Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

1st Gen Bilstein 5100 Part Numbers

Old 11-08-2010, 11:00 PM   #21
TacoBlitz is on a distinguished road
Name: Jake
TacoBlitz's Tacoma Gallery
hey Is it true that if you use taller springs (for example the 881s) with the front 5100s that it will limit the down travel of the shocks?

I thought that the 5100s were designed to work with a 0 to 3 inch lift...
Old 11-09-2010, 09:04 AM   #22
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
No, that doesn't sound right. The longer shocks (5100s) work with the longer springs (881s are about 2 inches over stock) so that downtravel will not be limited.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:05 PM   #23
TacoBlitz is on a distinguished road
Name: Jake
TacoBlitz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
No, that doesn't sound right. The longer shocks (5100s) work with the longer springs (881s are about 2 inches over stock) so that downtravel will not be limited.
Ok thanks.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:05 PM   #24
thebaugh23 is on a distinguished road

Army: Fort Lewis Wa 8-1 CAV
Name: Eston
thebaugh23's Tacoma Gallery
rear shocks

has anyone had to replace the rea shocks yet. how long did it take and can i do it in garage with simple tools. is there a vid on it or steps? does anyone have any good tips. im replacing my this weekend with replacement bilsteins
Old 12-17-2010, 06:26 PM   #25
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebaugh23 View Post
has anyone had to replace the rea shocks yet. how long did it take and can i do it in garage with simple tools. is there a vid on it or steps? does anyone have any good tips. im replacing my this weekend with replacement bilsteins
It's about as basic as a job can be (this assumes you don't live in a heavy snow/salt area, in which case you should have a sawzall, flamethrower, and hand grenades handy). Four bolts, a little grease. You'll want to grease the rubber bushings a little so they slide on easier. I suggest hanging it from the top first and just start that bolt so the shock hangs loosely without falling off as you use both hands to push (compress) the bottom up and onto the axle. You can jack up the rear of the truck a bit so you don't have to compress the shock as much to get it on.

I think it is 17mm (or 19, can't remember) bolts, 53 ft lbs on all four. See attached diagram.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SA-209_rear leaf_comp.pdf (42.9 KB, 341 views)
Old 12-19-2010, 02:42 PM   #26
Greenhorn
95.5 taco is on a distinguished road

Name: Kyle Osborne
95.5 taco's Tacoma Gallery
little help please. i need 4 new shocks(front and rear) and i live on a ruff ass dirt road so i thought i might as well get the best of the best (bilsteins)! so here is where i need help......which 1s do i need if i have a 3" lift??
Old 12-25-2010, 04:59 PM   #27
.Trdtaco315. is on a distinguished road

Name: Will
.Trdtaco315.'s Tacoma Gallery
what would be a good front coil for the 5100s instead of stock.or should i just replace the stocks
Old 03-01-2011, 01:23 PM   #28
mfkokoska is on a distinguished road
Name: matt
mfkokoska's Tacoma Gallery
Will the blistien 5100 rear shock fit a 3 inch lift

I want to get these shocks but I'm wondering if they will fit my 2.5 inch suspesion lift.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:24 PM   #29
newskooler is a jewel in the roughnewskooler is a jewel in the roughnewskooler is a jewel in the rough

Firefighter: firefighter
Name: Nick
newskooler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfkokoska View Post
I want. To get these shocks but I'm wondering if they will fit my
inch lift
what exactly do you mean by inch lift? body lift?
Old 04-21-2011, 09:47 PM   #30
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95.5 taco View Post
little help please. i need 4 new shocks(front and rear) and i live on a ruff ass dirt road so i thought i might as well get the best of the best (bilsteins)! so here is where i need help......which 1s do i need if i have a 3" lift??
The 5100 series will accomodate a 3" lift..

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Trdtaco315. View Post
what would be a good front coil for the 5100s instead of stock.or should i just replace the stocks
From what info I've gotten the Eibach/ToyTek coils perform best with the 5100's , this is the route I'm going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfkokoska View Post
I want to get these shocks but I'm wondering if they will fit my 2.5 inch suspesion lift.
Yes...
Old 09-15-2011, 10:24 AM   #31
BlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud of
Navy: EM1 Coastal Warfare
BlackSportD's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BlackSportD
Interesting that there are 5100s for the rear, with different part numbers drivers side and passenger side, same on Down South Motorsport's site, but I was told the rears are not good for stock ride-height, that quote, "If leaving the rear suspension stock, the compression bump stop on chassis may need to be modified."

Anyone using the 5100 rears on the OE ride-height without blowing the shock?

Also maybe a good update for the first post/thread, anyone have the Toyota part numbers for the rubber stem cushions and washers for two front struts? Don't want to re-use my 180K ones.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:13 AM   #32
BlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud of
I finally installed the package I ordered from Down South, 5100 fronts set to OE ride height (IMO actually the lowest perch seems to be a tad bit higher than OE, leveling the truck), and 5125s in the rear as I'm staying at the OE ride height for now.

I didn't get the new OE rubber mount parts (my old ones are cracking a bit...), but I did buy the shocks with the optional boots, just to give me a warm fuzzy that no debris finds itself wearing down the seals.

Edit*
5100- Great shocks- not overly harsh at all, but sure as heck fixed the sway and certain bouncy tendencies my truck had, having the passenger side OE shocks blown. You can tell they are off-road valved vs. road comfort valved such as the KYB Monomax. If one is looking for street driving replacement only, the KYBs sound to be valved for that, more so than the 5100s. Still- Bilstein delivers- I can see why Down South gets them by the crates, and still runs out time to time.

The 5125s I got for the rear as I was not lifting the truck-- feel like they are generic and not valved for the Tacoma at all. Super stiff compression, almost non-resistant rebound= back crushing over a bump then Fling! up into the air. Gives the feeling that my rear spring rate has tripled and at the same time have no shocks. If I could just magically swap the compression/rebound valving, maybe they would be better.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:57 PM   #33
jbrandt will become famous soon enough
jbrandt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by newskooler View Post
for those who forget to order the bushings for the rear Energy Suspension has some the number from the website 98109. but maybe listed as 98.109B(black) at your parts store.
FYI

I just ordered a set of 5100's for my 2004 4x4 from DSM. They came WITH bushings...

I asked at DSM for the bushings, and they said I'd have to get them at the dealer, so which bushing are we talking about here? The rear shock bushings? Or the upper bushings on the front (the ones that go between the upper shock perch)??
Old 12-28-2011, 06:39 PM   #34
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 View Post
listen i know this is old but doug did you ever get the tundy billies and the taco eibachs in? how much did they lift you and how stiff is it and how much travel do you have?
No I'm still running the 1st gen Tundra 5100's with stock coils, but from all info i got the Eibach's will give a true 3" lift with the billies set at zero & remain within specs for alignment according to the REP I talked to...
Old 12-29-2011, 12:15 PM   #35
Update to my review- I really wished I 'risked it' with 5100s in the rear (risky as Down South told me the 5100s in the rear are not the right length for stock ride-hight, could get damaged during full compression/rebound). Down South recommended the 5125s due to their proper lengths, I specifically asked on the phone what the difference was besides lenght, "they are a little stiffer, but we haven't had any complaints.".

Well DS, I guess this is your official complaint.

I was an avoid autocrosser and have adjustable coilovers on my ricer- I know a thing or two about shock tuning-- I'm really bummed with these 5125s. They are not a little bad, but scary bad- over some imperfections that cause my two other cars no issue, the truck's rear end literally catches air- once on the freeway (405 near LAX) and was pretty scary.

Putting this review out there as there isn't much info at all on these. For a purely road driven ride the 5100s may be considered wrong for the application, for occasional off-roading the 5100s give a nice blend of off-road valving intentions, but are still good for on the road. The 5125s make no sense to me, the valving seems ass backwards-- maybe its good if one has a heavy load in the back at all times.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:38 PM   #36
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSportD View Post
Update to my review- I really wished I 'risked it' with 5100s in the rear (risky as Down South told me the 5100s in the rear are not the right length for stock ride-hight, could get damaged during full compression/rebound). Down South recommended the 5125s due to their proper lengths, I specifically asked on the phone what the difference was besides lenght, "they are a little stiffer, but we haven't had any complaints.".

Well DS, I guess this is your official complaint.

I was an avoid autocrosser and have adjustable coilovers on my ricer- I know a thing or two about shock tuning-- I'm really bummed with these 5125s. They are not a little bad, but scary bad- over some imperfections that cause my two other cars no issue, the truck's rear end literally catches air- once on the freeway (405 near LAX) and was pretty scary.

Putting this review out there as there isn't much info at all on these. For a purely road driven ride the 5100s may be considered wrong for the application, for occasional off-roading the 5100s give a nice blend of off-road valving intentions, but are still good for on the road. The 5125s make no sense to me, the valving seems ass backwards-- maybe its good if one has a heavy load in the back at all times.

Your problem isn't from shocks, if your still stock sprung in the rear, more than likely thats where your issues with lane dancing down the road are going to be, I've been running my 5125's with a 3" lift with flawless on/offroad performance
Old 12-30-2011, 08:56 AM   #37
^^ That sounds ass backwards-- it was fine with worn-out OE shocks, and "good" new shocks then make the driving dynamics ass?

I bought this truck used- do they have the tail happiness from the factory/fresh OE shocks? Then I guess tired OE shocks are actually optimum and better than others with OE springs. I would imagine being lifted 3" changes the dynamics- maybe thats where these shocks shine- but at OE height/springs-- I want my blown OEs back. I might make this a 5100 front/ KYB Monomax rear combo- or just be patient and hold out until I inevitably raise the truck... For a lift the 5150s looked really good- if their valving are like the 5100 I'm sold, if they are like teh 5125-- no way.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #38
zbaldo has a spectacular aura aboutzbaldo has a spectacular aura about

Name: Ozzy
zbaldo's Tacoma Gallery
My 5125's are like my new bed firm but can take the beating.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #39
ckblum is a glorious beacon of lightckblum is a glorious beacon of lightckblum is a glorious beacon of lightckblum is a glorious beacon of lightckblum is a glorious beacon of lightckblum is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Cam
ckblum's Tacoma Gallery
Are the rears two different lengths? What is different about them that they have different part numbers?

Reason I ask is I think mine are on the wrong sides. Checking right now.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #40
ckblum is a glorious beacon of lightckblum is a glorious beacon of lightckblum is a glorious beacon of lightckblum is a glorious beacon of lightckblum is a glorious beacon of lightckblum is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Cam
ckblum's Tacoma Gallery
Well I literally just checked and they are backwards. Let's hope 15000km wasn't enough to wreck anything. Didn't do off road, service roads a few times.