Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

shock broke

Old 07-24-2010, 07:51 PM   #1
commander101
jason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant future

Army: 2-16in/ 2-3in
jason1kyle's Tacoma Gallery
shock broke

Sorry guys just wanna bitch a little and find out who all has had this happen. So I go to auto shop to get my ome 885's put on my 5100's set at .85. 1st one goes on just fine then the second one kept giving us trouble ( the spring kept bending out instead of staying straight so we finally get it on good and start letting the pressure back and POP POP f*** me the ring gave out and stripped the metal off the shock so now i have my truck in my garage with the front end half out and i have to put my stock set up back on. Needless to say i'm pissed. Tried calling billstein but they dont have 24/hr customer service so i have to wait till monday. Any body else have this problem and what did you do.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:58 PM   #2
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like the ring wasnt in the groove properly. good luck getting billistein to warrantee it...
Old 07-24-2010, 08:24 PM   #3
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
x2^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 07-24-2010, 08:30 PM   #4
whitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
whitebread's Tacoma Gallery
I don't have experience with the billies, but I use to run koni struts in an old car and they had an almost identical ride height adjustment. Eventually with time the adjustment ring and seat would fail. This is one reason why I went with ome over the bilstein.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:12 PM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
spring seat was not upside down right?
X2?
Old 07-25-2010, 12:21 PM   #7
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
spring seat was not upside down right?
x3, exactly what came to mind when i read "the spring kept bending out instead of staying straight"
Old 07-25-2010, 01:16 PM   #8
commander101
jason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant future

if it was upside down then it came from bilstein like that and the ring was in the groves as best as it could be so i guess i will see what happens
Old 07-25-2010, 01:23 PM   #9
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
just a heads up....with the 885 and 886 coils,.......you shouldnt preload those....so the 5100's should stay on the stock setting.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:23 PM   #10
Jigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jigzor's Tacoma Gallery
pics
Old 07-25-2010, 01:31 PM   #11
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason1kyle View Post
if it was upside down then it came from bilstein like that and the ring was in the groves as best as it could be so i guess i will see what happens
The spring perch doesn't come installed from bilstein. It won't fit in the box that way.

Can you post a pic of the spring perch so we can see if it's right-side-up?
Old 07-25-2010, 01:40 PM   #12
commander101

pics
Attached Thumbnails
shock broke-p7250034.jpg   shock broke-p7250035.jpg   shock broke-p7250036.jpg  
Old 07-25-2010, 01:44 PM   #14
commander101

fml are u serious
Old 07-25-2010, 01:46 PM   #15
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
i believe those are upside down. if you look at the flat side there is a recessed area for the snap ring to sit in to hold it in the groove.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:48 PM   #16
Jones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jones's Tacoma Gallery
Yup

Quote:
fml are u serious
KPT is correct. Here is same page that came with my 5100's.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...in-install.pdf
Old 07-25-2010, 01:49 PM   #17

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/463608548_AR3zo-L.jpg
Old 07-25-2010, 01:50 PM   #18
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Yeppo! Upside down.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:51 PM   #19
commander101

yeah they are upside down fml cant belive i didnt catch that or the mechanic that was installing them well thanks for the help guys
Old 07-25-2010, 01:52 PM   #20
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
fml are u serious
Yeah, and that definately caused the failure of the snap ring.

With the spring perch upside down, not only are the springs compressed a whole lot more, but there's nothing to slide over the outer edge of the snap ring to keep it from unseating.

Turn them upside down and slide the seat over the ring and you'll see what I mean about keeping the ring seated. The perch forms a sheath around the ring and holds it in place.