Notices

What Suspension / Lift Do I Have?

Old 08-17-2010, 01:12 PM   #1
My Other Truck is an Engine
LtHixson is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Lieutenant
Name: Matt
LtHixson's Tacoma Gallery
Red face What Suspension / Lift Do I Have?

Not only am I new to the Tacoma World forums, this is my first Toyota AND my first pickup, so please take that into consideration when answering.

I bought the truck almost a year ago, and haven't changed anything. It looks like this:

And like this:

Okay...I like the height that it is. People have asked me how high the lift kit is on it, and I have no idea. My goal with this post is for you to tell me what I have, and then take advice on how to improve it. Here are some pics of the current suspension:

View of suspension from behind front right tire, looking towards the front. Front wheel turned all the way to the left.

Same view, just from a little higher.

View from in front of front right tire, looking towards rear of truck. Wheel turned all the way to the right.

Same view, just from a little higher.

View from in front of right rear tire, looking towards rear of truck. Please ignore the inner-tube in the leaf spring, which I will do right later.

View from behind right rear tire looking towards front of truck.

Okay, so I guess that's it. I'd like to know what I have, and take suggestions for how to improve it while maintaining the height. Thanks!
Old 08-17-2010, 01:14 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance
tarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
tarheelfan_08's Tacoma Gallery
One with some rust.... had to do it! Good luck with an answer, I look forward to seeing this!
Old 08-17-2010, 01:14 PM   #4
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
You have a block in the rear and spacers up front.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:14 PM   #5
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
about 3" spacers up front and ~2" blocks on the rear.

edit: Im too slow!
Old 08-17-2010, 01:15 PM   #6
if you have to ask, u can't afford it
tacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ray
tacobo670's Tacoma Gallery
it looks like u got just a basic 3" spacer lift in the front and a block lift in the back. it lifts a little and levels the truck's rake out. make sure u got front diff drop spacers so as not to damage/tear the cv boots.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:16 PM   #7
Wiskey Tango Foxtrot....
bwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Corporal MACS-2
Name: Ben
bwood_usmc's Tacoma Gallery
You have a spacer lift..... What kind, who knows
Old 08-17-2010, 01:16 PM   #8
Yes, I got boost
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Looks to me like an add a leaf in the back and blocks up front considering everything looks stock. I am no genius on this stuff though I will admit.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:17 PM   #9
Hillbilly Zombi is a glorious beacon of lightHillbilly Zombi is a glorious beacon of lightHillbilly Zombi is a glorious beacon of lightHillbilly Zombi is a glorious beacon of lightHillbilly Zombi is a glorious beacon of light

Hillbilly Zombi's Tacoma Gallery
Id say a 2" spacer lift up front with blocks in the back
Old 08-17-2010, 01:21 PM   #10
Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacobo670 View Post
it looks like u got just a basic 3" spacer lift in the front and a block lift in the back. it lifts a little and levels the truck's rake out. make sure u got front diff drop spacers so as not to damage/tear the cv boots.
Okay, cool. So...what's the best way to go about maintaining the height and improving the ride. I've read a lot of posts but don't really understand a lot of them.

I am NOT a serious off-roader, although I will occasionally go for fun. Like I said, This is my first truck. The worst I usually get into are some rough dirt roads.

It squeaks pretty bad (hence the poorly-installed inner-tubes). I guess I'm looking for a highway ride that I can occasionally take off road and have some "Easy Trail" fun.

Thanks again for the quick responses!
Old 08-17-2010, 01:24 PM   #11
Watching Chris4x4 o.O
borderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Navy: Leading seaman, Electrical Technician, CFFS(E), Pacific Fleet
Name: Jeremy
borderbrat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtHixson View Post
Okay, cool. So...what's the best way to go about maintaining the height and improving the ride. I've read a lot of posts but don't really understand a lot of them.

I am NOT a serious off-roader, although I will occasionally go for fun. Like I said, This is my first truck. The worst I usually get into are some rough dirt roads.

It squeaks pretty bad (hence the poorly-installed inner-tubes). I guess I'm looking for a highway ride that I can occasionally take off road and have some "Easy Trail" fun.

Thanks again for the quick responses!
get rid of the blocks and spacers and get some some new leafs or add a leaf for the back and get something new in the front, bilstein 5100s or OME shocks and coils. This will improve your ride and reduce the eventual sag you will get.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:26 PM   #12
Hillbilly Zombi is a glorious beacon of lightHillbilly Zombi is a glorious beacon of lightHillbilly Zombi is a glorious beacon of lightHillbilly Zombi is a glorious beacon of lightHillbilly Zombi is a glorious beacon of light

Hillbilly Zombi's Tacoma Gallery
the best price wise would have to be billy 5100's front and rear with a 1.5" aal. You will get 2.5" of lift with the front 5100's and a stock coil but you could get an OME coil with OME front shocks with about the same lift. Prolly a better ride than spacers and no more squeaks. Check toyteclifts.com out. Or give downsouthmotorsports a call.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:44 PM   #13
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by borderbrat View Post
get rid of the blocks and spacers and get some some new leafs or add a leaf for the back and get something new in the front, bilstein 5100s or OME shocks and coils. This will improve your ride and reduce the eventual sag you will get.
X2.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:58 PM   #14
Smile

Outstanding! This is EXACTLY the info I was looking for.

Thank you all for your time & expertise.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:15 PM   #15
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Outstanding! This is EXACTLY the info I was looking for.

Thank you all for your time & expertise.
No problem!! Let us know if you have any more questions!!
Old 08-17-2010, 07:20 PM   #16
quattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bruce
quattrokiwi's Tacoma Gallery
Whats the oil sprayed around on the front right side from, looks to me like the shock blew as your CV boots on that side look OK
Old 08-17-2010, 10:14 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrokiwi View Post
Whats the oil sprayed around on the front right side from, looks to me like the shock blew as your CV boots on that side look OK
That reminds me of a joke about a penguin and a Klondike bar...but I digress...

I had an issue with the suspension on that side about 4 months ago, which has been fixed. I don't know if it would still be stained because of that or not. I don't notice any kind of problem with the handling or anything, and the suspension seems equal on both sides.

Could it be something else, or do you think a stain from a few months ago could still be there?

Man...rust, oil stains...maybe I should just go get a new one!
Old 08-17-2010, 10:39 PM   #18
stmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jimmy
stmpjmpr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
Looks to me like an add a leaf in the back and blocks up front considering everything looks stock. I am no genius on this stuff though I will admit.

yes you are right. you're not a genius..Its spacer front. block rear.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:13 PM   #19
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmpjmpr View Post
yes you are right. you're not a genius..Its spacer front. block rear.
Definitely. You have a 2" leveling coil spacer in the front (not sure what brand makes black, maybe spraypainted..?), and a 1" block in the rear (I got the same one from Toytec a while back, but they all look the same).

So next time you get asked, your answer will be: "2" coil spacer front, 1" block rear"

Also, I'm guessing the previous owner ran 33" tires on there at some point and they rubbed, hence the paint worn off your upper-control-arm (UCA).
Old 08-18-2010, 02:34 PM   #20
quattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bruce
quattrokiwi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That reminds me of a joke about a penguin and a Klondike bar...but I digress...

I had an issue with the suspension on that side about 4 months ago, which has been fixed. I don't know if it would still be stained because of that or not. I don't notice any kind of problem with the handling or anything, and the suspension seems equal on both sides.

Could it be something else, or do you think a stain from a few months ago could still be there?

Man...rust, oil stains...maybe I should just go get a new one!
Yes I would think the oil stains would last that long