Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

N00b Questions on Lift

Old 06-22-2008, 11:13 PM   #1
PhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Civil Air Patrol (US Air Force Auxiliary)
PhoenixCadet's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to PhoenixCadet
N00b Questions on Lift

Ok - here's the thing:

When it comes time to get my Taco, it's probably going to be a 4x2. From what I've seen (online and in person), 4x2s aren't much higher than this (right off the lot):

Now, all of the Pre-runners / 4x4's I see are a bit higher - like this:

It may not seem like a big difference to some of you - but for some reason, I see that as a pretty big difference. The access cab above would be perfect, in my opinion.

How would I go about getting a 4x2 (access cab) like that? Where would I take it? What would I need to get?
Old 06-22-2008, 11:30 PM   #2
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
I think the first one is a 5 lug Tacoma, and the second is a prerunner, all prerunners come like that....5 lug sits a lil bit lower..... please correct me if i am wrong....
Old 06-22-2008, 11:33 PM   #3
"Living life in the FAST lane..."
05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

05PreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 05PreRunner
From what i know........the prerunner has the same suspension setup as the
4x4. The 5 lug tacoma is/looks significantly lower than the prerunner and the
4x4
Old 06-22-2008, 11:36 PM   #4
PhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05PreRunner View Post
4x4
That's what it says on the Toyota website. If I'm not getting a pre-runner, however, but I'd like it at the height of a pre-runner, how would I go about doing that? (I'm not familiar with suspension systems.)
Old 06-22-2008, 11:39 PM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05PreRunner View Post
4x4
Also...
Suspension geometry is different on the *mini*
They have a sprung-under rear suspension versus the spring-over on the Prerunner.

Also - don't the *mini's* come with a 2.4L engine on the 4cyl? Versus 2.7L on the Pre-runner. You can't get a 4.0L in the mini.

PhoenixCadet - definately get yourself a Pre-runner version (or 4x4). It'll cost a little bit more than the mini - but you'll be much happier.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:44 AM   #6
Northern Alliance: padawan
RoadKill is on a distinguished road

RoadKill's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
PhoenixCadet - definately get yourself a Pre-runner version (or 4x4). It'll cost a little bit more than the mini - but you'll be much happier.
Amen
Old 06-23-2008, 06:15 AM   #8
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Post ...and the long reply ensues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Also...
Suspension geometry is different on the *mini*
They have a sprung-under rear suspension versus the spring-over on the Prerunner.

Also - don't the *mini's* come with a 2.4L engine on the 4cyl? Versus 2.7L on the Pre-runner. You can't get a 4.0L in the mini.

Toyota did away with the 2.4L engine in 2001. The 2.7L VVt-i is available for these models:

'Mini'/5-Lug Suspension 2.7L
Regular Cab - Tacoma (options: Auto/Manual, SR5, A/C, cruise, etc...)
Access Cab - Tacoma (options: Auto/Manual, SR5, A/C, cruise, etc...)

Off-Road Suspension 2.7L
Regular Cab - Tacoma PreRunner (options: MANUAL ONLY, SR5, A/C, cruise, etc...)
Access Cab - Tacoma PreRunner (options: MANUAL ONLY, SR5, A/C, cruise, etc...)
Regular Cab - Tacoma 4x4 (options: MANUAL ONLY, SR5, A/C, cruise, etc...)
Access Cab - Tacoma 4x4 (options: MANUAL ONLY, SR5, A/C, cruise, etc...)

Converting a "mini" to PreRunner suspension isn't difficult. You will nee to get taller spring OR blocks for the front, and "flip" the rear suspension as Janster pointed out. This means that the leaf springs (long metal springs shaped as an upside-down arc) have the axle (power from the engine to the wheels) mounted on the top (or inner side) of these arc'ed springs. Theoretically, all you have to do is disassemble the rear suspension system and remount the axle underneath the springs instead of on top. However, there are gas compression shocks underneath that will either require an extension, OR be replaced (~$50-$80 each). This is also true of the front suspension.

One major thing to consider when "pumping up" a mini...

Mini Tacoma are made to be small efficient trucks. Therefore they have a lower rear differential gear on the rear end. This allows them to spin the engine less to maintain a constant - usually highway - speed. This is especially true of the automatics. If you raise the truck, you will inevitably want to get larger tires. These tires increase more over the efficiency of the engine at highway speeds. HOWEVER - they will also GREATLY hurt your acceleration. This means that you are putting more load on the engine to move the vehicle without adding any weight to it.

In my humble opinion , the only two reasons to raise a 'mini' to PreRunner height instead of just getting the PreRunner are to get the automatic transmission (which requires quite a bit of work when all is said-and-done), or to make you own PreRunner on a budget over time (which requires money and know-how). Honestly, I would just go with the PreRunner if that is what you like. If the Automatic is a must, then consider the V6. It doesn't sound like a complete remodel of a new truck is something that you are ready to dive head first in.

I hope all this helps (and you don't have a headache from reading it...).

Cheers!
Old 06-23-2008, 06:36 AM   #9
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thumbs up Here is some inspiration if you want to stick to a 'mini'

Also, there are a number of people that have just changed the wheels/tires on the 'mini'/5-lugs to get the look they wanted, and walked away with awesome trucks. Check these out from some of our members...

Synapse just painted the 5-lug wheels...

gm3bow didn't go much bigger, but got new wheels and tires. It looks like a completely different truck...

hammerdog got some Sienna/Camry wheels and slapped them on for the OEM look. This was sweet too...

DrifterFreak210 went all out!!! Check it out here...

Long story short - don't get discouraged, and DON'T settle! Get what you want and need, but most importantly get what you will want to drive for a long time. I made the mistake of settling on an 07 Access Cab. Turns out I really needed the Double Cab. So, 14 months into owning my 07' I had to trade it in - not fun.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:18 AM   #10
I dub thee malicious!

Also, Check this out...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...tml#post115135
Old 06-23-2008, 11:07 AM   #11
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm3bow View Post
What matters more, ride height or gas mileage??? If it's gas mileage then get an i4 auto access cab like mine and add some slightly larger and wider tires to improve road handling and give the truck a small lift and better stance. If ride height is more important then get a 2.7L prerunner (only comes in manual tranny). In case you want to know, I get 25-27 mpg hwy and 22-24city.
I noticed your avatar has changed... Are you gonna upload some new pics?!?!
(damn - where's the "beg" smiley?)
Old 06-23-2008, 12:54 PM   #12

Thank you all for the replies. I'll have to look everything over in-depth when I get a chance.

Here's another question, though. I know 4x4s get less mileage than 4x2s - but is that only when you're actually driving in 4x4 (they have selector switches, right?). In 4x2, you're getting the 4x2 mileage. Is that right?
Old 06-23-2008, 02:51 PM   #13
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixCadet View Post
Thank you all for the replies. I'll have to look everything over in-depth when I get a chance.

Here's another question, though. I know 4x4s get less mileage than 4x2s - but is that only when you're actually driving in 4x4 (they have selector switches, right?). In 4x2, you're getting the 4x2 mileage. Is that right?
Actually the 4WD vehicles now-a-days, don't get significantly less fuel economy like the older ones. You are really looking at a 1-2 MPG loss on a 4WD vehicle. This loss is because of the extra weight of the 4WD components, and the extra power required to turn those components (some of which turn whether 4WD is engaged or not).

NOTE - ALL FUEL ECONOMY NUMBERS FOR 4WD VEHICLES ARE WITHOUT 4WD ENGAGED!

The only time the EPA accounts for a vehicle being in 4WD is when the vehicle is full-time 4WD (or AWD - All-Wheel-Drive) such as the RAV4, the LandCruiser, or the Subaru vehicles.

I would have a 4WD Tacoma except I never used 4WD - even in very serious situations (snow, ice, mud, heavy rain, etc...), and I got a hell of a deal on my PreRunner ($3,000 off). Besides, my wife's RAV4 has me covered for the rest.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:12 PM   #14

I've been doing some research on used-car sites (carmax, etc.) and one keep seeing earlier generation Tacos that are both Prerunner-type and I4 automatic.

Does anyone know when they stopped making Prerunners in I4 automatic?
Old 06-23-2008, 10:27 PM   #15
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixCadet View Post
I've been doing some research on used-car sites (carmax, etc.) and one keep seeing earlier generation Tacos that are both Prerunner-type and I4 automatic.

Does anyone know when they stopped making Prerunners in I4 automatic?
I might be wrong, but I believe that 2001 was the last year for the 2.7L PreRunner Automatic (This is not the same engine as the 05+ Tacomas). I don't believe that they carried the full 4 cylinder line all the way to 2004, but I might be wrong...
Old 06-24-2008, 06:07 AM   #16
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm3bow View Post
...my truck actually looks pretty cool the way i have it.
I agree!

I got some PMs last night about putting larger size tires on the 4 lug. I can't remember if you went larger or just better looking/handling. Can you speak to this point?
Old 06-26-2008, 04:30 PM   #17

So - I've come to the conclusion that I'm most likely going to go for the I4 instead of the V-6. Given that (to some) it may not be a big deal in MPG, on a high school intern's budget, it might be.

My last question is regarding lift kits. I read in this thread (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...coma-5lug.html) about what it would take to raise my 4x2 up to the height of a Prerunner.

My question is - where would I take it to do this? It may seem like an elementary question, but I wouldn't know how to do it myself, and don't know what place would be best to take it to.

(If it helps, for locations, I'm in San Diego.)
Old 06-26-2008, 05:36 PM   #18
Pat will become famous soon enough

Pat's Tacoma Gallery
TAG in Escondido is a good place. I have got a truck done there before and Im going to get my Tacoma done there soon too.

http://www.tagmotorsports.com/
Old 06-26-2008, 05:50 PM   #19

Sweeeet.

That's only 10 minutes from my school.

Thanks!
Old 06-27-2008, 05:55 AM   #20
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Its not worth lifting a 5lug IMHO. I think only one company makes a lift for it. When you lift (which is a few hundred $$), your also gonna have to spend another couple hundred on tires. In the end you haven't saved any money.

You do know they make an I4 PreRunner Access Cab dont you? That way you get the I4 you want and the ride height you want. They only come in a 5 Speed though.