1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Slight Tire Rub - Rear Block???

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Jah310, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Aug 21, 2010 at 6:33 PM
    Jah310

Jah310 [OP] Member

Member:
    South Bay - Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 Tacoma TRD Off Road - 6 Speed
    URD Short Shift ; SpiderTrax Wheel Spacers ; ARE Shell; Icon Front Coilovers & Rear Reservoirs ; Rear TSB ; 285 BFG AT's, Baja Roof Rack, IBS Dual Battery, ARB Fridge
    I'm running Icons all around with 285's BFG All Terrians on stock TRDs OR 16inch rims. I've got spidertrax wheel spacers The front is set right about 2.5-3 inches with no rubbing issues.

The rear set up is the TSB along with a 1.5" add a leaf. The setup rides fine, performs great with the exception of slight, slight rub in the rear under full compression. I mean when it's fully stuffed to the point the bump stop hits.
    I have some slight rubbing and it's kinda messing with my rear fender. I feel like about a half inch of room would be plenty to alleviate it.

I don't want to spend the money on a whole new leaf pack, (would be nice) and don't want to lose any of travel I'm getting from the rear. It's pretty good considering the rather mild set up.

I was debating a rear block to move the wheel down without losing the upward travel, but everything I read about blocks is bad...

What do you guys think - any ideas? Have you seen 1/2 blocks for sale anywhere? (The smallest I've seen is 1") Other suggestions other than blocks?

Here's a few pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Aug 21, 2010 at 6:37 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    a 1" block isnt that bad. you could also trim the inside of the fender flare where it's rubbing

3. Aug 21, 2010 at 7:22 PM
    misterquad

misterquad Well-Known Member

Member:
    Shawnee, KS
    I would not sweat that rubbing. Other than a flexing test, how often will you get into that amount of rubbing?

Add a bit of spacer under the bump stop.

You got wheel spacers on the rear too? Take them off?

4. Aug 21, 2010 at 8:29 PM
    Jah310

Jah310 [OP] Member

Member:
    South Bay - Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    URD Short Shift ; SpiderTrax Wheel Spacers ; ARE Shell; Icon Front Coilovers & Rear Reservoirs ; Rear TSB ; 285 BFG AT's, Baja Roof Rack, IBS Dual Battery, ARB Fridge
    Never heard of Timbrens... is that a kind of leaf pack???

5. Aug 21, 2010 at 8:30 PM
    1337Taco

1337Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 4X4 Manual
    They are bumpstops.

6. Aug 21, 2010 at 8:30 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    timbrens are a replacement bumpstop

7. Aug 21, 2010 at 8:32 PM
    Jah310

Jah310 [OP] Member

Member:
    South Bay - Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    The only reason I sweat the the rubbing is bc the fender is staring to get messed up...And I've found on my last few 4 wheeling outings I managed to get myself in situations where they rub. Plus it make a rather unsettling noise.

I could try taking the spacer off... but think it might look kinda funny if the front have them...

What could i use to make "space"? I would lose the travel right? Not that it's much...

8. May 18, 2011 at 8:57 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    Have you gotten the situation under control? I'm currently having the same dilemma. I've read about axle relocation plates but I would think the 3/8" lift they provide would fix it without even needing to move the axle.

http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/new/detaproduct.php?id=80

Where the tire lugs try to rip the fender off I have pulled one of the screws and tucked the fender under it and a washer so it can't pull at it but it is still rubbing the screw and making the lovely noises you mentioned. The first time it happened I thought it was my r&p biting the dust.

9. Aug 7, 2012 at 8:15 PM
    Jah310

Jah310 [OP] Member

Member:
    South Bay - Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Oh wow i haven't check this thread in a while. I ended up getting a block underneath and roved the aal. Ride near stock again and for the most part the rubbing has gone away. It was a one inch block from wheelers.

I'm now however thinking about getting all all pro 3 inch leaf pack as the stock leafs have settled a bit and It tends to bottom out sometimes. Anybody have feedback on them. Everything I've read heard seems good...

Thanks and sorry for the tardy response.

10. Aug 7, 2012 at 8:17 PM
    Taco me elmo

Taco me elmo Here, Eat some paint. Drink some Bleach.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tophat bobcat
    North of South, East of West
    Vehicle:
    Slow polished TuRD
    Anti theft 5-Speed
    Get a 1 inch lift shackle

11. Aug 8, 2012 at 6:33 PM
    Jah310

Jah310 [OP] Member

Member:
    South Bay - Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    You guys think timbren bump stops would limit travel more than stock bumpstops?

12. Aug 8, 2012 at 6:39 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

I have no idea how they compare to stock, but you can adjust the travel to suite your needs with any bump stop. There are many bump stops available to limit up travel for much cheaper then Timbrens. I chose wheelers and inverted them so I can easily adjust my height with longer bolts and plates if ever needed.

13. Aug 8, 2012 at 8:26 PM
    Jah310

Jah310 [OP] Member

Member:
    South Bay - Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Sorry I should have been clearer. I am hoping that they wouldn't reduce the amount of upwards travel compared to the stock bump stops. Since the timbrens are taller it would seem that the axle would travel less distance before being stopped. I know they compress but still wondering if it would limit the overall articulation. no biggie just curious.

14. Jan 2, 2013 at 9:13 PM
    Jah310

Jah310 [OP] Member

Member:
    South Bay - Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    So I ended up with a set of Dakar rear leafs as my TSB springs eventually wore out. These provided me with the 2.75 inches of lift and have a great right. Hitting smaller bumps is nice and smooth and large dips are easily absorbed. Flex seems to be okay too. Best part is now I can stuff my 285s right in the fender with no more rubbing. Problem solved. So far so good. Will report back with anything meaningful in the future. (Now I need to lift the front up a bit so I'm level - I'll just crank up front coils...) Thanks for everyone's help.

15. Jan 3, 2013 at 10:31 AM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Had same problem with TSB plus Icon 3 leaf. Axle relocation plate solved the problem. I keep making posts about how it is needed for the TSB plus Icon 3 leaf with the overload removed but noone listens.

Jah, is the Dakar setup smoother than TSB plus Icon? I find mine a lil firm.

16. Jan 7, 2013 at 3:19 PM
    Jah310

Jah310 [OP] Member

Member:
    South Bay - Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Yeah i'm surprised more people haven't run into this problem...it was really bothering me as i felt so many people had done the tsb will all or block without any issues.

With regard to the Dakars, I was prepared for it to be a much harsher ride but to my surprise its great. i don't feel every bump in the road the way i did before. And anything major is fairly easily absorbed. I guess they feel more progressive than before... Not sure ifs that makes sense but that how it feels to me...

Products Discussed in

To Top