LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Need Advice on 6inch and 35 inch tire

Old 07-24-2010, 03:20 AM   #1
those who seek fear shall be followed by fear
TacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud of

Name: Chuck
TacomaMtnMan's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Need Advice on 6inch and 35 inch tire

Hey Guys,

So I picked up my 18 inch wheels w/ 35/12.5 Toyo Tires today. I was planning on a 6 inch ProComp lift... Now that I picked up the fitted tires on my wheels, they are freakin heavy and I am worried about the wear and tear of the weight of these tires. I am not worried about the rubbing or trimming needed to fit these tires...

I am so worried, that I am considering taking them back for 33 inch tires and down to a 3 inch leveling kit. I just dont like the look of the 33" on a 6 inch. If I could get somewhere to a 4 inch lift I would be happy.

I am bummed because I been doing my research on this 6 inch ProComp for a long time, but after I felt the sure weight of these tires, I feel my gas mileage will drop a lot and more wear on this truck is just not worth it.

Anyone have this setup and notice problems yet?

Thanks,
Chuck
Old 07-24-2010, 03:42 AM   #2
TacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud of

Guys at 4 wheel parts said this setup would not be a prob... but maybe they are just setting me up for Job security for replacing CV joints and new differentials.

In the far away future I plan on putting on a supercharger, but even thing I dont think this would help. Maybe running a different tire all-together, I just heard so many good ratings about the Toyo tires, but damn why so heavy? KM2 got terrible ratings compared to these but they are 15 pounds lighter per tire at least.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:05 AM   #3
Support our troops!
The End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Master at Arms
Name: Tim
The End's Tacoma Gallery
Toyos are pretty heavy in general, but they are also mounted with air in them. When I had my 265/75 Kuhmos and stock wheels it came in at over 75 pounds per assembly. Plenty on people have the set up your wanting and they all seem to be happy. If you haven't bought the lift yet and you are having doubts, then maybe you should get rid of the wheels and tires and start over. I'm not sure but I think Krookz has 33x12.50x18s on his truck and it's lifted 6" and his truck looks badass. Try searching for him and see how you like his setup.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:43 AM   #4
Sometimes I drink water...
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
my 35s+wheel is just over 100lbs and krookz's 33s+wheel is like ~110-115, IIRC. i know i've never had any issues w/ cv's so far and they would be more in line in a 6" of 4.5" RCD lift than my 3" COs.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:07 AM   #5
west coast slayer is on a distinguished road
Name: Brian
west coast slayer's Tacoma Gallery
go with the 33s. They look great with a 6 inch kit. I bought a used 2007 with 35s and a 6 inch fabtech for my son. Instantly noticed that the tires got the gears ratio so far out that the performance was a joke. I swapped the tires out for the 33s, no more rubbing,way more power and driveable. IMO and a Lot of others ,it looks much better. These are little toy trucks that cant take the abuse of a 35 inch tall tire. If you do go with 35, re gear. By the way we have a six speed manual tranny
Old 07-24-2010, 08:27 AM   #6
98_mud_bug
98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

98_Mud_bug's Tacoma Gallery
you should be fine unless you are really getting your truck in a bind. i would recommend a regear like others have said. but i dont see where it should be bad.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:59 PM   #7

Thanks for the help guys. I have been checking out 33" tires now. Does anyone know who runs a 6 inch lift with 33" Toyo tires?

Wanna see some pics.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:02 AM   #8
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
35s look sooo good tho
Old 07-26-2010, 06:38 AM   #9
west coast slayer is on a distinguished road
Name: Brian
west coast slayer's Tacoma Gallery
I am running the Toyo MT 33s I will try and post pics later for you. Trust me, 35s are way too much tire for that yota without a gear change.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:01 AM   #10
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
ill trade my 285/75/16 wheels and all toyo mts almost full tread
Old 07-26-2010, 09:16 AM   #11
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaMtnMan View Post
Thanks for the help guys. I have been checking out 33" tires now. Does anyone know who runs a 6 inch lift with 33" Toyo tires?

Wanna see some pics.

My 2007 TRD sport (black) has 33/12.50/18 Toyo Mt's with a Fabtech 6" kit. My 2005 has 35/12.50/17 Mickey Thompsons w/ a 6" Pro Comp lift. Which one do you like better?

Old 07-26-2010, 09:19 AM   #12
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
BTW, have had ZERO problems with my 2005/35's. Have 107K miles on my 2005 and runs like a top. I drive it everyday like I stole it
Old 07-26-2010, 09:21 AM   #13
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Regear and you'll be fine running 35s. If you regear it right, the drop in MPG will be minimal, considering a 6" lift and 35s...
Old 07-26-2010, 10:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay238 View Post
BTW, have had ZERO problems with my 2005/35's. Have 107K miles on my 2005 and runs like a top. I drive it everyday like I stole it

Jay I never get tired of seeing your trucks! I didn't know your black truck was running the Toyo's. I honestly have a hard time telling its a 33 and 35 except for the side-by-side photo.

Did you regear your 2005 truck to run the 35's?
Old 07-26-2010, 10:41 AM   #15
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Jay I never get tired of seeing your trucks! I didn't know your black truck was running the Toyo's. I honestly have a hard time telling its a 33 and 35 except for the side-by-side photo.

Did you regear your 2005 truck to run the 35's?
Nope, I have the 6 speed in that truck. I have over 75K miles with the 35's and it runs like day one. The 2007 is the auto and handles the 33's great. The Toyos are great, definately beefy. Surprisingly, the Mickey Thompson MTZ's have lasted a LONG time...and I do a lot of hwy driving.

PS, I'l stop whoring out my trucks lol
Old 07-26-2010, 12:48 PM   #16
Sometimes I drink water...
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
no regear and runs 35s no prob...still get thrown back in the seats hitting the gas
Old 07-27-2010, 03:26 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoridinhigh View Post
That's awesome to hear you've had 35s on it so long with no issues.

Here's mine with 35s and 4.88 gears MtnMan.

What kind of gas mileage are you getting on 4.88 gearing & how long have you been running this setup? Any issues?

Thanks!
Old 07-27-2010, 03:32 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay238 View Post
Nope, I have the 6 speed in that truck. I have over 75K miles with the 35's and it runs like day one. The 2007 is the auto and handles the 33's great. The Toyos are great, definately beefy. Surprisingly, the Mickey Thompson MTZ's have lasted a LONG time...and I do a lot of hwy driving.

PS, I'l stop whoring out my trucks lol
You can whore out your trucks all you want... you be pimpin'

Do you ever go off roading? I am wondering if the higher-center of gravity change is noticeable.

Thanks for answering the million questions guys, I guess I am OCD when it comes to my truck, I want to be sure I have it running as long as I can and not breaking it faster than I need to. I know that a heavier tire will mean more wear and probably going through breaks faster, but that comes with the great look.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:46 AM   #19
icefox has a brilliant futureicefox has a brilliant futureicefox has a brilliant futureicefox has a brilliant futureicefox has a brilliant futureicefox has a brilliant futureicefox has a brilliant futureicefox has a brilliant futureicefox has a brilliant futureicefox has a brilliant futureicefox has a brilliant future

Name: Fridfinnur
icefox's Tacoma Gallery
The bigger the better, I would just use 33" to put under the truck for laughs.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:58 PM   #20
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You can whore out your trucks all you want... you be pimpin'

Do you ever go off roading? I am wondering if the higher-center of gravity change is noticeable.

Thanks for answering the million questions guys, I guess I am OCD when it comes to my truck, I want to be sure I have it running as long as I can and not breaking it faster than I need to. I know that a heavier tire will mean more wear and probably going through breaks faster, but that comes with the great look.
Oh yea, I've done my fair share (in my 2005 at least...my PreRunner only sees the mall) It has its bumps and bruises...However, I'm not hardcore like some guys on here I'll admit that. I do the trails that I know I can do but I know there are guys with smaller lifts that have WAY bigger balls than I do (and I dont care). I did a small section of the Rubicon once...I used to work right next to the Rubicon/McKinnley access in Lake Tahoe but once my buddies in there 84' Pickups, SAS, winches, etc started getting nutz, I was gone