Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Taco wont align after 5100 opinions?

Old 08-15-2010, 04:46 AM   #1
markc6606 is on a distinguished road
markc6606's Tacoma Gallery
Taco wont align after 5100 opinions?

Hi all posted on this issue before but now have more info. Was having trouble getting caster numbers up after 5100 install set at 1.75. The best my guy could get is 1.4 caster .7 camber 0 toe .
truck drives straight like this but is darty and drifts on highway. Took it back to give it another shot and found something while on rack.The right side eccentric on the lower control arm is out of adjustment. bolt is pegged all the way to the outside.
Onthe left he has plenty of room to crank up the caster but then cant match with the other wheel. Jeff has been doing this a long time he said he thinks during assembly at toyota either something was bent or not fab up straight on their frame jig.
I;m close to same numbers on both sides and he says truck should be more symmetrical than this.Whento a buddie at another shop and he saw the same thing.
Went to toyota and you know where that went, NOWHERE. Knew what they'd say. "It's in spec, plus you altered by adding 5100's not a warranty issue anymore"
Truck is a 2010 Sport with 4000 miles on it. Bullshit! I like the billy's the way they are.
Any thoughts or opinions? anyone run into something like this? would new uca's give me more adjustment even though I'd rather not have to buy them for a truck that was lifted literally 1 1/4 inches and it could be toyotas fault that it wont line up anyway.
Whew! long post huh?
Old 08-15-2010, 09:26 AM   #2
toycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
toycar18's Tacoma Gallery
When you lift a vehicle caster will be low.

The only way to increase caster is to replace the Upper Control Arms.

1.4 Caster is probably within the specs but raising it to 2-2.4 will help with the wandering.

I have a 98 and went with Light Racing UCAs. They have a factory type ball joint and have adjustments for caster so it will align.

Read my post about the LR UCAs:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...first-gen.html

You can also go with a Uni-Ball UCA which usually has +2 degrees of Caster built in but no additional adjustments like the LR UCA to fine tune the caster.

Larger tires can also contribute to wandering at highway speeds. The low caster usually the biggest cause of wandering.

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72
Old 08-15-2010, 09:27 AM   #3
I need to go return some videotapes...
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bloodshart
Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
[quote=toycar18;2065907]When you lift a vehicle caster will be low.

The only way to increase caster is to replace the Upper Control Arms.

1.4 Caster is probably within the specs but raising it to 2-2.4 will help with the wandering.

I have a 98 and went with Light Racing UCAs. They have a factory type ball joint and have adjustments for caster so it will align.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...first-gen.html

You can also go with a Uni-Ball UCA which usually has +2 degrees of Caster built in.

Larger tires can also contribute to wandering at highway speeds. The low caster usually the biggest cause of wandering.

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...=72[/quote]

x2

Perfectly put.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:33 AM   #4
fsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

fsbrain03's Tacoma Gallery
I bought sme new UCA's and waiting for them to get here so I can install them. I am hoping they will fix my problems.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:36 AM   #5
well.....
Rustyota has a spectacular aura aboutRustyota has a spectacular aura aboutRustyota has a spectacular aura about

Rustyota's Tacoma Gallery
^^^What they said. I have the same setup as you, and the same issues. The wandering is not too bad for me, and I'm very used to it now. Someday, maybe the UCAs, but not yet.