Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Brief How To: Stock Rear Bumps On Flip Kit

Old 08-15-2010, 10:17 PM   #1
How many words can be fit in this s
jdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
jdkeller's Tacoma Gallery
Brief How To: Stock Rear Bumps On Flip Kit

So after selling my Timbrens I was running with no bumps for a while. I decided to mount the stock ones back on my u-bolt flip kit. To do this you will need to have the pre-threaded holes in your top plates already. Some do not come with them. This wasn't hard at all to do. Just wanted to let you guys know it can be done. It's a nice alternative for the people that don't want to run the Timbrens.

Tools needed:
grinder
drill with 3/8" bit
the hardware in the picture below
basic socket set

1. The holes in the flip kit are 3/8". Go to Home Depot or wherever and buy 4 of these:

and 3 packages of these. They come in packets of 3 and you need 8.

2. Take off the u-bolt flip kit assembly if it's on the truck. Take the top plates and hold the stock bumps on the holes. Mark from underneath where the two hole are that you need to drill. There are two per top plate/bump stop. Using a 3/8" drill bit, drill out the holes.

3. Then using a grinder you must notch the bump stops. This is to allow the washers from the u-bolts to fit.

It should look like this:
Before:

After:

4. Like in the above picture, use 2 locking washers per bolt. The bolts are 3/4" long and with the 2 washers and the bolt all the way tight, the end of the bolt sits flush with the underside of the top plates. Tighten those on the top plate.

5. Finally, set the plates on your leafs, put the u-bolts through and mount them up.

Here are my afters:

Sorry for the terrible pictures. I was using my cell phone. I did all of this without jacking up the truck and taking the wheels off. It's unneccesary. I am not at fault for anyone who tries this and fails or messes their truck up!

If anyone in socal wants help I am willing. Just bring food and beer. I'm in 92336.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:45 PM   #2
Another Toyota Enthusiast
toyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
toyo freak's Tacoma Gallery
Nice!
Old 08-17-2010, 05:13 PM   #4
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
very good job
Old 08-17-2010, 11:40 PM   #6
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
I had to do this too, cut mine a little different but same idea. It's kinda BS they expect you to buy Timbrens with their flip kit...but it does really clean up the axle and eliminate alot of hangup; it's worth a little trimming.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:05 AM   #7
jdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

You could always buy some fox or king air bumps. Lol

But yea I agree. The timbrens are really good for trail stuff and 4x4 stuff. But if your driving and hit a big dip or like to go out in the desert they aren't that great.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:28 PM   #9
Tundra FTMFW
csuviper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsuviper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsuviper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsuviper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsuviper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsuviper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsuviper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsuviper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsuviper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsuviper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsuviper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
csuviper's Tacoma Gallery
I reused the stock bump stops but realized after I installed them that they are way too short. I have the Fabtec 6" lift with Alcan 6" springs in the back. The shock fully compresses before the bump stop hits. I need to add spacers under or get new ones before I do anything crazy that could blow the shocks.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by csuviper View Post
I reused the stock bump stops but realized after I installed them that they are way too short. I have the Fabtec 6" lift with Alcan 6" springs in the back. The shock fully compresses before the bump stop hits. I need to add spacers under or get new ones before I do anything crazy that could blow the shocks.
How much taller do you need to go?
Old 02-01-2011, 07:10 PM   #11
Tundra FTMFW
csuviper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsuviper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsuviper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsuviper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsuviper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsuviper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsuviper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsuviper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsuviper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsuviper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsuviper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
csuviper's Tacoma Gallery
I will have to check but I believe it was around 3 inches.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #12
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
great thread. i'll be doing this this weekend. thanks
Old 07-28-2012, 11:53 PM   #14
Just think outside the Yota
CayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
CayucosTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
So i buying these soon and plan on following your write up. What im confused about it how the bolts attach to the Top plate. Is there a nut of the opposite end?

Anyways thanks for the write up. +1 for you
Old 07-29-2012, 12:10 AM   #15
CayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Well I just re read it, so the bolt sits flush? Even if my top plate doesn't come pre drilled for bumpstops?
Old 08-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CayucosTacoma View Post
So i buying these soon and plan on following your write up. What im confused about it how the bolts attach to the Top plate. Is there a nut of the opposite end?

Anyways thanks for the write up. +1 for you
Quote:
Originally Posted by CayucosTacoma View Post
Well I just re read it, so the bolt sits flush? Even if my top plate doesn't come pre drilled for bumpstops?
Sorry for not getting back to you. I am not on here as much these days. This will work only if you get the plates that come with the threaded holes. If you do not have the holes you will have to drill and tap your own. Make sense?
Old 08-07-2012, 01:52 PM   #17

Alright ill think if something since mine didn't have them
Old 08-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #18

Do you think if i drilled 2 holes through the top plate so that the sat parallel with the leaf pack that would work? without messing up the structural integrity of the top plate?
Old 08-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
You mean two holes like how some top plates come? Just copy mine. The holes don't even have to be that big. Just make sure you tap them.
I dont have a way to tap them though..