Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Help me justify spending my money for a lift

Old 08-13-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
MrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: John
MrGuitarguy's Tacoma Gallery
Help me justify spending my money for a lift

I've been working and saving all summer to lift my 05 Tacoma DC 2WD Long bed 3 inches. I was pretty sure that the money would make my truck look how I wanted until I came across a thread that showed Long bed lifted Taco's. The thread showed 3',4.5', and 6' lifts. The OP made a comment about how 3' DC Long bed trucks barely looked lifted when having a 3' lift. After viewing pictures he was right. I dont do any off roading, but I did want a versatile lift; that is I like to have the option to be able to do a decent/good trail, but a 6' is too much. I have a 3k Budget, which sounds like a lot but when doing the math its barely enough (Maybe I've been looking in the wrong places?).

I've been looking at the DB long bed thread religiously, (and I dont want to offend anyone, there are beautiful Taco's there) but I only saw two Taco's that looked the way I wanted them (Sooner021, and DTacoms). I'm pretty sure they had 3' lifts. If it isnt to much to ask could you guys post DC Long beds with 3' lifts, the brands/equipment, and how much you all spent (if you all do not mind). I just want to make sure when its all done my Taco looks the way I want.
What I planned:
OME 3' lift-$700
UCA's-$500
AT 285/70/17's-$1k
Konig Countersteers-~$700
Equals ~$2,900

^ My Taco, if it helps.

TL/DR: Can you guys please post Long Bed with 3' lifts, how much you all spent, and what brands/equipment you used to lift them.

All help appreciated, and thank you in advance.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:49 PM   #2
Token
Fluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Fluffymonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Since you're a prerunner, you could go with 4'' lift spindles instead. That would eliminate the need for spending 500 on ucas. You'd still have to get rear lift options, which are relatively inexpensive, and extended brake lines and such, but you'd end up at about the same price you are now but with more lift.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:08 PM   #3
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Dependant  (Father had 24 yrs on the Eisenhower, Ordinance Officer)
Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffymonkey View Post
Since you're a prerunner, you could go with 4'' lift spindles instead. That would eliminate the need for spending 500 on ucas. You'd still have to get rear lift options, which are relatively inexpensive, and extended brake lines and such, but you'd end up at about the same price you are now but with more lift.
X2

http://www.camburg.com/?p=452
Old 08-13-2010, 08:22 PM   #4
MrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffymonkey View Post
Aren't spindles frowned upon here? Or do I thinking of the wrong thing? How do they look? Would it spindles, wheels+tires? Also what is long travel? I always read that around here.

All help appreciated.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:24 PM   #5
tbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
tbturner47's Tacoma Gallery
Spindles wheels and tires. That would be the route I would go if I was 2wd
Old 08-13-2010, 08:25 PM   #6
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGuitarguy View Post
Aren't spindles frowned upon here? Or do I thinking of the wrong thing? How do they look? Would it be OME 3' WITH spindles? or is just spindles, wheels+tires?

All help appreciated.
No actually it's the opposite. Spindles are a preferred lift for Prerunners because they keep the stock geometry (or so I've been told) and don't require new springs/shocks/UCA's. They are a great way to achieve 4 inches of lift or more, depending on how much you want. Spindles would look great on your truck. If you got the OME kit with the spindles, you'd have 7 inches of lift, which I don't think you want.

You can get just the spindles/wheels/tires and be at 4" of lift with nothing else, but then you'd need something for the rear.

As for long travel, a good thread on that can be found here:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...formation.html
Old 08-13-2010, 08:27 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post
No actually it's the opposite. Spindles are a preferred lift for Prerunners because they keep the stock geometry (or so I've been told) and don't require new springs/shocks/UCA's. They are a great way to achieve 4 inches of lift or more, depending on how much you want. Spindles would look great on your truck. If you got the OME kit with the spindles, you'd have 7 inches of lift, which I don't think you want.

You can get just the spindles/wheels/tires and be at 4" of lift with nothing else, but then you'd need something for the rear.
So for the rear would I use a OME AAL?
Old 08-13-2010, 08:29 PM   #8
tbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

You could use any AAL that would get you the right height.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:29 PM   #9
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Maximum Security Correctional Officer
CopDoctor's Tacoma Gallery
yea that would work, you should upgrade the rear shocks too, maybe just the OME shocks from toytec
Old 08-13-2010, 08:29 PM   #10
Reagan/Bush '84

Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGuitarguy View Post
So for the rear would I use a OME AAL?
You could use that I suppose (others with that actual combo can chime in) but I think an All Pro-Offroad 3" leaf pack or an OME Dakar leaf pack (3") would be a better application. Again, others with these products would be able to provide first hand experience.

A 2" AAL would be the minimum for the rear that I would go with.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:35 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post
You could use that I suppose (others with that actual combo can chime in) but I think an All Pro-Offroad 3" leaf pack or an OME Dakar leaf pack (3") would be a better application. Again, others with these products would be able to provide first hand experience.

A 2" AAL would be the minimum for the rear that I would go with.
Which one is cheaper, the All Pro, or the OME Dakar, and if 2' is minimum, whats maximum.

I forgot to mention I dont want any rake. I really do not like that look. I'd like it to be all level.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:36 PM   #12
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Maximum Security Correctional Officer
CopDoctor's Tacoma Gallery
2" lift in back will double and get you a total 4" lift, so if you're doing a 4" spindle up front you'll want 2" in back somehow, how you get there is up to you, just dont use blocks
Old 08-13-2010, 08:38 PM   #13

Do you have the rear TSB?
Old 08-13-2010, 08:45 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbturner47 View Post
Do you have the rear TSB?
Quite honestly, I dont even know what the TSB entails. To be honest I'm missing of the leaf's in my pack. I didn't think it was a big deal since I plan on overhauling my whole suspension; thus this thread. I saved my truck from domestic disputes. I'll post the story when I actually lift the truck.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:58 PM   #15

4 leafs in the back equals TSB, but chances are you don't have them.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:06 PM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbturner47 View Post
4 leafs in the back equals TSB, but chances are you don't have them.
Oh. I have two leaf's in the the bracket, and one leaf that's half as long and is not in the bracket. By way this is the first time working on a car, and I'm the only one in my family who has ever modded a truck. So excuse my ignorance.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:55 PM   #17
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
personally, i would go w/ the following:

front:
camburg 4" spindles - 900 (10% w/ TW discount)
5100's - 180 (sonny - downsouthmotorsports.com)

rear:
OME dakar leafs - ~450 shipped w/ OEM bushings from TRDparts4u.com
OME nitrocharger rear shocks - 180

(all prices are way off the top of my head, so may be more/less, but it gives you the rang)

you will also need ext brake lines f/r, which you can get from a guy here for under 100 for all 4.

also, concerning tires, price your tires at onlinetires.com, then have america's tire pricematch them..i did this and saved 175 on my nitto TGs..it was almost like getting the 4th tire free!!
Old 08-14-2010, 12:40 AM   #18
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with the 4" or even a 6". The "problem" with the DCLBs is that a 3" lift isn't near as impressive (looks wise) on that long of a truck. A 3" on a regular cab looks pretty big, whereas a 3" on mine (Access cab) is just noticeable from stock, and IMO a 3" on a DCLB still looks like stock height as far as the tires/height in proportion to the body.

It's like those guys with DCLB full-size trucks, anything less than a 6-8" lift is barely detectable and 35" tires look tiny, but a Suzuki Samurai on 35" tires looks like a little monster truck.

When looks are the main goal, proportionate (tire size to body size) is the goal IMO; and you need a big enough lift to fit those proportionate tires.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:38 AM   #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdeserted View Post
I agree with the 4" or even a 6". The "problem" with the DCLBs is that a 3" lift isn't near as impressive (looks wise) on that long of a truck. A 3" on a regular cab looks pretty big, whereas a 3" on mine (Access cab) is just noticeable from stock, and IMO a 3" on a DCLB still looks like stock height as far as the tires/height in proportion to the body.

It's like those guys with DCLB full-size trucks, anything less than a 6-8" lift is barely detectable and 35" tires look tiny, but a Suzuki Samurai on 35" tires looks like a little monster truck.

When looks are the main goal, proportionate (tire size to body size) is the goal IMO; and you need a big enough lift to fit those proportionate tires.
I agree, but 6' is just to much height and money for me. I'm 5'5'. I'm already jumping in the truck at stock height haha. 4' spindles it is, with 2' AAL's. 285' tiress might not look big enough, but these trucks are not economical as it is, and the big tires doesnt help. That's why I'm somewhat limited to what I want to do.
Does anyone have any 4' LT DCLB Taco's to post?