Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

5100's & AAL - about to order, will this work?

Old 08-20-2010, 02:05 PM   #1
dexboi is on a distinguished road
dexboi's Tacoma Gallery
Question 5100's & AAL - about to order, will this work?

I have had my 07 DoubleCab Long Bed Sport 4x4 long enough that it is no longer seeming tall, as it once did when I upgraded to it from my Honda car.

I have been researching lifts here for awhile and learned alot thanks to everyone here. I am about to make my order, but just have a few more things to sort out. I do not have the TSB Rear Leafs, the truck has 62,000 on it and it doesn't sound like I can get this fixed at this point.

Here is what I am thinking about ordering:
  • Bilstein 5100 Series Pre Load Adjustable Front shocks(set to 2.5") - order from DSM
  • 2" lift ToyTec Rear Add-A-Leafs (TAC-AL-HA)
Do I need to get the following with this setup? Or do I just install the front and rears and see how it drives first?
  • Zinc Axle Shims (3 Degree)
  • Driveshaft Carrier Bearing Drop Kit
  • Longer U-Bolts
Does this setup sound like it will work to you guys? I am looking for a similar stance as Squad314's DCLB. THANKS
Old 08-20-2010, 02:08 PM   #2
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Probably won't need to extras. If you do you can order them after the lift is installed.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:30 PM   #3
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I just did the samething. I didn't need any of the extra's. It did take me 3 times to get my alignement right.
Before: w/ just the AAL

After:
Old 08-20-2010, 03:17 PM   #4
dexboi's Tacoma Gallery
Nice, that is good to hear/see it worked out for your rig. Are you happy overall with it now that you got it aligned? Sounds like this should be a go for me.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:28 PM   #5
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexboi View Post
Nice, that is good to hear/see it worked out for your rig. Are you happy overall with it now that you got it aligned? Sounds like this should be a go for me.
Yeah, it has a whole new stance, but the ride and handling never changed.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:16 AM   #6
LouTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Lou Taco
LouTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I would recommend the diff drop kit from Toytec i just did it for a little added security on my CVs i have very slight vibe just for a sec at 5mph or so nothing to bad probably the only one to notice seeing as i know its there
Old 08-22-2010, 07:59 AM   #7
teahupoo is on a distinguished road
teahupoo's Tacoma Gallery
x2 on the vibe
Old 08-23-2010, 03:38 PM   #8
dexboi's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, I have gotten the 5100's and 2" AAL ordered, thanks. I guess I will just see how it drives before getting any other parts.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:11 AM   #9
dexboi's Tacoma Gallery
Alright! I was able to install the AAL's on Friday night, and the 5100's on Sat morning. My initial impressions are that the ride feels more like a 4x4, instead of the spongy suspension before. I might need to look into some rear shocks though, as I think they have topped out a few times from some speed bumps @ 40 MPH.

I took it for alignment Monday. Here are the specs after: Camber=.1, Toe=.04, Caster - (Left= -.3, Right = -.1). I can notice some wandering at high speeds, but I think I will be ok without UCA's.

I have also noticed a slight vibration, which I can feel on the pedal and almost hear a little bit. It is definitely different feeling and sounding when I hit the gas than it was before the lift. Because of this I have just ordered the OME carrier bearing drop kit. Should I also try the differential drop, if not for the vibes than at least for the CV boots?

Attached Thumbnails
5100's & AAL - about to order, will this work?-dscn0019.jpg   5100's & AAL - about to order, will this work?-dscn0021.jpg  
Old 08-31-2010, 07:08 PM   #10
moderately modded
drifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant future

Name: Sam
drifter's Tacoma Gallery
Quick question, will the bilsteins, set at 2.5, cause any UCA damage?
Old 08-31-2010, 09:02 PM   #11
Evasive Maneuvers PMKMS
tacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud of

tacobox's Tacoma Gallery
You may have a vibration after the AAL install. Some do... some don't. I wish I would've installed shims at the same time as my AAL install. To me its worth the extra $70ish to do the extras at the same time some you don't have to pay the labor over again to install the shims/u-bolts.