Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Any interest in shimms.........

Old 06-25-2008, 05:57 PM   #1
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Any interest in shimms.........

for the '05+ Tacomas? Im thinking of machineing some shims, as I have read that some people have a Truck that does not sit level from side to side. They will be made from Aluminum, and fit on top of the spring pack.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:01 PM   #2
Western Alliance
bauermike is on a distinguished road

Army: 25th Inf Div STRYKER, 10th Mountain DIV
bauermike's Tacoma Gallery
Do the Tacomas start to sag in the rear as they get older? I see it every once in a while on the road. I think it looks rediculous.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:06 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauermike View Post
Do the Tacomas start to sag in the rear as they get older? I see it every once in a while on the road. I think it looks rediculous.
Any vehicle's springs will sag over time.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:08 PM   #4
Western Alliance
bauermike is on a distinguished road

Army: 25th Inf Div STRYKER, 10th Mountain DIV
bauermike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Any vehicle's springs will sag over time.

I have seen some bad sagging though. few inches sometimes.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:42 AM   #6
Banchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud of

Name: Ron
Banchi94's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Shims? or lift blocks?

And...mount them ontop the spring pak?

I'm confused.....
I don't want to speak for chris, but I think he does mean shims. You place these in the rear under the spring pack. At least, that's what the installers did in my truck. Helps keep vibes down, too, I think.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:51 AM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banchi94 View Post
I don't want to speak for chris, but I think he does mean shims. You place these in the rear under the spring pack. At least, that's what the installers did in my truck. Helps keep vibes down, too, I think.
Shims & blocks are different.

Shims are sloped to point the pinion to a certain angle to relive driveline vibrations. - installed under the leaf springs.

Blocks wouldn't have a slope and would act like a suspension lift mounted 'underneath' the leafs.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:04 AM   #8
Banchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud of

Name: Ron
Banchi94's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Shims & blocks are different.

Shims are sloped to point the pinion to a certain angle to relive driveline vibrations. - installed under the leaf springs.

Blocks wouldn't have a slope and would act like a suspension lift mounted 'underneath' the leafs.
My bad...sorry. Just showing my inexperience for you all to know.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:21 AM   #9
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banchi94 View Post
My bad...sorry. Just showing my inexperience for you all to know.
No no ...you were right the first time. Shims get installed to help with vibrations and go under the leaf pak.

Chris mentioned for 'leveling' purposes - and that made me think he was making mini lift blocks.

Although you could have a combination lift block with a non-90degree edge on it to act as a shim. I was just wondering what he meant....
Old 06-26-2008, 07:27 AM   #10
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauermike View Post
I have seen some bad sagging though. few inches sometimes.
a lot of guys get a lil overzealous with the hauling and wind up collapsing the leafs-also you could be looking at a truck that was smakked in an accident and the BODY is what's tweeked....some crap body shops will put a pretty face on a wrecked vehicle but do nothing about releveling unless the driver piks up on it!