Notices

So Stupid !!! lift issue 3" OME

Old 08-14-2010, 01:18 PM   #1
MAtrdguy is on a distinguished road

Army: 101st Airborne Div
Name: Pete
MAtrdguy's Tacoma Gallery
So Stupid !!! lift issue 3" OME

Well I read all the threads on here ( or as many as I could)...I attempted to instal a 3 " lift today ( OME shocks and 885 coils)....I could NOT do it. I have done this on 2 tundras and 1 other 00 Taco...

I could not get the LCA down far enough to get the shock bottom in there...

what is the 'magic ' for geting that control arm down. also I read the instructionas on here and the toytec website.....

WHAT is the best / easiest way to do this.

By the way..ti only took 20 min to re a semble ...I was cussing the whole time...someone cchime in please....

BTW I broke the one of the sway bar bolts..what is the fix for that...no way to get at it thru the frame. Helicoil ???

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated...I want to get it done...
Old 08-14-2010, 01:51 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Loosen the 2 bolts on the lower control arm, on the sides of the lower ball joint.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:53 PM   #3
mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy
FlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
FlawedXJ's Tacoma Gallery
If you got a friend helping you, have them push down on the lower arm to get that extra room to push the shock into place. Thats what I had to do on the lifts i've done.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:05 PM   #4

I took the bolts out on the LBJ and STILL couldnt get it down far enough....

I followed Toy Tecs directions to the letter. and having done this before i had some experience

WTF !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-14-2010, 02:11 PM   #6
Hillbilly Zombi is a glorious beacon of lightHillbilly Zombi is a glorious beacon of lightHillbilly Zombi is a glorious beacon of lightHillbilly Zombi is a glorious beacon of lightHillbilly Zombi is a glorious beacon of light

Hillbilly Zombi's Tacoma Gallery
Ive found that having the whole front jacked up(not just one side) releases some tension. That is of course you are not already doing this. If not try putting jack stands on each side of the front on the frame. For some reason it helps me stretch things about. Anyone else.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:13 PM   #7

I still cant understand how pople are doing it by themselves.( If it takes two people to push down the LCA/ LBJ )

ALso....is the top plate on the OME a 1/2 " or 1/4 " spacer. I dont want to go TOO tall....

The OME shocks I have are the older version ( in case that matters)
Old 08-14-2010, 04:30 PM   #8
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Its kind of a 2 person job to do IMO. You really need another person prying the LCA down from my experience of installing the lifts. I've got an OME, and I've had it on and off a couple times, and I installed one on a members truck as well. Each time an extra hand was necessary to install it.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:34 PM   #9
6 Double 5 3 2 1
thebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ken....
thebigk's Tacoma Gallery
I used my foot to push it down and my helper slid the assembly in.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:48 PM   #10
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Disconnect the sway bar, then take your bottle jack, put it between the upper control arm and the fender well. It shouldn't take a lot of force to push it down with the jack. I did this on my buddy's 4 runner when I was installing his OME lift and it worked great. Make sure you put it in there upside down so the base of the jack is up against the fender and the small part is right on your UCA on top of the ball joint.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:59 PM   #11
05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
05tacoSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
6foot bar worked for me and another set of hands
Old 08-14-2010, 05:10 PM   #12
Liberty is on a distinguished road

Name: Frank
Liberty's Tacoma Gallery
defiantly disconnect the sway bar...did that on my buddy's Dodge after fussing with it for about 45min, made a world of a difference. We also used a car jack to push the LCA down like macgyver said. Be careful and be patient...I know its frustrating. Goodluck bud
Old 08-15-2010, 01:12 PM   #13

yeah I'm gonna try the bar 1st....have to find someone to help me...
Old 08-15-2010, 01:44 PM   #14
johnny12345 is a splendid one to beholdjohnny12345 is a splendid one to beholdjohnny12345 is a splendid one to beholdjohnny12345 is a splendid one to beholdjohnny12345 is a splendid one to beholdjohnny12345 is a splendid one to beholdjohnny12345 is a splendid one to behold
johnny12345's Tacoma Gallery
I did it myself, was'nt too bad. I had the front end on jack stands (as previously mentioned) and I pushed down the LCA with my foot and got the shock somewhat in there and then tapped it in with a hammer and a wooden block. I also had the sway bar off as well.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:19 PM   #15

how did you get it around the tie rod/ cv joints...you just move them out of the way ?

did anyone disconect the tie rod ?
Old 08-15-2010, 03:21 PM   #16
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05tacoSPORT View Post
6foot bar worked for me and another set of hands
x2
Old 08-15-2010, 04:01 PM   #17
Rich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
Rich Beauregard's Tacoma Gallery
You must have both sides of your truck lifted up and then disconnect the anti-sway bar from both sides. I just did this same thing on Tuesday for a friend. Here are some photos:
Old 08-15-2010, 04:03 PM   #18
Rich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
Note: You have to disconnect the sway bar on both sides and push it down out of the way so you have clearance to remove/install the strut AND loosen the upper control arm bolt 3/4" so you can lift it up out of the way. Just in case anyone notices the wire hanging, It was snapped by the last guy that worked on the truck, so I soildered it and put 3 layers of shrink wrap on it.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:13 PM   #19
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
Be carefull of the brake line and antilock wires when you are stretching the arms.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:15 PM   #20
Navy:
When I put this in, there was still about 1to1-1/2" to spare so I did not have to push down on the lower control arm. This was the OME885 springs with OME Struts.