Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Does anyone offer a 3 link rear kit for the Tacoma?

Old 08-05-2010, 10:27 AM   #1
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone offer a 3 link rear kit for the Tacoma?

Does anyone offer a 3 link rear kit for the 2nd gen Tacoma? I dont want to use a fuel cell in the bed.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Considering how much fabrication you'll be dealing with to link the rear, moving the fuel tank will be the least of your concerns. You'll have to punch through the bed to fit the coilovers anyway.

What makes you want to link the rear instead of going with a SUA conversion?

How much travel do you need? Deaver offers a spring-over setup that'll cycle 13" with the right shocks.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:32 AM   #3
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
I was really looking into SUA untill I saw this photo after USA was used on the rocks...

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...k/IMG_2662.jpg

I want more travel and a more compliant rear end but reall do not want to expose the leaf springs like that. I dont want a rear end with so much trvel per se so much as just making it more complaint and not bucking at speed.

How does a current Dodge 1500 use manage to use coils in the rear and not have hole in the bed?
Old 08-06-2010, 09:51 AM   #4
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
I was really looking into SUA untill I saw this photo after USA was used on the rocks...

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...k/IMG_2662.jpg

I want more travel and a more compliant rear end but reall do not want to expose the leaf springs like that. I dont want a rear end with so much trvel per se so much as just making it more complaint and not bucking at speed.

How does a current Dodge 1500 use manage to use coils in the rear and not have hole in the bed?
The Dodge does it with short links and very little travel.

Go with the Deaver replacement leaf pack that keeps the spring over the axle and properly configured shocks and you'll be fine for what you want to do.

Btw, that picture is my truck.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:54 AM   #5
Voodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really nice

Name: Jason
Voodoo Rufus's Tacoma Gallery
I read on here Engage is working on a 4-link cantilever kit. Maybe that would work?
Old 08-06-2010, 09:54 AM   #6
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
Btw, that picture is my truck.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:55 AM   #7
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Rufus View Post
I read on here Engage is working on a 4-link cantilever kit. Maybe that would work?
i think they are working on a kit for the tundra like that, not the taco...or they were just talking about it
Old 08-06-2010, 10:20 AM   #8

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post

Hey DevL, what's you budget?

Anything is possible if you're willing to pay enough but most aren't willing to drop $5k-$10k on a rear suspension. Are you a fabricator or will you farm the work out to a professional?
Old 08-06-2010, 11:31 AM   #9
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
I cant spend more than $2500 or so on my rear suspension. Same with front. Baisically wanting some premium 1" extended coilovers up front with control arms and a rear that will match compliance and not buck or bottom out. I am not a fabricator. I have a friend who will help with lots of the mechanical install things including doing my rear end gear swap and giving me gears for free but he is not a suspension fabricator. Any welding has to be out sourced.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:50 AM   #10

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, the linked rear is definitely not for you. Coilovers alone for the rear will eat up over half of your budget. Hell, my 2 rear shocks cost more than your budget for the entire rear.

Get some 2.5" Camburg (RaceRunner Sway-A-Way) coilovers for the front, Camburg or TC uniball UCAs, All-Pro 3" lift leafs, All-Pro u-bolt flip kit, and the All-Pro Fox shocks for the rear, and gusset your spindles.

If you've got cash left over get some Light Racing jounce shocks to replace your front bumpstops. It'll ride like a dream.

At least, that's my recommendation.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:51 AM   #11
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
i think they are working on a kit for the tundra like that, not the taco...or they were just talking about it
We did a first gen taco cantilever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
I cant spend more than $2500 or so on my rear suspension. Same with front.
u would have to buy used and go mild steel... would sacrifice strength and safety...

average LT build is $4,000 up front and $5,000 rear...

or find a backyard fabricator who make u a $1200 suspension...