Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

lift is finished! suggestions?

Old 08-13-2010, 09:23 PM   #1
tacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacosupreme54's Tacoma Gallery
lift is finished! suggestions?

when i first got this truck about 5 months ago, i couldn't be more happy or content with it...about 2 months after getting it, i became a member of this site. convinced that my truck was unworthy and ugly, i started tinkering with the truck and looking into things. something i had always wanted to do was lift my truck! every truck i had ever had, i could just picture how great it looked and envied trucks like it that were lifted. well, with the influence of you guys, i finally took the leap and got a lift. i initially wanted a 6" lift, but then after researching it like crazy on here and other places, i saw the reality that it was impractical, could harm my truck, and shorten its life of being useful (no offense to any 6" lift guys). but i ended up doing a 3" lift in 2 stages because of my lack of funds. first with 2.5" spacers on the front. you can dog me out for getting them, but the reality is that i don't offroad unless i have to, i like to take care of this truck. so the spacers gave the lift i wanted at a great price. they are merely for looks. maybe one day when i get it paid off, i will get some better suspension stuff, but for now, it works. i drove around with the front lifted for about a month and just recently got the 2" AAL for the back installed.

it's amazing how just a 3" lift can change the look of a truck. i can't help but turn around and look at it when i get out. i plan on doing other upgrades soon such as tires and wheels. i still have plenty of life on these 265/75 duratracs and they surprisingly don't look small at all or make the fender wells look bare. i've got several thousands more miles to decide what to get on my next set, these really look good, but knowing that i can fit a 285/75 in there still makes me unsure. my next purchase will be wheels. i am looking at pro comp 7089's right now because i have a black and white theme to my truck. i also like that the backspacing will push my tires out farther to make them look a little larger. i have also looked into some plain flat black steel wheels. i don't like anything shiny.

if you have any input on/or experience with my 265 or 285 decision, let me know. if you have anything to say about the pro comp 7089's or a wheel suggestion, give me your input. like i said, i'm going for a black and white look, i've already painted all the badges flat black and will be ordering the black TRD Off Road sockmonkey bed decals soon. i don't really wanna go all crazy with the black and white look, but any suggestions are accepted. thanks to anyone that actually read all this, lol.

before and after pics.
Attached Thumbnails
lift is finished! suggestions?-15298_395836463081_829338081_5181907_2772252_n.jpg   lift is finished! suggestions?-100_0557.jpg  
Old 08-13-2010, 09:32 PM   #2
GA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GA_TACO4x4's Tacoma Gallery
truck looks good. im actually surprised how full the wheel wells look with 265's. i wouldnt go too overboard with the black, maybe just the black head lights black grillecraft/satoshi and tinted windows. i used to want black wheels too, but the more and more i look at the trd or wheels look best on non lifted to slightly lifted trucks. excellent looking truck though
Old 08-13-2010, 09:38 PM   #3
tacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA_TACO4x4 View Post
truck looks good. im actually surprised how full the wheel wells look with 265's. i wouldnt go too overboard with the black, maybe just the black head lights black grillecraft/satoshi and tinted windows. i used to want black wheels too, but the more and more i look at the trd or wheels look best on non lifted to slightly lifted trucks. excellent looking truck though
yeah, i've thought about the headlights but still not sure. and i'm def at least matching the front and rear window tint. i'm not too crazy about the satoshi grille. looks good, but don't suit me. and are you talking about like the gunmetal FJ type wheels? if so, i agree, those look good. and thanks man.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:46 PM   #4
GA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GA_TACO4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosupreme54 View Post
are you talking about like the gunmetal FJ type wheels? if so, i agree, those look good. and thanks man.
well yes and no. lol. i was referring to the stock tacoma wheels like u have...but those fj wheels are sweet too i think theyd look sick on ur truck as well
Old 08-13-2010, 09:46 PM   #5
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
congrats on the lift! stick with the 265's
Old 08-13-2010, 09:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
Looks good...........once you ride in a truck with a nice front setup.....you will ditch the spacers.
probably true, i'll probably avoid riding in a truck with something nice up front so i don't have the urge to get something better. but the spacers are just for the aesthetics of a higher truck for now. and the ride really isn't bad at all. i know they say nicer stuff rides like factory, but these are pretty good too. i just hit speed bumps and potholes a little slower now, lol.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA_TACO4x4 View Post
well yes and no. lol. i was referring to the stock tacoma wheels like u have...but those fj wheels are sweet too i think theyd look sick on ur truck as well
ah, yeah. well i don't have a problem at all with how the ones i have look at all now. they are even fine with not being black. but i know if i want 285's in the future, i'll need a wider wheel bc i don't want to fool with wheel spacers. so since i know i will probably get 285's next time (just because i know i can now ), i'm gonna get new wheels, and black would suit my taco better than chrome.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:17 PM   #9

anybody running a 3" lift with stock UCA's? i have heard some advice to get some aftermarket ones and have had advice saying that it's fine as it is; not necessary. if i don't NEED them, i'm not blowing another several hundred bucks. but if it's going to damage my truck without better ones, i will.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:41 PM   #10
JudeLeBlanc is on a distinguished road
JudeLeBlanc's Tacoma Gallery
if your alignment is right then you dont need ucas
btw you dont need a wider wheel to fit a 285 you need a wheel with more back spacing
Old 10-12-2010, 07:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudeLeBlanc View Post
if your alignment is right then you dont need ucas
btw you dont need a wider wheel to fit a 285 you need a wheel with more back spacing
it's all good bro. since this thread has died, i ordered some pro comp 7089s and just got them put on this afternoon