1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

rear trd stock shock specs.

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by matthew5olson, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Aug 19, 2010 at 8:23 AM
    matthew5olson

matthew5olson [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    matthew
    pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 ext cab 3.4L 5spd 4x4 sr5
    K&N cold air intake, doug thorley headers, rear sensor simulator, flowmaster 40 series, magnecor plug wires, Royal Purple synthetic gear lube, airaid throttle body spacer, Hyperground system, flex-a-lite elec fan.
    I have a 2004 trd. I have a 4" aal currently. I just got a used set of 5" alcans that I want to use. I understand I should change the rear shock. I need to know if I can use my stock shocks while I measure and order in new ones that are the right length. I won't be taking them offroad till I get new shocks. I can't have my truck out of commission for that long.
    Does anyone know if the stock shocks are long enough to use.

2. Aug 19, 2010 at 8:25 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    They arent "long enough", but you may be fine useing them in a temp manor as long as you stay on the street. Even then, you may break them.

3. Aug 19, 2010 at 8:33 AM
    matthew5olson

Member:
    First Name:
    matthew
    pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    K&N cold air intake, doug thorley headers, rear sensor simulator, flowmaster 40 series, magnecor plug wires, Royal Purple synthetic gear lube, airaid throttle body spacer, Hyperground system, flex-a-lite elec fan.
    By saying "not long enough" you mean for correct functionality and safety. But that they will physically "fit". I just don't want to put the new springs on and then not be able to bolt the shock back on because it didn't extend enough.

4. Aug 19, 2010 at 8:35 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    If it does "fit", it will be at max extension. Your better off waiting for the correct parts to come.

5. Aug 19, 2010 at 8:40 AM
    matthew5olson

Member:
    First Name:
    matthew
    pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    I know its better to wait till the parts come in but in order to get the right length shocks I need to install the new leafs and then measure the travel. I don't have the time to have the truck sit for a week or so while new shocks come in. I just need the truck useable in case I have to run to the store or something like that.

6. Aug 19, 2010 at 4:17 PM
    senna

senna Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Jose CA.
    Vehicle:
    09 DBL CAB TRD-OR OME shocks 885 and AAL
    Maybe go with some shock extenders, for a temporary fix.

7. Aug 19, 2010 at 8:05 PM
    matthew5olson

Member:
    First Name:
    matthew
    pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    those are for 05 and up

8. Dec 11, 2010 at 10:24 AM
    matthew5olson

Member:
    First Name:
    matthew
    pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    I'm updating this thread for future search purposes. I put the 5" aalcans on. The stock shocks were indeed 2" too short even at the extended length. I had to hook my 5k lb trailer up and put about 500lb in the bed and have someone jump up and down in the bed to slip the shocks on.

The ride was the harshest I have ever seen. My aalcans are very stiff and so basically I had no uptravel or downtravel. Every bump was like bottoming out. It was ok to go down the rode to the store. (I had already ordered new shocks of the correct length from downsouth motorsports)

I would not suggest doing this in any bad weather as the tires leave the ground with every bump. It would be dangerous. Definitely this is not a setup to have for any amount of time or to use for daily driving. Perhaps I will measure the old shocks and put the measurements up here for others reference.

Products Discussed in

To Top