Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Newbie Lift Kit Questions

Old 07-28-2010, 01:32 AM   #1
H0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant future
H0LLYW00D's Tacoma Gallery
Newbie Lift Kit Questions

I have searched the forums and have been to the many shops that do lifts around Calgary and I think I have more questions than i got answers, so here it goes.

1) For a daily driver / mild or medium off-road toy which lift height is better 3" or 6"?

2) Do these tire and lift sizes match (33" with a 3" lift or 35" with 6" lift)?

3) Running 33" tires on a 6" lift would look silly?

4) If i want 6" of lift i will have to change the gearing on 35" tires or the truck will bog and have no go?

5) What is the best way to do it right and get the truck to do what i want but at the same time not over stress the stock components and make the truck unreliable?

Thanks again everyone, eventually I'll get enough knowledge and information to get the right parts for me and the truck and I'll post a thread with all I have done to her. I promise I'll start a build thread really soon, with pictures to boot.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:37 AM   #2
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
For a DD I recommend the a 3" with 33s or 285s (metric 33)
With a 3" lift you will need new Upper Control Arms to fix any alignment issues you may have and new wheels with a deeper back spacing and offset (or you can run wheels spacers...like Spidertraxs though not recommended as they can cause wear and tear on certain components)
Old 07-28-2010, 01:48 AM   #3
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by H0LLYW00D View Post
I have searched the forums and have been to the many shops that do lifts around Calgary and I think I have more questions than i got answers, so here it goes.

1) For a daily driver / mild or medium off-road toy which lift height is better 3" or 6"?

3"

2) Do these tire and lift sizes match (33" with a 3" lift or 35" with 6" lift)?

yes, although lots of people run 33's on a 6"

3) Running 33" tires on a 6" lift would look silly?

a little but not bad

4) If i want 6" of lift i will have to change the gearing on 35" tires or the truck will bog and have no go?

You should gear it for 35's but not absolutely necessary with the 4.0L

5) What is the best way to do it right and get the truck to do what i want but at the same time not over stress the stock components and make the truck unreliable?

Do what coltsTRD said to do lol

Thanks again everyone, eventually I'll get enough knowledge and information to get the right parts for me and the truck and I'll post a thread with all I have done to her. I promise I'll start a build thread really soon, with pictures to boot.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:43 AM   #4
TacomaNJ is on a distinguished road
TacomaNJ's Tacoma Gallery
What kind of backspacing would you recommend? Is 4" enough?
Old 07-29-2010, 11:41 AM   #5
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaNJ View Post
What kind of backspacing would you recommend? Is 4" enough?
i'd go with 4.5
Old 07-29-2010, 11:43 AM   #6

here's some pics of how far my wheels stick out with 5" 0 offset

Hope this helps...