Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Slight Tire Rub - Rear Block???

Old 08-21-2010, 06:33 PM   #1
Jah310 is on a distinguished road

Jah310's Tacoma Gallery
Slight Tire Rub - Rear Block???

I'm running Icons all around with 285's BFG All Terrians on stock TRDs OR 16inch rims. I've got spidertrax wheel spacers The front is set right about 2.5-3 inches with no rubbing issues.

The rear set up is the TSB along with a 1.5" add a leaf. The setup rides fine, performs great with the exception of slight, slight rub in the rear under full compression. I mean when it's fully stuffed to the point the bump stop hits.
I have some slight rubbing and it's kinda messing with my rear fender. I feel like about a half inch of room would be plenty to alleviate it.

I don't want to spend the money on a whole new leaf pack, (would be nice) and don't want to lose any of travel I'm getting from the rear. It's pretty good considering the rather mild set up.

I was debating a rear block to move the wheel down without losing the upward travel, but everything I read about blocks is bad...

What do you guys think - any ideas? Have you seen 1/2 blocks for sale anywhere? (The smallest I've seen is 1") Other suggestions other than blocks?

Here's a few pics...

Old 08-21-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
a 1" block isnt that bad. you could also trim the inside of the fender flare where it's rubbing
Old 08-21-2010, 07:22 PM   #3
misterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud of
misterquad's Tacoma Gallery
I would not sweat that rubbing. Other than a flexing test, how often will you get into that amount of rubbing?

Add a bit of spacer under the bump stop.

You got wheel spacers on the rear too? Take them off?
Old 08-21-2010, 08:29 PM   #4

Jah310's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
could go timbrens or air bags

would still get the travel
timbrens offer varying resistance as it approaches the bump stops
note i have a 5 lugger 4 banger and they keep my back end level and still give it a good ride ( not qualify for the tsb and didn't want the stiffer ride anyway)
Never heard of Timbrens... is that a kind of leaf pack???
Old 08-21-2010, 08:30 PM   #5
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah310 View Post
They are bumpstops.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:30 PM   #6
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
timbrens are a replacement bumpstop
Old 08-21-2010, 08:32 PM   #7

Jah310's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterquad View Post
I would not sweat that rubbing. Other than a flexing test, how often will you get into that amount of rubbing?

Add a bit of spacer under the bump stop.

You got wheel spacers on the rear too? Take them off?
The only reason I sweat the the rubbing is bc the fender is staring to get messed up...And I've found on my last few 4 wheeling outings I managed to get myself in situations where they rub. Plus it make a rather unsettling noise.

I could try taking the spacer off... but think it might look kinda funny if the front have them...

What could i use to make "space"? I would lose the travel right? Not that it's much...
Old 05-18-2011, 08:57 PM   #8
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Jason'sLawnCare's Tacoma Gallery
Have you gotten the situation under control? I'm currently having the same dilemma. I've read about axle relocation plates but I would think the 3/8" lift they provide would fix it without even needing to move the axle.

http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/new...duct.php?id=80

Where the tire lugs try to rip the fender off I have pulled one of the screws and tucked the fender under it and a washer so it can't pull at it but it is still rubbing the screw and making the lovely noises you mentioned. The first time it happened I thought it was my r&p biting the dust.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:15 PM   #9

Jah310's Tacoma Gallery
Oh wow i haven't check this thread in a while. I ended up getting a block underneath and roved the aal. Ride near stock again and for the most part the rubbing has gone away. It was a one inch block from wheelers.

I'm now however thinking about getting all all pro 3 inch leaf pack as the stock leafs have settled a bit and It tends to bottom out sometimes. Anybody have feedback on them. Everything I've read heard seems good...

Thanks and sorry for the tardy response.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #11

Jah310's Tacoma Gallery
You guys think timbren bump stops would limit travel more than stock bumpstops?
Old 08-08-2012, 06:39 PM   #12
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You guys think timbren bump stops would limit travel more than stock bumpstops?

I have no idea how they compare to stock, but you can adjust the travel to suite your needs with any bump stop. There are many bump stops available to limit up travel for much cheaper then Timbrens. I chose wheelers and inverted them so I can easily adjust my height with longer bolts and plates if ever needed.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:26 PM   #13

Jah310's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry I should have been clearer. I am hoping that they wouldn't reduce the amount of upwards travel compared to the stock bump stops. Since the timbrens are taller it would seem that the axle would travel less distance before being stopped. I know they compress but still wondering if it would limit the overall articulation. no biggie just curious.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #14

Jah310's Tacoma Gallery
So I ended up with a set of Dakar rear leafs as my TSB springs eventually wore out. These provided me with the 2.75 inches of lift and have a great right. Hitting smaller bumps is nice and smooth and large dips are easily absorbed. Flex seems to be okay too. Best part is now I can stuff my 285s right in the fender with no more rubbing. Problem solved. So far so good. Will report back with anything meaningful in the future. (Now I need to lift the front up a bit so I'm level - I'll just crank up front coils...) Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:31 AM   #15
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Had same problem with TSB plus Icon 3 leaf. Axle relocation plate solved the problem. I keep making posts about how it is needed for the TSB plus Icon 3 leaf with the overload removed but noone listens.

Jah, is the Dakar setup smoother than TSB plus Icon? I find mine a lil firm.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #16

Jah310's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
Had same problem with TSB plus Icon 3 leaf. Axle relocation plate solved the problem. I keep making posts about how it is needed for the TSB plus Icon 3 leaf with the overload removed but noone listens.

Jah, is the Dakar setup smoother than TSB plus Icon? I find mine a lil firm.
Yeah i'm surprised more people haven't run into this problem...it was really bothering me as i felt so many people had done the tsb will all or block without any issues.

With regard to the Dakars, I was prepared for it to be a much harsher ride but to my surprise its great. i don't feel every bump in the road the way i did before. And anything major is fairly easily absorbed. I guess they feel more progressive than before... Not sure ifs that makes sense but that how it feels to me...