Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Taco lifting aggrivation

Old 07-30-2010, 07:29 AM   #1
DethTaco is on a distinguished road

Army: 16th CAV
DethTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Taco lifting aggrivation

I'm tearing my friggin face off with this...

I'm getting a fabtech 6" IFS suspension kit but the "what I'll need" info vs. "what I can afford" vs. "what will work info" vs. "what I need to know" info is killing me.
I found out that I shouldn't goto 35" tires unless I regear. Thank gawd that's over with.
So I'm getting 33x12.5x16R's until I can afford the gears.
Fabtech says I need a 4" backspace but I can't find a 4" backspacer. They don't specify what tire/wheel width needs that much spacing and I can't find info on the spacin for the rear to retain as much turning radius as possible. I.e 1 1/2 front 0.0 rear. Or something related to that.
I've been tearing up the Internet for a week now trying to figure out all the crap I need to make sure this lift works without dropping a surprise $1500 once I get my front end torn apart.
Any help would be most appreciated.
2000 Tacoma 4x4 XCab 3.4 V6
Installing Fabtech 6" suspension kit w/front and rear shocks. Factory or factory sized aftermarket coils. (still don't know which...)
33x12.5x16r tires already ordered.
Stock rims 16x7(if the tires fit on them) w/6 lug x 5.5" bolt patern.

And whatever the hell else I find out that I'll need...

/face palm

Thanks all
Old 07-30-2010, 07:53 AM   #2
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
I hope this helps...

12.5 Wide tires probably shouldn't be mounted on 7 inch wide rims -gona look ballooned and wear weird.

Fabtech is referring to the backspacing on the rims need to be 4 inches.

Post more specifics and search and try and find a member who has the fabtech 6inch on his 1st gen and PM them some questions..
Old 07-30-2010, 08:15 AM   #3

I figured I would run into that issue with the rims. Anyone got some cheap used rims that don't look like a bag of smashed buttholes?

Now if I get rims with, say, a 2" back space and put 2" spacers on there, would that work?
Old 07-30-2010, 09:15 AM   #4

Ok. Think I got some helpfull info. But It leads to yet another question... Yay...
So the 4" backspace question is regarding the backspacing of the wheels, not "spacers."
I might have a line on some 15"x10" rims to go with the tires I've ordered.
New question: to retain turning radius after the 6" lift and 33"x12.5"x15r tires, can I still use a 1.5" spacer on the fronts and no spacer on the rears?
Old 07-30-2010, 09:20 AM   #5
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DethTaco View Post
I figured I would run into that issue with the rims. Anyone got some cheap used rims that don't look like a bag of smashed buttholes?

Now if I get rims with, say, a 2" back space and put 2" spacers on there, would that work?
Here's some 17s that look nice & nice price...even have some tires that'll last awhile too. Not sure if they're anything you'd be interested in but they are next door to ya in southern Indiana..........kinda

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy...bars-05-a.html
Old 07-30-2010, 09:44 AM   #6

Hmmm I might try and wrestle the wheels from him. Gotta see if I get the other wheels first though.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:39 AM   #7
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
on a first gen taco, especially with 33s, look into a 16x8 wheel... for the older gens, there are a bunch of wheels with a 4" backspace...

i just sold my old set with 4" bs a couple weeks ago for $180 for the set....

are you looking for steel wheels or alloys?

chrome, polished, or black?

15x10s are pretty wide and may look a bit low-profile unless running a 13+ inch wide tire...
Old 07-30-2010, 02:38 PM   #8

Chrome or polished. Black if they look decent.
I don't really care as long as they are cheap and don't look retarded on a black tacoma.
I've already got the 33x12.5x15" tires so I gotta stick with them for now. Later on I'll get better gear once I learn more about what I want and what I need. Right now I'm just trying to get my rig started.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:10 PM   #10

And the 12.5" wide tires won't bubble out?
Old 07-30-2010, 03:21 PM   #11
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DethTaco View Post
And the 12.5" wide tires won't bubble out?
they will bubble a little but in a good way... it wont look crazy...
Old 07-30-2010, 03:45 PM   #12

Ok cool. I'll see what I can find in the used department. My budget has been curb-stomped already...
Old 07-30-2010, 03:50 PM   #13
CEaton is on a distinguished road
CEaton's Tacoma Gallery
Didnt you say you already ordered 16in tires? But now looking into ordering 15 or 17in wheels? Am I missing something?
Old 07-30-2010, 03:50 PM   #14
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
if your a second gen 15" wheels wont fit. If you have stock TRD wheels they are 16x8 5.5" backspace and will fit a 285/75 16 fine. then you need an 1.25" spidertrax spacer for the wheels to make the backspacing 4"
Old 07-30-2010, 04:10 PM   #15

I have a set of spare stock '04 wheels but they are 16x7. My truck is a 2000 and the stock rims on it are 15x7.
The tires I ordered are 33x12.5x15r and I'm lookin for wider rims than what I currently own.
At some point I think I confused myself into thinking I had ordered 16r's.
Not sure why though...