Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

UCA's Uniball vs. sealed ball joint

Old 08-12-2010, 04:57 PM   #1
wilsonpj is a jewel in the roughwilsonpj is a jewel in the roughwilsonpj is a jewel in the rough
Name: Pete
wilsonpj's Tacoma Gallery
UCA's Uniball vs. sealed ball joint

Not sure if this has been discussed, I searched around and found some info scattered....

I wanted to hear peoples opinions/thoughts on uniballs (like the total chaos or built right) vs a sealed ball joint (like the stock or LR uca's).

I have heard and read that the uni ball gives better movement but is also a PITA to maintain, it will make noise over time, require lubbing.... and unless you spend a good amount of time off road that a sealed ball joint is fine.

Any thoughts...?
Old 08-12-2010, 05:02 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
My TC's are quiet, and just over 3 years old. I have lubed the Uniballs only 3 times. Last I had them apart (about 4 weeks ago), they were still tight in the housing.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:09 PM   #3
wilsonpj is a jewel in the roughwilsonpj is a jewel in the roughwilsonpj is a jewel in the rough
Did you replace the bolt that holds the UCA up? I'm thinking it might be easier to order new ones then struggle to get it out.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:16 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I personally don't see a need for uniballs if you don't intend to do high speed desert runs. I will be going with sealed unit just to avoid any noise.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:19 PM   #5
Good point.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:59 PM   #6
toycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
toycar18's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Light Racing UCAs. They have a heavy duty ball joint but do not provide as much articulation as the uni-ball ones.

The LR UCAs have adjustments for caster so you can get your alignment dialed in. If not, your lifted vehicle may wander at highway speeds.

However, most Uniball UCAs have +2 degrees of caster built in so they also may correct caster but cannot be dialed in like the LR UCAs.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:31 AM   #7
Is there any info out there on how much articulation the uni-balls give over the LR UCA's?

Are we talking an inch or two difference or like 5?
Old 08-16-2010, 09:38 AM   #8
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonpj View Post
Is there any info out there on how much articulation the uni-balls give over the LR UCA's?

They give about the same.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:40 AM   #9
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I don't know an exact number to answere that question, but i'm asuming that it's probably well under 2 inches difference.

edit: chris beat me to it...with a more educated answer

on another note, i jacked up the front end of my truck a few weeks ago for a little suspension travel experiment and i found that my shock maxed out before the ball joint did (2.5 inches of lift with LR UCAs) so even if i had a uniball, it wouldn't benefit my down travel untill i get longer coilovers.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:21 PM   #10
So what's the big benefit of a uni ball style UCA if they require more maintenance and don't provide more articulation then a closed ball joint?
Old 08-16-2010, 02:35 PM   #11

Quote:
So what's the big benefit of a uni ball style UCA if they require more maintenance and don't provide more articulation then a closed ball joint?
I dont see how they require more maint. They do ofer more articulation than a ball joint, just the LR's use a different style of ball joint. The uniball is also much stronger.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:40 AM   #12
Manlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I know its been kinda answered, but I'll put it this way. The LCA stops long before the UCA bottoms out with my setup, even with the sway bar removed. (Light racing UCA, stock LCA, Camburg coil overs)

While Light Racing may or may not give less articulation than a uni-ball, unless you have a long travel LCA, you wont notice anyway.

Personally, I think with the ball joint mounted under the UCA instead of inside the UCA, overall articulation could potentially be more, or at least the same as a uni-ball, but it all depends on how the ball joint was made.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manlaan View Post
I know its been kinda answered, but I'll put it this way. The LCA stops long before the UCA bottoms out with my setup, even with the sway bar removed. (Light racing UCA, stock LCA, Camburg coil overs)

While Light Racing may or may not give less articulation than a uni-ball, unless you have a long travel LCA, you wont notice anyway.

Personally, I think with the ball joint mounted under the UCA instead of inside the UCA, overall articulation could potentially be more, or at least the same as a uni-ball, but it all depends on how the ball joint was made.
On the second gens, the UCA BJ bottoms before the LCA BJ.