Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Want to firm up my suspension a bit

Old 08-18-2010, 09:22 AM   #1
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Want to firm up my suspension a bit

I bought a 4X4 truck because I use my 4X4. I don't go wheeling or mudding but I do have to deal with a lot of snow in upstate NY and have a lot of land to take care of. Where I'm going with this is I would like to firm up my suspension a bit for less body roll and better performance in turns while keeping the stock suspension height.

Any ideas?
Old 08-18-2010, 09:30 AM   #2
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
I'm sure you could put some 5100's all around and it would feel stiffer. And maybe a stiffer set of coils on the front.

I'd start with that unless someone else has other ides.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:35 AM   #3
FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...
SlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SlurpeeBlueMetallic's Tacoma Gallery
Keeping the stock height may be a bit of a challenge, unless the body roll you're experiencing is more on the front end.

When I first got my truck I wasn't pleased with the amount of body roll I experienced going around corners and over bumps. Rear TSB springs took care of the back end but that left the front feeling like I was rolling over mashed potatoes every time I went over a bump at any angle other than 90 degrees.

Adding 5100s to the stock springs up front eliminated most of the "squish". I've never run them at 0" (started at 1.75" and didn't like the look so I dropped to 0.85") so I can't speak for how they ride without at least a little lift. Overall, 5100s are a pretty cheap alternative to firming up the ride quite a bit. If you don't qualify for the Rear Spring TSB then adding 5100s to the back would likely have the same effect.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:38 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Stiff sway bar? I've never used them but see them for sale and they advertise less body roll.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:20 AM   #5
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Yea I was thinking 5100s but was looking for a coils and shock options.

Never heard of a stiff sway bar?
Old 08-18-2010, 10:43 AM   #6
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Are Timbrens airbags or what? I never really understood what they are or do.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:47 AM   #7
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Too bad you couldn't get your hands on some Eibachs and 5100's...
Old 08-18-2010, 10:48 AM   #8
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNYTACOMA View Post
Too bad you couldn't get your hands on some Eibachs and 5100's...
. I just don't want to lift it. If you want them you can have them.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:04 AM   #9
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumNutz View Post
Yea I was thinking 5100s but was looking for a coils and shock options.

Never heard of a stiff sway bar?
http://www.hellwigproducts.com/

They're supposed to reduce 'roll' in corners. I don't know much about them personally, but when I read what your problem was, this was the first thing that came to mind.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:12 AM   #10
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumNutz View Post
. I just don't want to lift it. If you want them you can have them.
Weren't they only about an inch lift on a 4x4?

(...though i think i remember your 5100's were set to .85 currently)

What were you trying to improve on from that set-up?
Old 08-18-2010, 11:16 AM   #11
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNYTACOMA View Post
Weren't they only about an inch lift on a 4x4?

(...though i think i remember your 5100's were set to .85 currently)

What were you trying to improve on from that set-up?
I could get the shocks dropped back down to 0 I guess.

See the thing is I really want one of these...

...and I could use the cash
Old 08-18-2010, 11:24 AM   #12
RItacoNEWBE is on a distinguished road
Name: Gerard
RItacoNEWBE's Tacoma Gallery
x 2 on the eibach & 5100,GREAT RIDE
Old 08-18-2010, 11:47 AM   #13

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
I'm sure you could put some 5100's all around and it would feel stiffer. And maybe a stiffer set of coils on the front.

I'd start with that unless someone else has other ides.
If you set the 5100's to 0 and pair them with the OME 886 springs (from what I've read, they're pretty stiff) would you end up with the same stock ride height or are the springs themselves taller also?
Old 08-18-2010, 11:53 AM   #14
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
If you set the 5100's to 0 and pair them with the OME 886 springs (from what I've read, they're pretty stiff) would you end up with the same stock ride height or are the springs themselves taller also?
No it would lift the front 1.6"
Old 08-18-2010, 12:07 PM   #15
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
might have to google, i did a write up about 1 to 1 1/2 years ago on timbrens

they replace the rear bump stops
your rear bumpstops are a very hard rubber,
they act like a variable spring, work great for towing and help a bunch with body roll in turns, but do not affect normal driving

as the body starts to roll ( or go down because of a load in the bed) they
keep it level.

you can google and see more3 detailed explanation about them.

air bags about do the same thing, but you can vary the effect with air pressure. so nice to have a air supply, otherwise ytou would load them and then have to lower or raise the pressure with air

BOTH are easy to install, no modifying of the truck
timbrens just replace the rear bumpstops, air bags use existing brackets and think you use stock bumpstops

both are around $200
I saw they had systems for the front as well correct?
Old 08-18-2010, 12:22 PM   #16
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Okay thanks for your input!!!