Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Ripped UCA ball joint cover

Old 08-22-2010, 10:06 AM   #1
sdheda is on a distinguished road
Name: Sherj
sdheda's Tacoma Gallery
Ripped UCA ball joint cover

I bought a set of used LR UCA from a fellow member here, and the ball joint cover is ripped.

Is it okay if I install it, or would I need to get a new ball joint?

Old 08-22-2010, 10:16 AM   #2
Can you skin Grizz, pilgram?
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
tacomakid96's Tacoma Gallery
Is it installed or are you going to install it?
Old 08-22-2010, 10:17 AM   #3
sdheda's Tacoma Gallery
It hasn't been installed yet. A fellow member was going to help me install it today, and when I was getting my stuff ready I noticed that it was ripped.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:18 AM   #4
You think I was rollin out here naked?
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MA
ToucanV13's Tacoma Gallery
SUbbed, I just saw both my stockers are ripped
Old 08-22-2010, 10:19 AM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
The boot holds in the grease. If/When it leaks out, the ball joint will wear out.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:20 AM   #6
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Get a new boot, because its already ripped so it will rip more.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:22 AM   #7
sdheda's Tacoma Gallery
Would i need to order the boot from Light Racing, or is it something I can find at a local parts store like Autozone or Kragen.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:24 AM   #8

autozone has them, I got mine for $3 per boot.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:27 AM   #9
sdheda's Tacoma Gallery
Do you by any chance remember the part number? will this work with a LR UCA?

If I take the UCA to autozone, will they know which boot will work?
Old 08-22-2010, 10:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdheda View Post
Do you by any chance remember the part number? will this work with a LR UCA?

If I take the UCA to autozone, will they know which boot will work?
They will get the OEM replacement for it, which should be Duralast with them, I dont have the part number but if you just go in they can get the part on the computer, normally I wouldnt go to autozone but its just a boot so they should be able to get you hooked up with the right part.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:34 AM   #11
You think I was rollin out here naked?
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MA
ToucanV13's Tacoma Gallery
Do you just undo the bolt and lift up and slide the new one on?
Old 08-22-2010, 10:37 AM   #12

Should work.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:38 AM   #13
sdheda's Tacoma Gallery
The boot on the LR is bigger than the stock. I don't think a stock replacement will fit.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:51 AM   #14

What kind of UCA's are they?
Old 08-22-2010, 12:06 PM   #15
sdheda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomakid96 View Post
What kind of UCA's are they?
they are ball joint, but the boot is larger than the stock from visual comparison.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:10 PM   #16
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdheda View Post
they are ball joint, but the boot is larger than the stock from visual comparison.
Dude, call up fatbobsgarage.com and see if they replacement parts

No place local is gonna carry that...

801-395-2134
Old 08-23-2010, 10:05 AM   #17
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
One other thing - check full articulation and see if there is a reason it ripped. Typically they don't rip on their own.

What brand are they?
Old 08-23-2010, 02:47 PM   #18
sdheda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMurphy View Post
One other thing - check full articulation and see if there is a reason it ripped. Typically they don't rip on their own.

What brand are they?
I haven't installed them yet, so I cant check for articulation. I also tried moving the joint by hand, but it doesn't want to move. Is it normally that hard to move the ball joint?

Either way I just ordered 4 boots from SPC, the makers of the Light Racing UCA. Cost was ~3 per boot plus shipping, so it came out to $22.

I really hope that nothing is wrong with the ball joint. Is there somewhere I can take it to be checked?

I just want to install my lift and get it over with. There has been nothing but one problem after another. (I recently made a thread about a bent axle shim I received.) I can't wait for the surprises that will come with the install.