1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Taco wont align after 5100 opinions?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by markc6606, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Aug 15, 2010 at 4:46 AM
    markc6606

markc6606 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoFlo
    Vehicle:
    '13 Off-Road
    Hi all posted on this issue before but now have more info. Was having trouble getting caster numbers up after 5100 install set at 1.75. The best my guy could get is 1.4 caster .7 camber 0 toe .
    truck drives straight like this but is darty and drifts on highway. Took it back to give it another shot and found something while on rack.The right side eccentric on the lower control arm is out of adjustment. bolt is pegged all the way to the outside.
    Onthe left he has plenty of room to crank up the caster but then cant match with the other wheel. Jeff has been doing this a long time he said he thinks during assembly at toyota either something was bent or not fab up straight on their frame jig.
    I;m close to same numbers on both sides and he says truck should be more symmetrical than this.Whento a buddie at another shop and he saw the same thing.
    Went to toyota and you know where that went, NOWHERE. Knew what they'd say. "It's in spec, plus you altered by adding 5100's not a warranty issue anymore"
    Truck is a 2010 Sport with 4000 miles on it. Bullshit! I like the billy's the way they are.
    Any thoughts or opinions? anyone run into something like this? would new uca's give me more adjustment even though I'd rather not have to buy them for a truck that was lifted literally 1 1/4 inches and it could be toyotas fault that it wont line up anyway.
    Whew! long post huh?

2. Aug 15, 2010 at 9:26 AM
    toycar18

toycar18 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    98 Reg Cab 2.7L
    OME Suspension, BFG 33x10.50 AT, Light Racing Upper Control Arms, Rear ARB Air Locker, LCE Header, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, K&N Intake
    When you lift a vehicle caster will be low.

The only way to increase caster is to replace the Upper Control Arms.

1.4 Caster is probably within the specs but raising it to 2-2.4 will help with the wandering.

I have a 98 and went with Light Racing UCAs. They have a factory type ball joint and have adjustments for caster so it will align.

Read my post about the LR UCAs:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/97809-light-racing-ucas-first-gen.html

You can also go with a Uni-Ball UCA which usually has +2 degrees of Caster built in but no additional adjustments like the LR UCA to fine tune the caster.

Larger tires can also contribute to wandering at highway speeds. The low caster usually the biggest cause of wandering.

3. Aug 15, 2010 at 9:27 AM
    Seabass

Seabass Give it to me. I'll break it for you

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap

4. Aug 15, 2010 at 9:33 AM
    fsbrain03

fsbrain03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I bought sme new UCA's and waiting for them to get here so I can install them. I am hoping they will fix my problems.

5. Aug 15, 2010 at 9:36 AM
    Rustyota

Rustyota well.....

Member:
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 DC long bed
    debadged, rear spring TSB, leveled with Bilstein 5100s at 1.75", Goodyear Duratrac 265/75/r16, Leer shell with Yakima rack
    ^^^What they said. I have the same setup as you, and the same issues. The wandering is not too bad for me, and I'm very used to it now. Someday, maybe the UCAs, but not yet.

Products Discussed in

To Top