Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Fox coilovers vs drop bracket lift

Old 08-22-2010, 05:46 PM   #1
Nothin' Special
especk is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
especk's Tacoma Gallery
Fox coilovers vs drop bracket lift

So right now I'm running a 2.5 inch Daystar coilover spacer lift with 32 inch tires on a 2010 reg cab 4 cyl.

I want to upgrade to a better lift. I was looking at the Pro Comp 6'' stage 2 lift with 35"s but thinking it may be too high. I would gear it with 4.88's but would I have any driveline issues or any other problems to worry about?

Or secondly, I was thinking about running Fox coilovers in the front with All-pro 3'' leafs in the rear. Would I need to worry about any CV issues with the new coilovers? Also, does anyone know how much lift the 2.5 Fox coilovers will give me? I think it's 3", but not sure. What's the largest tire I would be able to use with this set up?

Thanks
Old 08-22-2010, 06:05 PM   #2
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
coilovers will give you 3" max. but i wouldnt go over 2.5" due to putting to much tension on the springs making them very stiff.
33" tires max on a 3" lift but you will get rubbing at full turn and reverse.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:14 PM   #3
DAMN GOOD DEAL!!
TRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kenny
TRDKenE's Tacoma Gallery
Drop brakets will be the way to go. B/C the drop brackets will give you the lift while keeping all of your steering/axle components in the same position preventing wear/alignment issues/vibrations and so on. If I wanted to lift my truck 4" I would do drop brakets. Anytime you lift with shocks/springs/coilovers you loose some down travel. With drop brakets you keep all of your down travel
Old 08-22-2010, 09:05 PM   #4
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

but drop brackets also weaken your suspension...and make your center of gravity higher with the 6" lift. not the ideal set up for wheeling. if you dont wheel too hard and are mostly on road it would be ok.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:32 AM   #5
tacoma44x44 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jamie
tacoma44x44's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^ I don't agree with a DB lift weakening your suspension??? if anything makes it way stronger.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:39 AM   #6

so cutting your solid crossmember and bolting in a new piece makes it stronger? I hope he wont be around any rocks to snag it on! you gain no additional ground clearance with a DB lift...so other than looks they dont serve that much of a purpose
Old 08-23-2010, 09:41 AM   #7
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I would rather stay away from a DB lift if you wheel. They don't really add to much clearance besides being able to stick bigger tires on it.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:47 AM   #8
Ya cutting out your pissy ass cross member and replacing it with 1/4 inch steal brackets is making it worse? All the cross members are so thin and weak it's actually really disappointing.

I'm not debating the fact you don't gain any ground clearance but the DB lifts beaf up the suspension way more than the shitty stock setup.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:49 AM   #9
Coolidge will become famous soon enough

Name: Guy
Coolidge's Tacoma Gallery
DB lifts are a piece of shit. Dont ruin your truck. (Unless thats what youre going for?)
Old 08-24-2010, 08:34 PM   #10
Nothin' Special
especk is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

especk's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the comments. I knew that some of you would be hating on the DB lift. But besides a higher center of gravity and possibly slightly weaker suspension components and relatively low front diff clearance, what else do I need to worry about with the DB lift - anything? This truck wont be used for wheelin' too much. It will mainly be a street rig but will occasionaly be taken offroad for huntin but probably no serious wheelin'.

Will I have any CV or driveline issues with the higher lift? Any serious vibration issues I should be aware of? I am mainly concerned about any critical angles that may be made by the 6" DB lift. Any comments would be appreciated.

thanks!
Old 08-24-2010, 08:39 PM   #11
thats what the DB lift does is keep all your suspension components as close to factory specs as possible.

But for the most part you will be sacrificing something with any type of "lift"

I get driveline vibes pretty bad so i am gonna be looking into a 1 piece driveshaft
Old 08-24-2010, 09:17 PM   #13
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
i have these but 3"

Pretty dirty i know
Old 08-25-2010, 08:24 AM   #14
i am running a 6" fabtech just installed it a week ago

I see you have a 2010 so you kinda have to go with the Pro comp its the only one that's compatible with your VSC. The pro comp kit is a nice setup, but just a suggestion if i was you i would get the stage 1 and upgrade to the icon 6" coilovers for the fronts. i have heard nothing but good things about them.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:23 AM   #15
Banned
Masada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Taylor
Masada's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
but drop brackets also weaken your suspension...and make your center of gravity higher with the 6" lift. not the ideal set up for wheeling. if you dont wheel too hard and are mostly on road it would be ok.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
so cutting your solid crossmember and bolting in a new piece makes it stronger? I hope he wont be around any rocks to snag it on! you gain no additional ground clearance with a DB lift...so other than looks they dont serve that much of a purpose
X2 to both of those...
Old 08-25-2010, 10:34 AM   #16
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Old 08-25-2010, 11:34 AM   #17
Nothin' Special

especk's Tacoma Gallery
ok guys so i'm goin with a Pro Comp 6" stage II. I appreciate all the comments. Last thing - I'm a 4 cyl and I'm gonna throw in 4.88s when I get it lifted. My question is, should I go with 33" tires or 35"s? I'm concerned my truck may not have enough power to push those 35's even with the regear.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:43 AM   #18
if you just got the 4 banger i would go with the 33's but if your re gearing you should be fine with the 35's..
Old 08-30-2010, 07:46 PM   #19
09OFF-ROAD is on a distinguished road
09OFF-ROAD's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 09 Off Road with a 3" spacer and 3" body lift with 35's. Should I re-gear? I find the truck a little bit worse then stock for acceleration and losing speed on hills but nothing worth talking about. Where would you buy gears to do it??
Old 08-30-2010, 08:01 PM   #20
Boomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boomtacoma01's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by especk View Post
But besides a higher center of gravity and possibly slightly weaker suspension components and relatively low front diff clearance, what else do I need to worry about with the DB lift - anything?

thanks!

Warranty, trade in value, Higher COG, overpriced...

For a street rig it should be OK though. Id go another route but....To each his own. Just get your gearing correct.