Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

How to ease a rough ride after 3" spacer lift?

Old 07-25-2010, 07:36 PM   #1
Give 'er
wtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
wtbthree's Tacoma Gallery
How to ease a rough ride after 3" spacer lift?

Hey all,

I'm rather unhappy with my ride quality after a 3" spacer Revtek lift, it's pretty darn stiff. Apart from being rattled to death on and moderate forest road, I can't help but feel like the truck is taking a beating it's not supposed to with the stock shocks. (seems much stiffer than the my stock setup on my '05)

Having said that, I have two questions:

1. Can anyone speak about their experience with a Revtek lift or similar
spacer lift (with respect to ride quality and life/damage to the truck's
suspension setup)?

2. Could I get a softer or more quality ride by swapping stock shocks with
some Bilsteins, 5100's i guess right? I'd like to do this without spending
too much, what's the price range on those?

I've done some searching already, sorry if there's a thread I've missed. Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:40 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Spacers are going to be rough. To fix it you need to either get some 5100's and set them at 2.5 (get rid of the spacers), or get some lift coils, or get some coilovers.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:43 PM   #3
Give 'er
wtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shed

clearly I know next to nothing when it comes to suspension setups, what are lift coils and coilovers?
Old 07-25-2010, 07:46 PM   #4
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtbthree View Post
clearly I know next to nothing when it comes to suspension setups, what are lift coils and coilovers?
Enter these words into a search and read! Best way to do it I believe. Not trying to be an ass!
Old 07-25-2010, 07:47 PM   #5
Give 'er

no worries, my bad, just being lazy, lol
Old 07-25-2010, 07:50 PM   #6
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Lift coils are coils you can buy that are actually longer and more heavy duty than stock. OME makes some good ones. Coilovers are the high end of lifts and are actually a high performance version of the stock strut. Searching will answer all the questions you may have
Old 07-25-2010, 07:56 PM   #7
Give 'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Lift coils are coils you can buy that are actually longer and more heavy duty than stock. OME makes some good ones. Coilovers are the high end of lifts and are actually a high performance version of the stock strut. Searching will answer all the questions you may have
Yea, coilovers are way out of my price range i think, I'll look into lift coils.
Thanks guys
Old 07-25-2010, 07:59 PM   #8
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, look strongly into 5100's and OME 886 springs!
I'm ain't sayin', I'm just sayin'!
Old 07-25-2010, 08:07 PM   #9
Give 'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWreck View Post
Yes, look strongly into 5100's and OME 886 springs!
I'm ain't sayin', I'm just sayin'!
Will do, and in doing that I would get the same 3" ride height I have now, but with a softer ride correct? (no more Revtek shenanigans)?
Old 07-25-2010, 08:10 PM   #10
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Keep this in mind, I lifted my truck with the 885s and got about 3 inches then shortly after I put on the supercharger and sagged down to 1.5 and 2 inches driver and passanger, I believe the weight of the SC acted like a bumper or a winch and sagged the springs or not letting them lift as they should, so I would recommend 886s coils to get a full 3 inches
Old 07-25-2010, 08:26 PM   #11
blackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brian
blackwidow2009's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hey all,

I'm rather unhappy with my ride quality after a 3" spacer Revtek lift, it's pretty darn stiff. Apart from being rattled to death on and moderate forest road, I can't help but feel like the truck is taking a beating it's not supposed to with the stock shocks. (seems much stiffer than the my stock setup on my '05)

Having said that, I have two questions:

1. Can anyone speak about their experience with a Revtek lift or similar
spacer lift (with respect to ride quality and life/damage to the truck's
suspension setup)?

2. Could I get a softer or more quality ride by swapping stock shocks with
some Bilsteins, 5100's i guess right? I'd like to do this without spending
too much, what's the price range on those?

I've done some searching already, sorry if there's a thread I've missed. Any help is appreciated.

I have read that others have had "ruff/ruffer rides" after a spacer lift.

I had a 2000 tacoma (4X4), and now a 2009 tacoma (4X4), both I installed a 2.5" spacer lift, and on both did not experience and difference in ride quality. I'm not say you or anyone else is wrong, everyone knows their truck better then anyone else.

But when I think about it, if nothing is changed except for added the spacer, the ride really should'nt change. The coilovers are still the same, the compression that they are under is the same because the weight of the vehicle has'nt changed, and the travle that the springs can travle has not changed; so I'm a little confused why some people do feal a ruffer ride.

Just curious. :-)
Old 07-25-2010, 08:27 PM   #12
Give 'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
Keep this in mind, I lifted my truck with the 885s and got about 3 inches then shortly after I put on the supercharger and sagged down to 1.5 and 2 inches driver and passanger, I believe the weight of the SC acted like a bumper or a winch and sagged the springs or not letting them lift as they should, so I would recommend 886s coils to get a full 3 inches
yea, I've done some reading and that looks like a common problem with the 885's, apparently they are a no-go for DC's and anyone with extra weight (ie an SC or plate bumper) Thanks, I'll only be looking at the 886's

Would it be ok to only go with the coils for now and look into the 5100's later? or would I have to get them both at the same time in order to do away with the spacers?
Old 07-25-2010, 08:28 PM   #13
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwidow2009 View Post

I had a 2000 tacoma (4X4), and now a 2009 tacoma (4X4), both I installed a 2.5" spacer lift, and on both did not experience and difference in ride quality. I'm not say you or anyone else is wrong, everyone knows their truck better then anyone else.

But when I think about it, if nothing is changed except for added the spacer, the ride really should'nt change. The coilovers are still the same, the compression that they are under is the same because the weight of the vehicle has'nt changed, and the travle that the springs can travle has not changed; so I'm a little confused why some people do feal a ruffer ride.

did your spacer go on top of the coilover assembly or did it go between the coil and top plate?
Old 07-25-2010, 08:29 PM   #14
braaap

Quote:
yea, I've done some reading and that looks like a common problem with the 885's, apparently they are a no-go for DC's and anyone with extra weight (ie an SC or plate bumper) Thanks, I'll only be looking at the 886's

Would it be ok to only go with the coils for now and look into the 5100's later? or would I have to get them both at the same time in order to do away with the spacers?
I would do it all at once. Better than having to take it all appart again down the road.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:32 PM   #15
Give 'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwidow2009 View Post

Definitely a valid point, doesn't seem like anything should change. But I swear the ride on my truck now is much stiffer, hmmm, or at least stiffer than I would like it to be/has to be
Old 07-25-2010, 08:34 PM   #16
braaap

Quote:
Definitely a valid point, doesn't seem like anything should change. But I swear the ride on my truck now is much stiffer, hmmm, or at least stiffer than I would like it to be/has to be
Im thinking he has the type of spacer that goes on top of the whole coil assembly which does not change the stiffness. It does however cause a lot of extra stress on the cv's and ball joints because the wheel now has more down travel and less up travel.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:37 PM   #17
Give 'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
I would do it all at once. Better than having to take it all appart again down the road.
For sure, but taking the spacers out and throwing the OME springs in would not change the ride height right? I can't afford to lose any height from my lift with the 285's I'm running, its darn close as it is.

I'm thinking I'll get a set of 886's for the front and pull out the spacers. Then buy a pair of 5100's for the rear, (maybe get the tsb too)
Old 07-25-2010, 08:44 PM   #18
braaap

Quote:
For sure, but taking the spacers out and throwing the OME springs in would not change the ride height right?

I'm thinking I'll get a set of 886's for the front and pull out the spacers. Then buy a pair of 5100's for the rear, (maybe get the tsb too)
Well Im not sure how the stock front shocks would handle the 886's since I've never heard of anyone doing that. You would stay at the same height as you are now regardless of what you decide to do. I have 881's (the first gen version of the 885's) with the billies set at 0 and got about 2" of lift. also definitely get the tsb otherwise you'll have a nasty "bro lean".
Old 07-25-2010, 08:48 PM   #19
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
For sure, but taking the spacers out and throwing the OME springs in would not change the ride height right? I can't afford to lose any height from my lift with the 285's I'm running, its darn close as it is.

Those 886's are gonna ride hard on the stock shocks. You may want to consider the 885's, unless you are getting a larger (More heavy) front bumper, and a winch. The 885's will get you close to 3" lift.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:52 PM   #20
Give 'er

Ok, well I guess it'll be Billies and OME springs for the front. I just need to make doubly sure that I wont have any less lift than I do now.

As for the rear, I would just swap in the Billies and leave the u-bolts/spacers?
Or would getting the TSB and putting the billies in be enough to keep my 3"

thanks for all the help