Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

small lift/daily driver

Old 08-17-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
Taco PFF is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Firefighter
Taco PFF's Tacoma Gallery
small lift/daily driver

I'm looking for ideas for a small lift for a 1999 2.7 tacoma Reg. cab. I'm looking for cheap, easy to install and I want to run 31's or 32's. I'm not too worried about quality of ride but I want to keep my gas mileage as this is my daily driver. Also I've got stock 15x7 wheels right now and does anyone have pics of what they look like painted black? and what kind of paint to use on them?
Old 08-17-2010, 02:52 PM   #2
Firefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Josh
Firefighter160's Tacoma Gallery
Cheap and easy to install would be a top plate spacer and a block, but if you plan on keeping your truck for a while you should get a set of Old Man Emu springs or bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks for the front and an add a leaf for the rear. Your front springs and shocks are over 10 years old any way so why not replace them and get the lift with the same part...
Old 08-17-2010, 03:10 PM   #3
TacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jackson
TacomaJack09's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same truck. I got the 5 leaf pack from wheelers offroad because my leafs were shot, i'm sure yours are the same. I could have went with an AAL but with a old leaf pack its not going to give you the correct lift. I have bilsteins all around, and I'm still running with factory coils. I believe I have 1.5" - 2" of lift. Eventually, I would like to get the OME coils. My gas mileage has not dropped noticeably. It rides way better, and is much safer to drive. All of it was easy to install, this forum has some great write-ups!
Old 08-18-2010, 07:39 AM   #4
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
You can run 31's with your stock suspension, I had them on my old 98 taco. I think think they where 31x10.5x15s.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:02 PM   #5
The Happy Idiot is on a distinguished road

The Happy Idiot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaJack09 View Post
I have the same truck. I got the 5 leaf pack from wheelers offroad because my leafs were shot, i'm sure yours are the same. I could have went with an AAL but with a old leaf pack its not going to give you the correct lift. I have bilsteins all around, and I'm still running with factory coils. I believe I have 1.5" - 2" of lift. Eventually, I would like to get the OME coils. My gas mileage has not dropped noticeably. It rides way better, and is much safer to drive. All of it was easy to install, this forum has some great write-ups!
Hey, I'm looking to do the same to my '01. I was planning on going with the Rough Country's and new coil overs up front. I've never replaced leaf springs but I'm sure I can make it work. Any problems installing yours or other tips??
Old 08-20-2010, 06:54 AM   #6
TacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jackson
TacomaJack09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Happy Idiot View Post
Hey, I'm looking to do the same to my '01. I was planning on going with the Rough Country's and new coil overs up front. I've never replaced leaf springs but I'm sure I can make it work. Any problems installing yours or other tips??

If you have air tools and a breaker bar it will be a breeze, make sure you have a whiz wheel because some of the bolts were seized on mine and the quickest easiest way was to just cut it off, oh yea and make sure you bought replacement bolts .

Also, the shackles are like a chain link, you have to unbolt both nuts to get the shackle off. I almost made the mistake of cutting those bolts off because I thought the were seized but once I unbolted the other nut, it came out easy.

Use anti-seize on the new bolts that hold the leaf pack to the truck and shackle, and thread lock on all bolts. After installation drive a 100 or so miles and re-check your work. Make sure the bolts are still tight.

If you search the forums, there are some really good write ups with pictures on how to do it.

Good Luck!