Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

rear trd stock shock specs.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:23 AM   #1
matthew5olson is a jewel in the roughmatthew5olson is a jewel in the roughmatthew5olson is a jewel in the rough

Name: matthew
matthew5olson's Tacoma Gallery
rear trd stock shock specs.

I have a 2004 trd. I have a 4" aal currently. I just got a used set of 5" alcans that I want to use. I understand I should change the rear shock. I need to know if I can use my stock shocks while I measure and order in new ones that are the right length. I won't be taking them offroad till I get new shocks. I can't have my truck out of commission for that long.
Does anyone know if the stock shocks are long enough to use.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:25 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
They arent "long enough", but you may be fine useing them in a temp manor as long as you stay on the street. Even then, you may break them.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:33 AM   #3
matthew5olson is a jewel in the roughmatthew5olson is a jewel in the roughmatthew5olson is a jewel in the rough

By saying "not long enough" you mean for correct functionality and safety. But that they will physically "fit". I just don't want to put the new springs on and then not be able to bolt the shock back on because it didn't extend enough.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:35 AM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew5olson View Post
By saying "not long enough" you mean for correct functionality and safety. But that they will physically "fit". I just don't want to put the new springs on and then not be able to bolt the shock back on because it didn't extend enough.
If it does "fit", it will be at max extension. Your better off waiting for the correct parts to come.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:40 AM   #5

I know its better to wait till the parts come in but in order to get the right length shocks I need to install the new leafs and then measure the travel. I don't have the time to have the truck sit for a week or so while new shocks come in. I just need the truck useable in case I have to run to the store or something like that.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:17 PM   #6
senna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to behold
senna's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe go with some shock extenders, for a temporary fix.
http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72
Old 08-19-2010, 08:05 PM   #7

those are for 05 and up
Old 12-11-2010, 10:24 AM   #8

I'm updating this thread for future search purposes. I put the 5" aalcans on. The stock shocks were indeed 2" too short even at the extended length. I had to hook my 5k lb trailer up and put about 500lb in the bed and have someone jump up and down in the bed to slip the shocks on.

The ride was the harshest I have ever seen. My aalcans are very stiff and so basically I had no uptravel or downtravel. Every bump was like bottoming out. It was ok to go down the rode to the store. (I had already ordered new shocks of the correct length from downsouth motorsports)

I would not suggest doing this in any bad weather as the tires leave the ground with every bump. It would be dangerous. Definitely this is not a setup to have for any amount of time or to use for daily driving. Perhaps I will measure the old shocks and put the measurements up here for others reference.