo200827 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesdoublecab View Post
3 to 4 inch rear lift is high unless you are running 6 inches up front... in which case, you don't want to do any high speed desert wheeling with a drop bracket lift...

if long travel up front, then you could do a 3 or 4" rear lift and it will sit level...
i might go long travel up front in the future, just a little to mch money for me right now, but right now putting on camburg spindles with extended coilovers.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
06HAOLE's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldnt waste my $$ on a nice pack until you go spring under 62s. The packs cost the same amount but its night and night with a spring under setup.

Do it once or two/three times to get it right. The choice is yours.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:56 PM   #5
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06HAOLE View Post
I wouldnt waste my $$ on a nice pack until you go spring under 62s. The packs cost the same amount but its night and night with a spring under setup.

Do it once or two/three times to get it right. The choice is yours.
x2
Old 07-25-2010, 10:21 AM   #7
I thought the OME Dakars are more for hauling, I hearf they are stiffer than all the other leaf packs
Old 07-26-2010, 07:21 AM   #10
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
anything less than a SUA 62" leaf pack out back is just gonna buck like crazy

even if you just have mid trav up front, and not LT

trust me...
Old 07-26-2010, 07:37 AM   #11
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
You know when I see these kind of posts - You typically get what each poster has.

I have the All Pro 3 inch. Off Road I think they are great. The problem is I know no different - other than the stock springs.

When I worked at a Desert Proving Ground - we would go through 100s of whatever we were testing. The truck/car would be instrumented to detect movement, temperature, rate of change of movement, etc - then we would run over a test track that had exact replications of most major roads with unique characteristics - 405, Chicago Loop, etc., etc.

This way you could find out if the set up would have a wicked isolation in some odd case.

I highly doubt any of these springs go through the type of testing that Toyota did on their shit springs!

If you really want to know what is 'best' for your ride, get all 3 and test them ON YOUR UNIQUE SET UP and sell the ones that aren't as good for what ever reason. When you test them - make sure you put them through their paces in the type of driving you like to do. More than likely, one set will stand above the others.

:END RANT:
Old 07-26-2010, 12:10 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson18matt View Post
anything less than a SUA 62" leaf pack out back is just gonna buck like crazy

even if you just have mid trav up front, and not LT

trust me...
would the all pro 62" baja leafs be what you are talking about. Isnt there some tyoe of brackets you have to frabricate to fit those? And what is the lift on those if you know?
Old 07-26-2010, 12:19 PM   #13
jspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
jspadaro's Tacoma Gallery
I chose "other" because we used these for dessert for years, worked WAY better than any of the options you said, my mom loves them:
Sweet Dessert Pack

Unless maybe you're like, gonna serve Yule Log or something, I guess then you could bring it in like a roasted pig on a spit sorta, that would be pretty cool if you got the alcans. Maybe you have really heavy cake.

Just messing with you.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:21 PM   #14
College.
PatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt/6153 - CH-53E Airframe/Hydraulics Mechanic, HMH-464, MAG 29, 2nd MAW
Name: Pat
PatHLC128's Tacoma Gallery
i don't think any of what you listed would taste good at all. try a slice of pie or cheesecake.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:25 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspadaro View Post
I chose "other" because we used these for dessert for years, worked WAY better than any of the options you said, my mom loves them:
Sweet Dessert Pack

Unless maybe you're like, gonna serve Yule Log or something, I guess then you could bring it in like a roasted pig on a spit sorta, that would be pretty cool if you got the alcans. Maybe you have really heavy cake.

Just messing with you.

ya ya, i know i spelt desert wrong in the title
Old 07-26-2010, 12:26 PM   #16
jspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
jspadaro's Tacoma Gallery
lol, i'm just playing
Old 07-26-2010, 12:27 PM   #17
Quote:
lol, i'm just playing

haha ya i know you are
Old 07-26-2010, 12:39 PM   #18
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
If you're running in the desert, to do it right you'll want to go with a spring-under setup. This will involve new brackets, welding, shock hoops or a bed cage, the right shocks, etc. Moving the leaf pack under the axle frees up tons of space above the axle, allowing the suspension to compress move before parts start to interfere with each other (leafs hitting the frame, etc.)

As for the springs themselves...

Deaver makes the leafs for the Giant 64" and the DMZ 62" spring-under kits.
The Engage spring-under kit uses the All-Pro Baja Leafs. (from what I've read)
Alcan makes a nice product but you'll still need to get brackets.

From what I've seen, the Engage setup will give you the most lift. Most spring-under kits ride near stock height or about an inch higher.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:29 PM   #20
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sweet Dessert Pack

Just messing with you.
Sweet!!!