Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

moving shock mounts on first gen

Old 07-25-2010, 08:55 AM   #1
Hermit is on a distinguished road
Hermit's Tacoma Gallery
moving shock mounts on first gen

Wanted to discuss moving my rear shock mounts - but I don't want to pester DSM - they are busy enough (I am getting my CO's and rr shocks from them).

Im building a mid-travel set up that emphasizes heavy haul, long distance four wheeling (sort of poor mans expeditioning).

Anyway, the new Deaver custom rear springs will give 2" of lift and be a bit stiff. I'm installing a U-bolt flip kit, with integrated soft Timbrens.The flip kit requires moving the shock mounts.

Things I'm thinking might be true:
1 - Im guessing the travel won't be changed all that much since the leaf springs are stock length? basically true?
2 - If the truck sits 2 to 2.5" taller then I would be able to maintain the "engineered" operation by simply rotating the mounts around the axle tubes, so the new mounts are located 2" higher than stock? about right?
3 - Im thinking the Toyota engineering is good, so trying to keep the suspension arrangement close to stock is a good idea? Aye?

Anybody have experience to suggest that I can relocate the mounts to "improve" how the suspension works? Hoping to use the Fox adjustable rr shocks, if there is a length that maximizes what travel I have available (expect I'll do the measure real travel of new springs - "then" buy shocks after method).

Just wondering if my thinking is lining up with people's experience? Really just wanting to chat a bit about suspension mods.

thanks... Don